Should I trim? Pics included

static123

Hey guy, had a right pain getting these to start (from seed) and lost a few but now ended up with three, never had that problem before. Anyways space is an issue so wanted to ask if I should trim away some of the leaves maybe the top fan’s it’s all very dense, I’ll start LST as well soon. Any advice is welcome and many thanks

Hey, I have one of those seeds! Do you have a grow journal going?

I'd be inclined to not remove fan leaves. That's a pretty dense/stacked structure, though... Might have been better to begin your training as early as possible. And/or to have used some lower color temperature lighting to encourage a bit of stretch.

On the other hand, I'd expect that plant to stretch for the first 40% of its flowering period - which will help "open" things up and may - especially with some prudent training - allow the leaves that aren't getting much light now to start supplying energy to the plant. <SHRUGS> Or you could trim; the plant will then spend energy/nutrients/etc. on replacing them. (But it could, instead, be spending those things on producing more growth instead of what was lost.)

The "should I defoliate?" question will, methinks, be forever debated. People make arguments for and against, and often those arguments seem to make sense. I used to be thoroughly against the practice (as opposed to being mildly against it ;) ) . But I have come to the conclusion that, like many things, it can be a situational thing. In other words, its usefulness can vary depending on things like strain choice, growing style, et cetera.

If you had two of those plants - or, better yet, two rooted cuttings (clones) from that plant that were more or less identical, I'd suggest that you trim on one and not the other (whilst training both in whichever way YOU see fit).

Thanks for your time to reply, I think I’ll leave them and just LST, I think I might have a bit of a fight on my hands with space but I am sure I’ll work it out. Many thanks again

Hello , week 1 into flower , I would start trimming , as you don't want to go much past week 2 for trimming and you are already looking tight in that tent ,really nice looking plant , maybe a bigger tent in the works ?

In my experience (and I say this because the issue of defoliation is a personal one that each person need to decide on their own), removing large fan leaves allowed me to grow dense large colas on my last grow and I heavily defoliated... Had I not, they would have been half the length and not nearly as dense. A healthy plant will only slow down its growth by a small amount when leaves are removed but each plant (even of the same strain) may respond differently. I have seen other people like Nugbuckets grow amazing plants that have almost no large fan leaves. A flowering cannabis plant still has enough sugar leaves to grow large buds.

The first time I grew Autoflower plants I also defoliated fairly regularly and ended up with 2 ounces off of each of the 2 plants I grew which for a beginner might have just been luck lol

Happy growing!

i might suggest that the some of the growers on here would put yer so called 'professionals' to shame.. seriously,, what makes one a professional?

a diploma??

no,, experience

so,, friend,, with the tiny space with three plants in it,, defoliate,, yes,, i would,, by perhaps taking one of those plants out of there to give the remaining two others a chance

those plants will at least double in size, and will need some air circulation as well as light penetration,, for optimum growth

cheers friend

Yeah, but he did make a point, though. Just because he chose chose not to couch it in passive-agressive language doesn't mean people can't understand the point he was trying to make. Whether you agree or disagree with it, it's still at least as valid as yours.

But this little "side-discussion" is not relevant to the OP's question... one that was getting polite answers/thoughts/opinions (even from you) before you felt the need to tell everyone to be nice. It has been my observation that most people here do answer questions nicely (to a varying degree at times, perhaps, but still...) unless/until a volunteer member of the PC Brigade arrives and announces that we shouldn't be assholes. I'm as rough around the edges, so to speak, as anyone else - and probably more so than most ;) - but in nine years, even I have only had (IIRC) four or five people complain to me that I upset them and/or hurt their feelings (for which I generally apologized, even if all I could honestly say was that I was sorry they got the impression that I was trying to belittle them or their thoughts). A couple of people have asked me not to create such lengthy posts, lol, but that is a different thing, and why I typically try to keep my responses under 20,000 characters or so these days.

I suppose I can understand the need to "police" others, especially if your job is the lowest one on the totem pole and, therefore, does not grant you the opportunity to be in charge of others. But next time, why not wait until there actually IS a problem before expending effort on trying to stop it? And here's one more piece of advice: When you do, that handy Report Post link always works better than trying to "handle things" yourself. The latter most often merely causes even more of (giving you the benefit of the doubt, here) what you are trying to prevent in the first place!

Which is why I am unsubscribing from this thread as soon as I post this. I do not doubt that it will prompt replies, possibly some from those who agree and some from others who just got their feelings hurt. That'll just increase the number of posts which don't help the OP (and that, at a guess, he has no real interest in reading). Plus, I have realized that I have trouble walking away from a fight when the other party really wants to do battle :rolleyes: . And, while this can occasionally serve me and those I care about well "in the real world," when done via the Internet it is about as useful way to spend my time as trying to construct a brick wall from the top down. Ergo, I'm just going to post my thoughts on the subject and then exit stage left.

static123, I hope you have read all that you feel you need to know about the question of partially defoliating your cannabis plants or, if not, that future posts will provide you with the information that you seek. And, as always, I wish you the best of luck with your grow!

Yeah, but he did make a point, though. Just because he chose chose not to couch it in passive-agressive language doesn't mean people can't understand the point he was trying to make. Whether you agree or disagree with it, it's still at least as valid as yours.

But this little "side-discussion" is not relevant to the OP's question... one that was getting polite answers/thoughts/opinions (even from you) before you felt the need to tell everyone to be nice. It has been my observation that most people here do answer questions nicely (to a varying degree at times, perhaps, but still...) unless/until a volunteer member of the PC Brigade arrives and announces that we shouldn't be assholes. I'm as rough around the edges, so to speak, as anyone else - and probably more so than most ;) - but in nine years, even I have only had (IIRC) four or five people complain to me that I upset them and/or hurt their feelings (for which I generally apologized, even if all I could honestly say was that I was sorry they got the impression that I was trying to belittle them or their thoughts). A couple of people have asked me not to create such lengthy posts, lol, but that is a different thing, and why I typically try to keep my responses under 20,000 characters or so these days.

I suppose I can understand the need to "police" others, especially if your job is the lowest one on the totem pole and, therefore, does not grant you the opportunity to be in charge of others. But next time, why not wait until there actually IS a problem before expending effort on trying to stop it? And here's one more piece of advice: When you do, that handy Report Post link always works better than trying to "handle things" yourself. The latter most often merely causes even more of (giving you the benefit of the doubt, here) what you are trying to prevent in the first place!

Which is why I am unsubscribing from this thread as soon as I post this. I do not doubt that it will prompt replies, possibly some from those who agree and some from others who just got their feelings hurt. That'll just increase the number of posts which don't help the OP (and that, at a guess, he has no real interest in reading). Plus, I have realized that I have trouble walking away from a fight when the other party really wants to do battle :rolleyes: . And, while this can occasionally serve me and those I care about well "in the real world," when done via the Internet it is about as useful way to spend my time as trying to construct a brick wall from the top down. Ergo, I'm just going to post my thoughts on the subject and then exit stage left.

static123, I hope you have read all that you feel you need to know about the question of partially defoliating your cannabis plants or, if not, that future posts will provide you with the information that you seek. And, as always, I wish you the best of luck with your grow!

Is that a bible lol!! God if i wrote that much id be tired!!! Go give your fingures a break :passitleft:

Now trim those leafs your gonna need it for air circulation and for light penatration plus your gonna grow a whole whole lot more i gotta trim almost every week in fill up a gallon tub packed seems the more u cut the more the plant says awe ok in grows eight more as soon as u cut them off

I kind of look at it this way. If your outside growing, defoliation isn't really necessary as the sun rotates around the plants. I also have not seen any outside grows where they defoliate heavily or at all, but I'm indoor so I haven't gone searching for that definite answer.

Inside growing where your lights only hang above and don't rotate, you want to defoliate for 2 very specific reasons.
1. Airflow.Crowded leaves sweat and that leads to mildew. This can still happen to outside plants as well. By defoliating you stop leaves from touching each other and avoid the mildew. It's also great for the co2 (is that the one? Lol)exchange indoors since air can move around more freely.
2. Light penetration can get deeper through the plant with less leaf mass which means buds further down get plumper than had you had them shaded in flowering.

I'm sure there are more things I can't think of ATM haha. Those are 2 good reasons. I heavily defoliate in flowering. Best yield so far is 32 ounces and couple ounces of popcorn plus more in trim. Every grow environment can yield differently, you just gotta find what works best in your environment.

I always start defoliating from the top leaves, down. The tops are your primary light blockers. Don't snip the top leaves if the nodes aren't as long as a dime, roughly. I like to give the new upcoming top nodes some time to develop, that's just my personal preference.

I always start defoliating from the top leaves, down. The tops are your primary light blockers. Don't snip the top leaves if the nodes aren't as long as a dime, roughly. I like to give the new upcoming top nodes some time to develop, that's just my personal preference.
I do the same. I remove any wilted or yellowing leaves from the bottom then slowly turn and look around. I sparely remove a leaf if it blocking a new shoot growth. Only do it about twice during veg and try not to go overboard. Maybe once during bud if the leaves look like they are binding .

I completely forgot to upload the finished plants, thought you might like to see. Many thanks for all the advice etc. They are lovely to smoke / vape and eat and as always helps my wife’s MS amazingly.

Back
Top Bottom