Seedlings doing badly

Grandma Weedstein

Hey there,

So my seedlings aren’t doing too well and I’m not sure what the problem is. Seem to be growing a lot slower than last year, which was my first year. Sort of yellow too, and the leaves are kind of curled. I think it may be too much water but I’ve only water once — however, I planted the seeds into soil that was pretty dang soggy. The lights are standard LED type white lights that I’ve grown other plants under without problem. I keep the room at about 72 F and they’ve also had a heat mat, so I don’t think they’re cold. Do you think they can recover or are these stunted for good?

They seem pretty puny for about a week old:
3CE24C20-8DF6-49D9-852B-87D3F18C99A9.jpeg

Wet soil likely let them dry a little more
Patience my friend give it time
What is the humidity like in the room?
It’s probably slightly more humid than the rest of the house, as it’s the bathroom where I shower. I don’t have fancy humidometers or whatever they’re called.

@The lights are standard LED type white lights
Have you actually got the lights on the grow or are you saying you're relying on the room's house lights?
Forgive the question but the girls seem to be stretching badly to me.

@The lights are standard LED type white lights
Have you actually got the lights on the grow or are you saying you're relying on the room's house lights?
Forgive the question but the girls seem to be stretching badly to me.
I do have a light right over them tho not visible in this picture. Maybe I’ll move them even closer.

The lights are standard LED type white lights that I’ve grown other plants under without problem.

The same ones? If so... I have read that heat can degrade LEDs. And if you haven't cut the "everything but the white" filter off of a screw-in LED bulb, that's like throwing a blanket over yourself in Summer. Plus, it is very true that our eyes make some of the worst light meters imaginable, lol - well before we notice that any given light source is dimmer, it will have degraded significantly.

If all else fails, go get new bulbs.

And with the tape measure from your sewing basket tell us height of light{s} above the grow.
Also and to show how much we love you, a photo of the lights please.
Then I promise not to bother you anymore!

And with the tape measure from your sewing basket tell us height of light{s} above the grow.
Yea I’ll get a photo later — I don’t feel like looking for tape measure.
But just as an update for now, I’m pretty sure the soil is the problem. I usually get really top notch stuff from the grow shop but had to settle for some rando shit from BiMart on account of limited shopping and travel. I checked today and the soil is still waterlogged as hell even tho I haven’t watered since Sunday. I figure I will let them dry out more and then go super light on watering. Hopefully I can leave them outside more when the weather here clears up and then the soil will dry out faster in the sun. Probably will help also if their roots manage to grow bigger. Anyway, just shows it’s worth investing in good soil.

Probably will help also if their roots manage to grow bigger. Anyway, just shows it’s worth investing in good soil.
I'm messing about outside (yes, honestly) trying various seeds, none of them our kind but simply any to test the garden soil whilst waiting for the courier to show up, being an outdoor grow freak.
Some of them germied, some of em not, some on wet tissue and some in a pot. I'll be talking to the cat next.

Trust all is well with you GW.

Wet soil likely let them dry a little more
Patience my friend give it time
What is the humidity like in the room?
They look good for a week old, might be alittle too wet.
So basically no growth over the last week and a half since my first post, in fact looking worse. I’ve cut way back on watering but I think they’re stunted at this point. I waited until they were nearly bone dry before watering yesterday. Note the super curled yellow leaves and necrosis at the tips. This is from too heavy overwatered soil, right? Any chance they’ll still grow or are these done for? Luckily I’ve got a decent amount of seeds from crosses I made last year. I’ve started some more seeds just in case but I want to avoid the same mistake in the future — especially if I spend money on new genetics.
6DD3DC48-BC44-4C0A-9B28-E3141F94D319.jpeg

Another reason I like coco
You don't have to worry about drenching little ones as much
Yea I regret using cheap potting soil but with all this corona bullshit I haven’t driven into the big city for a while and they don’t have any grow shops close to me.
What I’m wondering is, when do I draw the line at watering when the seeds haven’t popped from the soil yet?
I feel like I overwatered before they popped because I was afraid of the seeds drying out. I stopped when they popped but by that time the soil was drenched and problems started almost right away.
I didn’t have this problem last year with better soil, tho, so I guess I’ll just focus on that from now on.
What I do is soak the seeds over night with the goal of “activating” them then plant into fairly wet soil. Is it enough to keep the soil just moist or does the seed actually need to be wet?

They look really good at 7 days I suspect too much water and not the soil.The way I do it.At 7 days wait until the soil is dry then circle around the plant with about 30 ml of water,make the roots chase the water.Depending on humidity, temp,lights and soil the 30 mls will dry out once or twice a day or might take 2 days..Increase up to 50 mls after 2 -4 days. and so on.

Attachments

• 30 mls 001.jpg
    30 mls 001.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom