Should I chop this hermie

So this question equates to "should I close my barn door after my horse escapes," lol?

For future reference, water is probably sufficient for this purpose. Pollen tends to become nonviable after getting rained on and staying wet for a time (as anyone that has ever grown corn can testify). Still and all, sterilizing the grow room from time to time is not a bad idea. There are all kinds of things that water alone won't render harmless.

BtW, I have heard people say that freezing pollen will kill that, but this is not so; people store pollen (DRY!) in the freezer so that they may use it in the future. Oft times, they mix it with flour because a "little pinch" of pollen can be thousands of grains, lol.

BtW² I would consider pollen from hermaphroditic individuals to be about as useful (and about as socially acceptable ;) ) as the dried discharge on the bandage from an infected wound. One of the reasons I encourage people to purchase regular (non-feminized) seeds whenever possible and to save the pollen from the male plants. But I realize that complicates things (somewhat). However, as in all things, YMMV....
She is isolated and actually being chopped tomorrow she /he pollenated my entire room, I uped my humidity to 80% for the last 2 days plus bleached entire room changed pre filter on carbon filters, I sterlized everything, but I couldn't chop tonight bc I am checking damage and thinking on what to do, it sucks it had some beautiful plants in there
420-magazine-mobile67456315.jpg
pollenated
420-magazine-mobile1661054289.jpg
pollenated
420-magazine-mobile241539943.jpg
polyploid not pollenated yet hopefully not at all
420-magazine-mobile1037506978.jpg
WW hopefully not
420-magazine-mobile1771079742.jpg
WW hopefully not
420-magazine-mobile1899355110.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2036198617.jpg
vanilla kush mainline hopefully not

Hope you win this round (or at least don't lose too badly, lol).

Seed development does take some time, and it's not the end of the world even if you end up with a few. A few hundred, OtOH...

Hope you win this round (or at least don't lose too badly, lol).

Seed development does take some time, and it's not the end of the world even if you end up with a few. A few hundred, OtOH...
Ok so I am torn on what to do, I have a BIG Critical Kush in flower got pollenated, I am not sure about my new ones about 3 to 4 weeks in if they got pollenated, I am going to take the whole tent apart and bleach new inline new carbon filter, basically flip the room, would you continue to flower the pollenated ones or just start over, I am very torn bc 4 months of training down the trash obviously the hermie is gone. But I know cola development won't be great with pollenated
420-magazine-mobile1894596028.jpg
big critical kush
420-magazine-mobile1516948486.jpg
vanilla kush mainline
420-magazine-mobile214634671.jpg
WW 3 to 4 weeks into flower
420-magazine-mobile626603480.jpg
gold rush shitty building so far
420-magazine-mobile1995059054.jpg
WW 3 to 4 weeks into flower

Ok so I am torn on what to do, I have a BIG Critical Kush in flower got pollenated, I am not sure about my new ones about 3 to 4 weeks in if they got pollenated, I am going to take the whole tent apart and bleach new inline new carbon filter, basically flip the room, would you continue to flower the pollenated ones or just start over, I am very torn bc 4 months of training down the trash obviously the hermie is gone. But I know cola development won't be great with pollenated

So you have plants that might have been pollinated? As in, they might not be? You could spend the next week to ten days observing your plants, and then decide. You could remove all the plants that show evidence of pollination (both now and in the near future). You could, for that matter, just remove all of them straightaway and start over. <SCRATCHES HEAD> I suppose you could carefully inspect your plants on a daily basis, and manually remove any flower sites that appear to be developing seeds.

And then there's: You could continue to flower your plants.

I cannot tell you what to do. To be honest, I can't really even tell you what I would do, lol. It depends on several things, not least of which is, "How long has it been since I've had bud? How much longer will it be if I have to begin flowering all over again?" In that situation, I might proceed, but with caution... If any plant begins to look like it will produce a sizable seed crop, I could pull it and replace it with a rooted clone - or more than one, since they wouldn't have a chance at vegetative growth if they immediately landed in a flowering situation. That'd potentially make up for the removal of a plant or two. I might raise the lights all the way, fill a pump-up sprayer with water and liberally hose all surfaces of the plants, wait an hour or two (perhaps repeating the shower), then turn the fan(s) back on and begin lowering the light(s) back to normal height. That'd probably wet down any viable pollen that has not yet fertilized a female flower. Probably wouldn't harm the buds (if the light is not allowed to burn the plants via the droplets of water which have temporarily become lots of little lenses, and if care is taken to ensure that "strong wind" dries everything back out). There are surfactant agents that will modify the surface tension(?) of the water, so you'll tend to get a more even wetness instead of multiple individual drops. As far as that goes, soap is such a substance, lol (but most folks don't care for soap-flavored bud ;) ) .

It wouldn't make up for lost time, though. That's the thing. You spend money, you can conceivably replace it with... other money (lol). Spend time, though, and it has gone... never to return. So I would have to think twice - and yet again - before removing all plants. (This might be an example of why it is good to get at least one harvest, preferably two, ahead; issues with a grow wouldn't automatically mean the supply of bud stops temporarily.)

Everyone loves sinsemilla. However, if that isn't an option, then the only options are seeded bud... and NO bud. Sometimes, you have to decide what the best available option is... for YOU.

I must say, though, right now... I wouldn't turn down a seeded bud. Because then I would have a bud.

BtW, I'm not big on collecting seeds that were produced by a hermaphrodite. I don't do it so much any more, but I have been known to breed cannabis and I'd prefer not to have potential hermaphroditic tendencies in a seed that might one day become a parent. Others don't worry so much about it. I grow especially concerned if/when I discover this kind of thing relatively early in flower. If I've got some long-flowering cannabis, late in flower, I might find a male flower or two and not worry much. The possibility of stress, or of a last-ditch survival mechanism (plant is never going to be pollinated equates to its genes becoming lost with no progeny, but if it produces its own male flowers, it might still be able to produce a few seeds, which keeps it "in the game" for another round next year). But male flowers early in flower, in an (otherwise) normal grow tells me that it is more because of genetics than stress or the final bid for survival in what, in nature, is an annual plant.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances....

So you have plants that might have been pollinated? As in, they might not be? You could spend the next week to ten days observing your plants, and then decide. You could remove all the plants that show evidence of pollination (both now and in the near future). You could, for that matter, just remove all of them straightaway and start over. <SCRATCHES HEAD> I suppose you could carefully inspect your plants on a daily basis, and manually remove any flower sites that appear to be developing seeds.

And then there's: You could continue to flower your plants.

I cannot tell you what to do. To be honest, I can't really even tell you what I would do, lol. It depends on several things, not least of which is, "How long has it been since I've had bud? How much longer will it be if I have to begin flowering all over again?" In that situation, I might proceed, but with caution... If any plant begins to look like it will produce a sizable seed crop, I could pull it and replace it with a rooted clone - or more than one, since they wouldn't have a chance at vegetative growth if they immediately landed in a flowering situation. That'd potentially make up for the removal of a plant or two. I might raise the lights all the way, fill a pump-up sprayer with water and liberally hose all surfaces of the plants, wait an hour or two (perhaps repeating the shower), then turn the fan(s) back on and begin lowering the light(s) back to normal height. That'd probably wet down any viable pollen that has not yet fertilized a female flower. Probably wouldn't harm the buds (if the light is not allowed to burn the plants via the droplets of water which have temporarily become lots of little lenses, and if care is taken to ensure that "strong wind" dries everything back out). There are surfactant agents that will modify the surface tension(?) of the water, so you'll tend to get a more even wetness instead of multiple individual drops. As far as that goes, soap is such a substance, lol (but most folks don't care for soap-flavored bud ;) ) .

It wouldn't make up for lost time, though. That's the thing. You spend money, you can conceivably replace it with... other money (lol). Spend time, though, and it has gone... never to return. So I would have to think twice - and yet again - before removing all plants. (This might be an example of why it is good to get at least one harvest, preferably two, ahead; issues with a grow wouldn't automatically mean the supply of bud stops temporarily.)

Everyone loves sinsemilla. However, if that isn't an option, then the only options are seeded bud... and NO bud. Sometimes, you have to decide what the best available option is... for YOU.

I must say, though, right now... I wouldn't turn down a seeded bud. Because then I would have a bud.

BtW, I'm not big on collecting seeds that were produced by a hermaphrodite. I don't do it so much any more, but I have been known to breed cannabis and I'd prefer not to have potential hermaphroditic tendencies in a seed that might one day become a parent. Others don't worry so much about it. I grow especially concerned if/when I discover this kind of thing relatively early in flower. If I've got some long-flowering cannabis, late in flower, I might find a male flower or two and not worry much. The possibility of stress, or of a last-ditch survival mechanism (plant is never going to be pollinated equates to its genes becoming lost with no progeny, but if it produces its own male flowers, it might still be able to produce a few seeds, which keeps it "in the game" for another round next year). But male flowers early in flower, in an (otherwise) normal grow tells me that it is more because of genetics than stress or the final bid for survival in what, in nature, is an annual plant.

Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances....

So I could flip it easily I am just in love with all my ladies and my WW and vanilla kush mainline are 3 weeks from flip don't know if that young can grab pollen

don't know if that young can grab pollen

Only if the plant has already produced flowers and they have extended pistils. They're like... pollen capturing devices. Well, they're not like them, that's what they are.

Only if the plant has already produced flowers and they have extended pistils. They're like... pollen capturing devices. Well, they're not like them, that's what they are.

That's kinda what I figured also have a little bit of resin forming so that makes them sticky on top of it so I am sure there is a chance but I checked each cola last night and didn't see much beans I found 3 so far in my big critical kush I know it takes 3 weeks for beans to form but I thought I would start to see sacks for the bean to grow in kinda soon if they got hit, my lemon haze full on flower not a single bean so far and smaller critical kush not a single bean so idk, I just hope it stays like that

Idk how long it would take to show beans bc I don't know exactly when I got pollenated, dam hermie, but everything looks amazing my LEMON SUPER SILVER HAZE, CRITICAL KUSH, MAINLINE VANILLA KUSH, AND WHITE WIDOW ALL LOOK GREAT, my veg room is about to explosion of growth bc of autos, as well as I topped my C99 last night I wish I had pictures from last night but her are some I didn't post yet anyway
420-magazine-mobile1139217574.jpg
Critical Kush #1
420-magazine-mobile114115740.jpg
Critical Kush #2
420-magazine-mobile115529775.jpg
WW polyploid resin production happened fast with her
420-magazine-mobile1053796985.jpg
WW
420-magazine-mobile2002845690.jpg
WW

Back
Top Bottom