Seedling Help

Dabrat

I germinated the seed using the papertowel method and had a root within a couple days.I then planted it in soil made by Schultz called potting soil.It does have slow release nutes as well.I planted in a small 4" or so peat cup that will break down when planted in soil saving it from having to be removed and replanted.Well its been about 10 days now with watering about every 3 or so days and under 18/6 lighting using cfl's.I still have only the first 2 oval leaves and it has not grown since then and is now starting to yellow on the leaved.I am really thinking it has to do with my temps as they are about 70-72 during the day and goes down to about 55-58...sometimes lower at night when the lights go out.I really cant see it needing any food at this stage and water im sure is ok ...i use a water meter as well...but it just wont grow.The stem is about a 1.5" tall and I since transplanted to a larger container hoping it will help.I would really like to save it if I can....any help is appreciated...Will post a pic shortly

I germinated the seed using the papertowel method and had a root within a couple days.I then planted it in soil made by Schultz called potting soil.It does have slow release nutes as well.I planted in a small 4" or so peat cup that will break down when planted in soil saving it from having to be removed and replanted.Well its been about 10 days now with watering about every 3 or so days and under 18/6 lighting using cfl's.I still have only the first 2 oval leaves and it has not grown since then and is now starting to yellow on the leaved.I am really thinking it has to do with my temps as they are about 70-72 during the day and goes down to about 55-58...sometimes lower at night when the lights go out.I really cant see it needing any food at this stage and water im sure is ok ...i use a water meter as well...but it just wont grow.The stem is about a 1.5" tall and I since transplanted to a larger container hoping it will help.I would really like to save it if I can....any help is appreciated...Will post a pic shortly

For seedlings I put it as close to the light as possible with out touching it or getting a burn. I also leave my lights on 24/7. 18/6 is really for when your vegging. Having said that, you can go 18/6, but I think 24/7 is best. So put your light as close as possible and I would go 24/7. Also, don't over water. I let the top dry out good and then I feel down about 2". If it still feels pretty moist I wait. But if it's not very moist I water. Your temps sound like they are too cold also at night. If your watering every 3 days in a large container you just may be watering too much. Also, sounds like that soil has time release nutes. You don't want that. That could be the problem as well. Next time, get a good organic soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest or Sunshine. Or go to a garden center and get a good organic soil. Or you can make your own organic soil. Just stay away with soils that have time release nutes in it. Seedlings don't really need nutes for 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes longer if you get a soil like FFOF Any one of, some of, or all these could be your problem. JMO.

Thanks Mad Dawg and Green Thumb...I definately want to work on my temps for nighttime as they drop way too much.Also for any others I am going to get a different soil to start with for sure.My lights are CFL's and are about 2 inches above...I have a 400 watt HPS and MH kit for later on when they get big enough to put under it.

Thanks Mad Dawg and Green Thumb...I definately want to work on my temps for nighttime as they drop way too much.Also for any others I am going to get a different soil to start with for sure.My lights are CFL's and are about 2 inches above...I have a 400 watt HPS and MH kit for later on when they get big enough to put under it.

Your welcome buddy. Sounds like your lights are close enough. I personally think it's either the soil or over watering. Your all set up as for the HPS/MH go.

Good luck man. It's all a learning experience for us all. I myself still have loads of questions as I am working on my first grow. But I have learned a lot and continue to learn. One of the reasons for joining this site. To learn from those who know a heck of a lot more than I do!

Its kind of an uphill battle as far as seeds go too...It is just bag seed that I got for free from a buddy..gave me about 50 of them but they are over a year old and as I just put the last of them in a cup of water I noticed they are all pretty pale looking and have the wrinkled look going on...There was a couple that were still dark and still had their tiger stripes so we will see if any will germinate for me....having only 1 seedling is not very good odds for a female but it good seed for a trial run before I hit up the seed bank for some goodies.Thanks for the replies guys...will definately be making some changes.I have a sweet cab I am still working on for when I get going so Im pretty hyped to get some plants growing

BRO!! Sometimes you will luck out and get crazy killer plants from bag seed. I totaly did man..I got a crazy purple strain...aww man its delicious!! And I have a bunch of Sativa Dominant girls...its crazy. Sativa grow different around week 5 or 6 you can really tell. I just noticed them last week and WOW I am super impressed. Will get some head dhots this week coming. check out my journal

Ok another question as I havent been having any luck yet.How does everyone who reads this start their seeds once germinated.I use the papertowel method with no problems germinating..however I want to know how people here take the first week or two.

right now I am trying a different method as there are mixed opinions as to what is best.I have my seed in a pixie cup with about a 1" layer of perlite on the bottom with drainage holes for drainage.The cup is about 3/4 full of miracle grow seed starter soil that is made for germinating and seed starting.I soaked the soil the first round to flush the soil and get it settled.Then I just put the tip of the pencil in and have just enough of a hole for the seed itself and then just covered with a bit of soil.I have covered it with cling wrap and it is now in a warm and dark place....when it sprouts I will put it under my cfl's.

The mixed opinions are how deep to go..some say to put it about 2cm's and some say to lay on the soil and just sprinkle a little soil over it so that you can almost still see the seed......And some say to put it under the light right away whereas some say to keep it dark until it sprouts...What Do You All Here Think?

I am hoping to get another plant growing out of the few I have left now.

When I see the tap root has come out a little bit, I put it tap root down in soil. Mostly I have used a plastic cup like solo cups, poke holes in the bottom for drainage and fill them up with the soil. I water the soil till I get run off and then I let the cup sit for 10 or 15 minutes. I take a pencil and make a 1/4 deep hole, then drop it in tap root down and cover loosely. I take a baggie and slip it over the cup to keep the moisture in until it pops the surface. Then I remove the baggie. Actually I use a zip lock bag. Not zipped of course lol. Some use saran wrap. And that's it. And I keep the soil moist, not soaked, for the first few days.

I put mine under my florescent right away. I have read where others keep it in darkness but I figure, it's covered with soil even if it's loosely, so it's still dark under the soil.

I use a 60/40 mix of FFOF mixed with Sunshine 8. You got to be careful with using Miracle Grow. I don't know about their seed starting mix. But if you plan on using MG use their organic. But if you can get your hands on some FFOF, Sunshine, Pro Mix, or some other good organic soil, then I would do that.

But anyway man that's how I do mine.

Thanks for your input Mad..See I am trying MG seed starter because I was using a reg. potting soil but had no luck with my first plant as its basically dead now....likely temp and hot soil..so I changed it up to this.It is 60% organic and the rest has little to no fertilizer or slow release nutes in it.I am hoping that will make the difference.I also never covered it before with anything or kept it dark so we will see how that theory works for me.Reason for using the MG is because I dont have a good garden centre close by that sells good soils.I have walmart,home depot, canadian tire etc and 1 actual nursery but have not seen Fox farms there at all.There is a promix but it was a peat moss mix if im not mistaken.What exact promix would be best for the whole grow? thanks again for your reply

I don't know much about the pro mix line. I have just read where a lot of others use it. I know they make an organic soil though that you can see here High Tech Garden Supply. You basically want a soil that is higher in N (Nitrogen) than in P (Phosphorus) and K (Potassium). Something like 20-10-10 or 10-7-5. Just don't get the cheapest soil you can find though. One that has been processed right or sterilized which most of your good quality soils have been. That lessens your chances of unwanted parasites etc... Sunshine is used at a lot of garden centers for their plants. So maybe you can find some at a garden center. Too bad you don't have a hydro store nearby. They could hook you up.

Dabrat, I seed and grow for two weeks in Miracle Grow Starter mix. I don't fertilize at all for the first three weeks.

Mandala Seeds actually recommends starting in Miracle Grow starting mix. I've got mixed results. They don't grow fast, but they don't die.

I do know that soil dries out in about 18 hours using a 250 watt metal halide and a little fan. The plants are in little pots about 4 inches across.

Well I did get another seed that germed and I then tried my new method of planting but did not water at all when first planted.I checked a few days later and the root was gone again.This has happened to about 10 different seeds now that germinated for me.I know most of them were likely overwatering and ended with root rot but why did the last one rot off too? Has anybody had this kind of problem before? Does everyone water before planting the germed seed into soil? I can't understand that out of all the seeds I had only 1 sprouted and then later died.....Any ideas? ...Is it really this hard to get a plant to sprout?

Back
Top Bottom