Should Marijuana Be Decriminalized In Grand Rapids?

420 Warrior

MLive.com. readers react (poll)

Decriminalization of marijuana could be on the ballot this November if a pro-marijuana group gets its way.

DecriminalizeGR is working to get the issue on the November ballot as a city charter issue. The group needs 6,500 signatures.

MLive Media Group's Matt Vande Bunte reports the effort is an attempt to pre-empt enforcement of state and federal law that prohibits marijuana use. The amendment would make use of the drug a civil infraction, with fines ranging from $25 to $100. The proposal is modeled on an ordinance in Ann Arbor, where marijuana use has been a civil infraction for decades.

MLive.com readers have mixed views on the situation.

johnny2x2x said police officers would enjoy pursuing dangerous criminals rather than marijuana users.

I know police officers who would be glad to see marijuana decriminalized. It would give them more time to catch real and dangerous criminals. They're also sick and tired of the driver responsibility fees which have made a large % of Michigan's drivers criminals.

ppwiii questions if the proposal would even be effective if it received public support.

For this to work the proposed Charter Amendment has to do more than just create a new civil infraction. It has to mandate that GRPD cannot initiate state charges or participate in the prosecution of state charges. GRPD has to be limited to pursuing this new charge, otherwise this is a waste of time because GR does not prosecute marijuana charges now.
wrisley is hopeful for DecriminalizeGR's success, but also has reservations.

I hope this action succeeds. I have my doubts, however, because the amount of money that the lawyers, courts, and court ordered 'AA' styled classes, etc, will lose out on will be prohibitive to those who benefit from these arrests.

CityofGRresident said the city needs to determine if pursuing marijuana violators is worth the effort of public safety workers.

The question is whether the voters of the City want law enforcement spending time, money and other resources chasing marijuana users or whether those resources can be better used in preventing and investigating real crime. Some folks don't get it. The P.D. can only spend a dollar once. This issue is about HOW and WHERE the law enforcement dollars are spent.

9026313-large.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: M Live
Author: Maria Amante
Copyright: © 2012 Michigan Live LLC.

Hopefully it's not needed. commitee for a safer michigan running a petition drive (which I just received petitions and have started collecting signatures and reccomend everyone signs up for) to make a change to michigan constitution amending to include,
c/p from "help.repealtoday.org"

Constitutional Amendment To End Marihuana Prohibition In Michigan

A Petition to amend the Michigan Constitution, Article 1, to add:

Article 1 Section 28. Repeal of Marihuana Prohibition.

For persons who are at least 21 years of age who are not incarcerated, marihuana acquisition, cultivation, manufacture, sale, delivery, transfer, transportation, possession, ingestion, presence in or on the body, religious, medical, industrial, agricultural, commercial or personal use, or possession or use of paraphernalia shall not be prohibited, abridged or penalized in any manner, nor subject to civil forfeiture; provided that no person shall be permitted to operate an aircraft, motor vehicle, motorboat, ORV, snowmobile, train, or other heavy or dangerous equipment or machinery while impaired by marihuana.

Everyone Please help get this on the nov ballot. a real kick in the groin of Governor Dickhead, or whatever his name is, you know, the guy who we pay to not represent our wishes! yeah, the one that just does as he pleases without concern for the voters wishes. I'll bet a dollar to a donut, he's outta there in nov.

Good post oldred, and if I were there I would support it. But unfortunately, you are stuck with Gov Snyder until the 2014 election, hopefully you all will get him out of there then. Best of luck to you.

why do they want so much control over our personal lives anyway? I think I am pretty good at making my own decisions.

why do they want so much control over our personal lives anyway? I think I am pretty good at making my own decisions.

Been sayin' that one for years!

Adults don't need babysitters or micromanagement of our day to day lives!

What we need are people in office, who realize that Cannabis and Hemp will drag our economy back to a thriving success again, if they will just use a little common sense in their legislation! :peace:

Good post oldred, and if I were there I would support it. But unfortunately, you are stuck with Gov Snyder until the 2014 election, hopefully you all will get him out of there then. Best of luck to you.

We might just kick his ass outta there a lot sooner, have a recall petition going now.

That day. That day when I am watching a movie, one of the actors lights a joint up and NO ONE around me giggles. That day when I don't have to talk in these stupid codes, hide who I am, ask the guy in the hydro shop what nutes are best for tomatoes (yeah we're all growing 25 dollar each tomatoes right?). That day when I don't see people around me falling into the brainwashing and thinking that they have to hide in the garage to toke, afraid to let their children know because they have been convinced pot is a bad thing. But most importantly, the day when a man's best option ISN'T killing himself to avoid prosecution. I know someone who died this way. There will never be an end to my anger. Four kids that grew up without a father. Good job of protecting and serving society, huh?

That day. That day when I am watching a movie, one of the actors lights a joint up and NO ONE around me giggles. That day when I don't have to talk in these stupid codes, hide who I am, ask the guy in the hydro shop what nutes are best for tomatoes (yeah we're all growing 25 dollar each tomatoes right?). That day when I don't see people around me falling into the brainwashing and thinking that they have to hide in the garage to toke, afraid to let their children know because they have been convinced pot is a bad thing. But most importantly, the day when a man's best option ISN'T killing himself to avoid prosecution. I know someone who died this way. There will never be an end to my anger. Four kids that grew up without a father. Good job of protecting and serving society, huh?

AMEN BROTHER! Preach on! :amen: :bravo:

sounds familliar. Alcahol Killed my Father when i was four and two Stepfathers, yet most of my family smokes weed and no one has had any bad side affects

Just good ones!:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom