Seedling paranoia

pdgenoa

420 Member
These are some Blackberry and Northern Lights fem seedlings only one day after putting sprouted seeds in jiffy peat plugs.

After a string of failed seedlings I'm now paranoid about every tiny change. So what has me spooked is the lightning speed these popped up and stretched.

I have a grow tent but they're currently in a cardboard box with two, 23w cfl's about 8" above them. They're uncovered in the photos but there's a clear lid for moisture retention that fits over the tray.

Does anyone see anything here I should be concerned about or should change?

Good advice, especially on seedlings. I overdid it on my first grow about four years ago.

These just wicked up a watering when I took the shot so good eye. Thank you very much.

Do you recommend helping them with the shell or just let it drop naturally? That one looks really tight on top holding in the cotyledon is why I ask.

I have removed seed and had it stick to the dicot leaf and kill the plant. Also had it not too... But in nature that sees will come off by itself, if you are a bit paranoid watch and monitor. I would think you have been too attentive and killing them with kindness. I still do this after 20 yrs on the odd occasion and am still learning to let things be sometimes, choosing when to do or not to do all comes down to experience.

*Wet feet/roots not so good unless water is airated
*warm soil replicates spring and a plastic cup will provide humidity and temperature stability
** Nothing compares to light from the sun, and seedlings love it
*AS above so below, what happens on top is what is happening to the roots, if the plant is 2 inchs the roots are 2 inches.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks. I wanted to wait till the first true leaves look healthy enough but as many as I have (9 not shown) I probably have to act quicker.

I have removed seed and had it stick to the dicot leaf and kill the plant. Also had it not too... But in nature that sees will come off by itself, if you are a bit paranoid watch and monitor. I would think you have been too attentive and killing them with kindness. I still do this after 20 yrs on the odd occasion and am still learning to let things be sometimes, choosing when to do or not to do all comes down to experience.

*Wet feet/roots not so good unless water is airated
*warm soil replicates spring and a plastic cup will provide humidity and temperature stability
** Nothing compares to light from the sun, and seedlings love it
*AS above so below, what happens on top is what is happening to the roots, if the plant is 2 inchs the roots are 2 inches.

Hope this helps a bit.
That helps a lot, thanks. I'd forgotten the above/below mantra and that gives me some peace of mind. I'd love to give my seedlings real sunlight but I don't trust neighbors. I'm also glad you mentioned how long you've done it. It was really bugging me I was having all these issues with my first couple seedling batches this year considering I've done this long enough for six harvests (not nearly how many you've done in 20 years!). I blame my issues on complacency.

I have had seed lay dormant for 3 months. Didn't water just left pot aside, then bam! Got nice smoke from that one.
I find 3 to 10 days for seed germ. But wait 2 weeks to be sure. Also moon planting for timing seed drop for max germination is a good idea.
Having said that always remember anything on this planets first instinct is to survive and then to procreate and further the linage, this can always be used to our advantage.

Do you have to buy your seed PD?
Also have a friend who had issues last yr with seedlings so I got 16 up and running for him, do you have that option and a kind friend?

Lol shitty neighbors don't help. Lots and lots of failures in that time my friend. Had 50 plants ripped at show stage all were a meter square, and had to start again 3 yrs ago. Since then I have crossed and bred my own strain and have grown year round outside.
Although this was devastating it drove me to be more focused and the last 2 years have finally yielded near the results I want. Lol and I'm still learning and screwing up all the time.
Failure drives evaluation which breeds critical thinking.
Any questions I'm happy to help if I can.

I have had seed lay dormant for 3 months. Didn't water just left pot aside, then bam! Got nice smoke from that one.
I find 3 to 10 days for seed germ. But wait 2 weeks to be sure. Also moon planting for timing seed drop for max germination is a good idea.
Having said that always remember anything on this planets first instinct is to survive and then to procreate and further the linage, this can always be used to our advantage.

Do you have to buy your seed PD?
Also have a friend who had issues last yr with seedlings so I got 16 up and running for him, do you have that option and a kind friend?
Thanks for the advice. I've generally kept going by cloning and re-vegging but lately I've been purchasing through Seedsman. They're good and I pay a little extra for stealth shipping.

Lol shitty neighbors don't help. Lots and lots of failures in that time my friend. Had 50 plants ripped at show stage all were a meter square, and had to start again 3 yrs ago. Since then I have crossed and bred my own strain and have grown year round outside.
Although this was devastating it drove me to be more focused and the last 2 years have finally yielded near the results I want. Lol and I'm still learning and screwing up all the time.
Failure drives evaluation which breeds critical thinking.
Any questions I'm happy to help if I can.

That's encouraging, thank you. I hope to start breeding my own in the next year. My hope is that we'll get a SCOTUS ruling from one of the state suits pending and open up legality nationally. My dream is a system similar to craft beers for private growers. Well, that's my "realistic" dream - I'd prefer very limited regs but that's not likely.

Like minds. I too would love to see the people who have seed banked and bred in the corners if the world, usually illegally, have the opportunity to show their wares to the world. I see us heading down the GM controlled seed and grow path here. Restricting full potential of a plant that grows outside to indoor under light or other restrictions.
Monsanto already has seed in the hemp grow up the road.
Restricting us will lead us down the highly resistant to all drugs viral/bacteria path and lead to poor quality plants and medicine. I see it in the mono cropping and the tissue culture banannas prone to Panama and bananna freckle diseases because they have no genetic diversity same with the corn. F*#@ why can't these bastards just see the pattern repeating.
Anywho we have the opportunity here and I plan to take it. Hope you guys get similar results over there, watching closely.

Thanks for the advice. I've generally kept going by cloning and re-vegging but lately I've been purchasing through Seedsman. They're good and I pay a little extra for stealth shipping.

Have never heard anything negative about seedsman and I am going to go through them once the fundage is up to the task. A mate has Lupus and skunk 1 does it for him and white widow for me, bonus for me will be WW is a parent to my white rhino and I've just seeded with Masa Critika also another parent of WR. So happy days in the gene pool when that happens.

Have never heard anything negative about seedsman and I am going to go through them once the fundage is up to the task. A mate has Lupus and skunk 1 does it for him and white widow for me, bonus for me will be WW is a parent to my white rhino and I've just seeded with Masa Critika also another parent of WR. So happy days in the gene pool when that happens.

I just ordered some seeds from there this week end. Waiting to receive them. The price was good and they have a good selection too. Also I pay with bitcoins and they give you rebates when you pay with this method. its cool.
Ordered other seeds from 420 before. They are cool too but its more expensive. Thats the plants im growing right now. Also their seeds all germinated.

Back
Top Bottom