Senators Tout 'Bipartisan' Bill To Legalize Medical Marijuana In Pennsylvania

The General

A groundswell of support to legalize medical marijuana in Pennsylvania likely would stall at the governor's door. Legislation introduced on Tuesday from Sen. Daylin Leach, D-Montgomery County, and Sen. Mike Folmer, R-Lebanon County, would legalize medical marijuana in situations where a physician approves. But speaking at an unrelated event in Mt. Lebanon, Gov. Tom Corbett underscored the need for federal drug regulation on the issue of legalizing cannabis.

"We must look to see where the FDA is on this before we consider anything beyond that," Corbett said. A February 2013 poll from Franklin & Marshall College found 82 percent of Pennsylvanians favor allowing adults to legally use medical marijuana if recommended by a physician. Twenty states and Washington have legalized marijuana for medical purposes. Corbett spokesman Jay Pagni said that if the Legislature passes Senate Bill 1182, "The governor would make a decision based upon the legislation that would reach his desk." But the governor is interested in monitoring a non-psychoactive strain of marijuana called Charlotte's Web. The plant contains high amounts of cannabidiol, an element of the marijuana plant that can be distilled into an oil used to combat and control seizures.

"In the event the FDA would conduct a clinical trial on Charlotte's Web, he would be interested in the results of that," Pagni said. Leach and Folmer's legislation would legalize medicines beyond Charlotte's Web, making marijuana available to patients with cancer, glaucoma, seizures or other specified chronic conditions. The legislation would set up an advisory board charged with overseeing the industry and empowered to regulate farms, dispensaries and the application process.

Heather Shuker, a Valencia resident, is actively lobbying lawmakers in favor of the bill. Her 10-year-old daughter, Hannah, has at least 100 seizures a week, even with daily medication. In recent weeks, Hannah has become unable to walk, and Shuker carries her around. In Colorado, Charlotte's Web was effective in stopping seizures nearly altogether in children with similar conditions. "I strongly feel that things are going to happen," Shuker said. "I just don't think they're going to be quick enough for Hannah."

Lawmakers have given her mixed reactions, from spending time to learn about the science behind medical marijuana to sending her news articles about teens abusing the drug. Leach and Folmer's bill marks the first time in Senate history that a medical marijuana bill has been drafted with bipartisan support. "The use of medical cannabis is an alternative option to addictive prescription drugs and a good option that the citizens of Pennsylvania should have," Folmer said in a prepared statement.

med-marijuana-dispensary_main.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Triblive.com
Author: Melissa Daniels

It's time to put the wives tales to rest gov Corbett. Do at least one thing right before losing your job later this year. Which you will lose it. That's a fact :)

I don't even know why Corbett even makes comments that depicts himself still in the Governor's Mansion. 6 months ago he said he would veto "every" marijuana bill that landed on his desk, but now that John Hanger is doing so well in the polls with only grassroots support, Corbett thinks he could sway some of those voters by saying something like, if the stars align perfectly with the moon and the sun, and if FDA approves it, I will reconsider.

I was born on Tuesday. Unfortunately for Corbett, it wasn't last Tuesday!

i could not agree with you more mr. hanger is what this state needs not only for legalizeing marijuana but to change many things of this common wealth state.everyone needs to go to mpp website and join and start makin our voice be heard.corbett has all his little yes boys goin against this

I was registered Libertarian for years and years but I just changed my affiliation to Democrat so that I can vote for John Hanger in the primaries. Why? Because a: Corbett has to go, and b: the other likely Democratic contenders are unacceptable.

If you live in PA make sure you are registered Democrat in time for the primaries so you can vote for John Hanger. If he does not win the Democratic nomination then the future of any kind of liberalization of cannabis laws in PA is doubtful. And we have some very harsh laws over here!

Peace,
Dusty

I can't wait, it's about time that Pennsylvania jumped on board with legislature being filed and examined! Especially With Philly being the Country's 1st, and original State Capital, and U.S. Capital as well. We need to embrace these times of enlightenment and knowledge, and the fact that we the people are starting to have a combined, consensus on how ridiculous it is in this day and age that a all NATURAL plant is still being exploited as a dangerous, addictive, and totally negative form of medicine or just recreational use to make one feel happy or content! Is that so bad? IF GOV. Corbett cant' see the potential influx of state revenue and job making abilities and oppurtunities from legalized marijuana, ane what it will bring to each state that embraces this new National movement. Then you have to stop and question the true motives for still keeping this substance as a Schedule 1 drug, when there's been so much proof and studying and research that are showing great results in areas of health and medical than anyone ever thought possible! It's about time that "WE" the people unite as one, from east coast to west coast, as a one-uniformed and equal representation of what the actual mass population wants. We elect these officials to "supposedly" help us with legislature and law makings and amendments where we can't do it, but once their elected, it seems almost everytime all of those different campaign promises always seem to go right out the window! LEGALIZE MARIJUANA IN PENNSLYVANIA, THEY MIGHT NOT BE READY, BUT WE AS THE STATES POPULATION MAJORITY NEED TO RAISE OUR VOICES AND BE HEARD AND FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT TO GET WHAT WE WANT! PLEASE ANYONE AND EVERYONE, DO YOUR PART AND THIS COULD BECOME A REALITY FOR US IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE! GODBLESS, PEACE!!!

I couldn't agree more! I'm right there with you Dusty, luckily I'm already down as Democrat, and I'll be doing my part in my area to get John Hanger's name and agenda out to the right people! keep your voice loud and proud! Do not let them intimidate or sway any body from their god given right to use a medicinal plant whenever and however we want! One Love Bro!

I spoke to our local police chief and he is in favor of legalization.

His guys spend half the day doing paperwork when they find a bud or two on a traffic stop.

I may propose to council they should decriminalize pot and property values would go up in stead of down like they are going because there are so many crack and heroin addicts in town.

Maybe reasonable respectable pot smokers would like to live in the town where they can smoke in peace of their own home.

Back
Top Bottom