Shocking plants to stunt growth

dawook4420

I’m a rather seasoned grower now, on my 4th grow. I grow 2 plants at a time, both Northern Lights. They’re in 3 gallon air pots now and I will be up-potting to 10 gallon pots in a couple weeks’ time. It seems that every time I grow, though, one seed pops up a day or two earlier than the other, and over time the one that popped first tends to grow significantly larger than the other. I’m wondering if maybe I can shock the larger plant to stunt its growth for a few days to let the other catch up. I could give it ice water one of these feedings, or maybe when I up-pot I can cut a small slice into the roots – no more than an inch deep. I did that by accident on my second grow and it definitely stunted the growth without killing the plant. Not sure if any of this is a good idea, or if anyone has any better ideas as to how I might even the two plants out. Looking forward to your responses! Thanks!

I agree with @MrSauga your best bet is to try to push her latteraly. I'm having this issue on my current grow (1 out of 4) so I put in a scrog net to make them go lateral before flipping.

here is are some pics on how everything fills out if you force lateral growth with a SCROG or LST

(the little plant was in the front left for the first two pics, them moved to front right)

Thank you MrSauga and Niwashi. I topped both plants and I plan to LST both when they get a little bigger. Maybe I can tie down the whole larger plant rather than just the topped offshoots?

Niwashi, I must ask, is that the Viparspectra 1000W rectangular light? It sure looks like mine LOL!

I’m a rather seasoned grower now, on my 4th grow. I grow 2 plants at a time, both Northern Lights. They’re in 3 gallon air pots now and I will be up-potting to 10 gallon pots in a couple weeks’ time. It seems that every time I grow, though, one seed pops up a day or two earlier than the other, and over time the one that popped first tends to grow significantly larger than the other. I’m wondering if maybe I can shock the larger plant to stunt its growth for a few days to let the other catch up. I could give it ice water one of these feedings, or maybe when I up-pot I can cut a small slice into the roots – no more than an inch deep. I did that by accident on my second grow and it definitely stunted the growth without killing the plant. Not sure if any of this is a good idea, or if anyone has any better ideas as to how I might even the two plants out. Looking forward to your responses! Thanks!

I have a plant I defoliated and topped every top to let others catch her. She was 3 weeks older. Pictures in my grow journal. This method works great! Within 10 days it will have new beautiful fresh leaves in bonus!

Back
Top Bottom