Seedlings tall and only Cotyledon

redboxin

I have two seedlings that broke ground a week ago and they are getting tall, 1.5" to 2" and are self standing on thin stalks. They only have the seed leaves still and those seem to be branching out... they have a Y shape during the day and droop down to almost a T shape at night. After a day of google research hasn't really given any answers. Is this what is supposed to happen prior to true leafing,streching, or a mutate? Regular soil, nute free, and 10w and 23w 6500k cfls

You Should Post Pictures So I Can Help Better But If The Seem Isnt Drooping It Isnt A Light Problem. How Many hours Do U Have The Light On It? If Your Seeing Just The Leaves Rising During The Day And Falling Slightly During the Night Its Normal.

After examining them under magnafacation they do not have the saw leaves. Where they normally are the stem branches and leads to the seed leaves. I can't see a node where they would form. They are 12 days above ground.

So they have sprouted new leaves but they are rounded smooth edged ones, almost like the cotyledons. They are also on shoots like the early leaves. I added a soft white bulb and keep them on the 18/6 schedule. I thought the saw leaves were just that, pointy and jagged edged. I swear if I did not pull them from a bud myself I would think they were something else...
:confused:

I germinated 6 bagseeds 4 weeks ago 5 look good one only got seeds leaves pulled a couple of days ago. yea that does sound weird if the second set is rounded too. there are some odd strains like one called duckfoot (google the image )it's fan leaves are fused together.

Idk about the leaves, but for the hieght (streching) put a piece of clear glass gently over the top of the pot to help keep it from getting taller. It's sort of LST but not...

Not sure what you mean by 'Regular Soil'. But it sounds like they aren't receiving enough light. I had a similar problem when I first started and finally realized that I had to have my CFL around 3-5 inches away from my seedlings to help prevent too much stretching and allow for 'True Leaf'(the saw blade leaves) to develop porperly. When they become older and stronger you can get away with 2-3 inches with proper air circulation, but seedlings are a little more delicate. How close are you CFL currently? One of the benefits of CFL is that they can be placed very close to the plants due to their low heat output. This helps balance out the lower lumen/watt ratio.
The drooping during night cycle could be due to low temperatures. I notcied drooping on my younger plants when I let the temp drop down to around 65f, but once the lights came back on they perked right up. What are your day/night temps and humidity? Seedlings will need higher humidity since they are still producing roots and will get much of their water through their leaves by pulling moisture from the air.

To me regular soil is just no name $1.50 a bag from a bigbox store. As for the sprouts the are indeed a cross with ducksfoot. If i did not clean out the seeds myself, i would not believe the were cannabis. Single leaves bigger than your palm :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom