The Jiffy-Garden and me.

SmokeyMcMedic

Hey all! So I was wondering if anyone out there has used the Jiffy-Garden 12 spot greenhouse to germinate seeds. For those who don't know what I am talking about, it is basically a black plastic tray that comes with a lid. Inside are disks of dehydrated peat. You re-hydrate the peat so it expands into a cylinder, and pop the seeds in. You then cover with the provided equipment, and set in a dark place. Has anyone out there used one of these before, and if so, how long did it take your plants to sprout? :peace:

Hey all! So I was wondering if anyone out there has used the Jiffy-Garden 12 spot greenhouse to germinate seeds. For those who don't know what I am talking about, it is basically a black plastic tray that comes with a lid. Inside are disks of dehydrated peat. You re-hydrate the peat so it expands into a cylinder, and pop the seeds in. You then cover with the provided equipment, and set in a dark place. Has anyone out there used one of these before, and if so, how long did it take your plants to sprout? :peace:

Why pay for that if you can just germ in paper towels for pennies? I dont doubt it works just only serves a small purpose in the whole scale.

I had a bad experience with peat pucks, 1 out of 10 sprouted. Now I always germ in a paper-towel in a ziplock bag. I won't even use peat pucks after my seed has cracked.

Im right there with you gunja. So... I planted 12 seeds in the Jiffy. 7 of them sprouted. Initially, I thought that was a good sign...then they started to s t r e t c h.... big time. I transplanted and within a week, all of my sprouts were dead. I will never use a Jiffy Garden for this particular purpose again. I would like to see how they do with flowers and vegetables and shit though.....

Back
Top Bottom