New seedlings, same problem

Grandma Weedstein

So I fucked up my last batch of seedlings by overwatering them, with the leaves curling down and looking shitty. I’ve been really careful with the new batch but one of them is already showing similar problems. I’ve been watering VERY judiciously and most look fine, but this one’s all droopy and shitty looking. What the hell? (Lower left hand corner)

A69CD2EB-5AD5-47E5-8B52-BF5CE8CC0C60.jpeg

That looks like it's over fertilized. Are you using a hot soil like Miracle Grow or Miracle Grow Perlite?

I had the exact same thing happen. Grab a bag of Happy Frog and a bag of vigoro Perlite and transplant that one and it'll perk right up. Just be very careful not to break the tap root.

Dipping it out with a tablespoon carefully should work.

I did learn that the bottom few inches of the pot, I use 7 gallon fabric, can be miracle grow and not hurt anything.

Yeah, I’m not too worried about it, just wondering what’s up with that one. These are the results of two strains I crossed and will be used for further crosses. That one with the droopy leaves got an X mark on it — sort of a de-merit — so I’ll probably avoid using it unless it reveals some other beneficial traits to make up for its wimpiness.

I’m using soil that the grow shop guy specifically recommended as not being too hot, so that may not be the issue.

When a seedling claws like that it's almost always reacting to hot soil or to much fertilizer. Even the same seeds can have one that has less tolerance than the other three.

I've only seen it a couple dozen times. It may straighten out on it's own but every time I've transplanted one it uncurled overnight but hey you got this.

When a seedling claws like that it's almost always reacting to hot soil or to much fertilizer. Even the same seeds can have one that has less tolerance than the other three.

I've only seen it a couple dozen times. It may straighten out on it's own but every time I've transplanted one it uncurled overnight but hey you got this.
The leaves are more flaccid and droopy than curled. It’s acting like it’s not taking up water even after I watered it. Even the stem seems like it’s flagging a bit.

I’m thinking it got shocked during transplant from the tiny container I started it in. There was one seedling that the soil sort of disintegrated as I was transplanting. So, perhaps damage to tap root.

Even if it is too hot of soil, I don’t really have other options — I don’t plan on spending a couple hours driving to town and back to buy another soil for one seedling, when it might be another issue.

I’ll chalk it up to natural selection and whether it’s hot soil or transplant shock, this one may be too wimpy to be worth using in my breeding project.

See how it’s leaning? The leaf is just limp despite watering. I’m thinking the tap root must have been damaged during transplant. If so, I can hardly blame the plant. Any chance it can bounce back from this?

1FCFA7B2-7264-4096-911A-4D1D3BA05013.jpeg

Too much water... Let it dry out. Just because you water one, doesn't mean you have to water the other. I water all of mine on a NEED basis.
Thanks, I’ll try to be careful. In regard to this particular seedling, though, I’ve arrived at the conclusion the roots got damaged. It doesn’t come across in photos but it was acting different than overwatered seedlings. With those, they were actually curled over. This guy, the leaves were limp as if they didn’t have any water pressure. He or she seems to ve recovering, though. I’ll post a pic later.

Thanks, I’ll try to be careful. In regard to this particular seedling, though, I’ve arrived at the conclusion the roots got damaged. It doesn’t come across in photos but it was acting different than overwatered seedlings. With those, they were actually curled over. This guy, the leaves were limp as if they didn’t have any water pressure. He or she seems to ve recovering, though. I’ll post a pic later.
You are thinking about this wrong. You think because you are dehydrated but really bloated. Dry it out before you water it. It will come back. Root damage shows up differently than what you see there. It's over watering....

You are thinking about this wrong. You think because you are dehydrated but really bloated. Dry it out before you water it. It will come back. Root damage shows up differently than what you see there. It's over watering....

How does root damage show up?

I’m not trying to be combative but I’m dubious this one was overwatered because I was pretty careful to keep the water to a minimum. If the soil looked wet in the photos, that’s just because I was trying to “help” after it had already started sagging.

Also, I’ve got plants of the exact same age and genetics that got the same amount of water but never had any problems. If you look at the first photo I posted, there’s a dark patch around the plant where I’d watered like 2 days earlier while the rest of the soil is totally dry. All the brothers and sisters are perky.

In any case, there’s already been a marked improvement, either from the plant getting over transplant shock or because I didn’t water it again. There’s some damage to the leaves, but they’ve perked up and the stem is upright again:

91CEB51C-5F9D-4F0F-9A44-E9DA11E5A3FB.jpeg

Please read this... Ask any questions after, thank you.
I read it and the information just reaffirms my feeling that it was actual damage to the taproot. Your link mentions a couple times that overwatering is marked by “fat” yet droopy leaves. These leaves were the opposite of fat — they were wilted like a weed I’d pulled from my backyard and left out in the sun.

LOL, if it did start looking that shitty from slightly too much water that did virtually nothing to hurt the other seedlings, that’s basically the plant’s death warrant — if it keeps acting that way, it’s getting yanked and won’t be allowed to reproduce!

Well... Let's look at your choices. #1 probability root problem is over watering(which is damaging the roots) = skip a watering. #2 probability root problem is damaged roots = nothing you can do unfortunately, so please stop worrying about that and focus on proper watering. Skip a watering and I know it will pick up. That's all I got for ya! Good luck;)

Well... Let's look at your choices. #1 probability root problem is over watering(which is damaging the roots) = skip a watering. #2 probability root problem is damaged roots = nothing you can do unfortunately, so please stop worrying about that and focus on proper watering. Skip a watering and I know it will pick up. That's all I got for ya! Good luck;)
Yea I’m not as much worried as I was tripped out why one seedling suddenly looked so deflated. I’ve got others that are doing well, so I’ll just keep an eye on that one...

Back
Top Bottom