Should I start defoliating or wait?

phiGweed

Hey!!! so I’ve been doing a lot of researching and I’ve come across many people suggesting not to defoliate in the first 4 weeks of flower. Then I read more comments saying that it wouldn’t hurt and that light is needed to get through the plant.

My plants just went into week 3 of flower yesterday and to me, they seem really bushy. I don’t want to stress them by doing a heavy pruning, but I haven’t defoliated since they went into flower and I feel they need it. What do you all think?

Here are a few pictures of how they look now. Any advice is welcomed. How do they look to you? 2nd grow but 1st real grow in my mind lol

E363D40C-1601-4D5D-BD48-FA5004B32F1C.jpeg

BF3964D5-58C0-4FE5-B124-AC27DBA30F38.jpeg
C88CBD78-BBB8-4A82-A064-15C35C602CAF.jpeg
9EF58FCE-2D13-40FB-9505-A8A71FE776F1.jpeg

Hey!!! so I’ve been doing a lot of researching and I’ve come across many people suggesting not to defoliate in the first 4 weeks of flower. Then I read more comments saying that it wouldn’t hurt and that light is needed to get through the plant.

My plants just went into week 3 of flower yesterday and to me, they seem really bushy. I don’t want to stress them by doing a heavy pruning, but I haven’t defoliated since they went into flower and I feel they need it. What do you all think?

Here are a few pictures of how they look now. Any advice is welcomed. How do they look to you? 2nd grow but 1st real grow in my mind lol

E363D40C-1601-4D5D-BD48-FA5004B32F1C.jpeg

BF3964D5-58C0-4FE5-B124-AC27DBA30F38.jpeg
C88CBD78-BBB8-4A82-A064-15C35C602CAF.jpeg
9EF58FCE-2D13-40FB-9505-A8A71FE776F1.jpeg
You have alot of plant matter growing under your scrog. It won't get any light and therefore just suck energy for no purpose, just larf. Removing it would be beneficial IMO.

You have alot of plant matter growing under your scrog. It won't get any light and therefore just suck energy for no purpose, just larf. Removing it would be beneficial IMO.
Okay so I have 2 nets total . Only 1 plant is reaching through both nets. The other 4 plants were from seeds and were smaller when I switched to flower so they are catching up. Should I remove everything beneath the first net on the clone (biggest plant)? And will this cause any stress during this time?

Okay so I have 2 nets total . Only 1 plant is reaching through both nets. The other 4 plants were from seeds and were smaller when I switched to flower so they are catching up. Should I remove everything beneath the first net on the clone (biggest plant)? And will this cause any stress during this time?
If you want to defoliate, now is the time to do it. Everything under the first net should go. And I’d raise the plants under the net up to give them a fair shot at some of the light.

If you want to defoliate, now is the time to do it. Everything under the first net should go. And I’d raise the plants under the net up to give them a fair shot at some of the light.
Okay great! Thank you! So just for future references, I can start to defoliate at week 3 of flower without stressing them? Cool!

Okay great! Thank you! So just for future references, I can start to defoliate at week 3 of flower without stressing them? Cool!
As long as the plant is healthy, yes. But you defoliate what you need to and then leave it alone. Don’t continue to rip leaves off all through flower. After week 3 you’ll want to tuck the leaves that cover Bud sites.

Since there are two SCRoG screens I figure that everything below the lower screen has to go just like @JamesBong502 recommended.

Most SCRoG grows end up with the grower taking all leaves and buds off below the screen but they usually have just one screen. What you are going to do about the area between the lower and top screen is something I would have to think about.

No matter what, they look like some nice healthy plants.

Since there are two SCRoG screens I figure that everything below the lower screen has to go just like @JamesBong502 recommended.

Most SCRoG grows end up with the grower taking all leaves and buds off below the screen but they usually have just one screen. What you are going to do about the area between the lower and top screen is something I would have to think about.

No matter what, they look like some nice healthy plants.
I decided to take a bet off and clean up under the bottom one! Hopefully I didn’t stress it too much today *fingers crossed*

Problem with a scrog ... hard to see when there's hermies from stress! Its hard enough with regular growing like I do. Only takes one ball sack to shit storm the grow.

Been there.... do this long enough it happens.

You can remove leaves in flower but do it like every other day and only do small amount at a time.

Problem is the plants react to that. They send pheromones out to warn the other plants that there's an animal/pest grazing in the garden. Then plants react to that grazing pressure.

There are some plants that actually create toxins that make grazing animals sick. Not saying cannabis is one (not tests or science done yet) but plants do all sorts of stuff we don't know about.

I try not to even touch plants in flower.

When taking off leaves be sure to clean your snips and your hands. Its a great way to pass along diseases and bacteria.

Problem with a scrog ... hard to see when there's hermies from stress! Its hard enough with regular growing like I do. Only takes one ball sack to shit storm the grow.

Been there.... do this long enough it happens.

You can remove leaves in flower but do it like every other day and only do small amount at a time.

Problem is the plants react to that. They send pheromones out to warn the other plants that there's an animal/pest grazing in the garden. Then plants react to that grazing pressure.

There are some plants that actually create toxins that make grazing animals sick. Not saying cannabis is one (not tests or science done yet) but plants do all sorts of stuff we don't know about.

I try not to even touch plants in flower.

When taking off leaves be sure to clean your snips and your hands. Its a great way to pass along diseases and bacteria.
Yea I’ll definitely be taking that advice for the next grow. I was worried but knew I had to clean some of those leaves/branches up. I’ll know better next time for sure!

all that extra foliage underneath the nets, get rid off as much as you think you could. It will create high humidity in those areas and you are likely to get mold. Make sure you have fans moving air in those areas all throughout the plants.

This is how she’s looking now
BC18F37C-976A-463D-89DB-65D690C61106.jpeg

04C21DD1-8352-45EF-834E-A2A2A1D83988.jpeg

She’s giving off an “unpleasant” odor now though. Just started today. Hope it has nothing to do with me defoliating.
Does she have wet feet by any chance. Or just old run off water.
Possibly?

I watered her yesterday until there was runoff. The saucer is fairly dry now. Soil Is still moist but nothing unusual
Ok def not that. It’s coming from the pot or the plant do you think.

Ok def not that. It’s coming from the pot or the plant do you think.
Smells like it’s coming directly from the bud that’s growing. It’s honestly weird because as soon as I open the room, I smell.. eggs? And I’ve checked the soil and all but like it said, no extra water. I figure it may go away. Idk, I thought they “seemed” happy :(

Back
Top Bottom