Short Plants

Medicationist

So I am now 5 weeks and 3 days into an indoor grow. I have learned a lot already but still a lot to go. Anyways, my plants are very very bushy. Like 20-30 sets of leaves. However, some nodes start right at the soil surface which might not be a bad thing. But 7 of my plants are only 5-6" in height (one is 9" but not in the pictures), so all the leaves are crammed together and I am afraid the mid and bottom sets aren't getting light. Should I be worried that I have dwarf plants? They are a mixture of Amnesia Haze, WW, and Northern Lights. I am experimenting on what medium/method I want to use from now on I have a mixture between soil and coco in hempy's and regular pots and one in a straight hydroton hempy bucket. PH is 5.8 for the hydro and 6.5 for soil, followed fox farms nute schedule (however it looks like I have some nute burn), watering when needed. Haven't had any over/under watering issues. I have the plants under 2 Hydrofarm FLT48's. Temps around 77-80*F, humidity 40%. Never been topped. The only thing I can think of is that they aren't getting light for a long enough period? They are usually only on for 16 hours because I am usually too stoned to wake up and turn them on earlier... But today I got a light timer and I think they will be on for 20 hours from now on. What do you guys think could be the issue?
DSC005263.JPG
DSC005274.JPG
DSC005254.JPG

Re: Short @$$ plants...

I def. dont think its a bad thing, or that there is anything wrong. But, keep an eye on light penetration and once they start flowering, ventilation will be really important, since humidity might find it easy to stay inside dense foliage.

Lovely looking plants, hope they give you back love. Peace :peace:

I def. dont think its a bad thing, or that there is anything wrong. But, keep an eye on light penetration and once they start flowering, ventilation will be really important, since humidity might find it easy to stay inside dense foliage.

Lovely looking plants, hope they give you back love. Peace :peace:

I agree. Certain strains stay bushy and squat. The buds usually end up very solid from these types of plants and you get more bang for your buck per say. The alternative is stretchy, long node spacing which just wastes space. Whatever you do, do NOT remove leaves in the hopes of increasing light penetration. You'll do more harm than good.

Wait til the strecth sir. They wont be short and fat anymore!! 3 weeks after flower you will be glad they weret 2 foot tall!! I bet those ladies triple in size on ya.
Short squat plants with that much green means you are doing great! :goodjob: They are getting plenty of light and not having to go looking for it.
:goodluck:

Thanks for the replies! Definitely eases the mind a bit that I don't have mutant plants...

Any recommendations on when to start flowering? Should I still wait for the 12" rule as these are over 5 weeks old and only 6", the first signs of pre-flower, or wait till a certain age? Also, with these bushy babies should I do any LST or a SCROG?

What height can the plant reach without being too hot? I think they are ready now, but If you have 8 feet of hieght you can wait. I went flower after 2 weeks becaue I have serious height issues. The longer you wait, the bigger them girls are gonna be. If you decide on an LST, you may want to start now before they stem gets too rigid. Also, because of the growth during stretch make sure you secure the stem because they will uproot itself if you only tie down one side. This probably doesnt help too muh, but its somefood for thought...
:morenutes:

Back
Top Bottom