Should Policing Marijuana Be the City's 'Lowest Enforcement Priority?'

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The next City Commission could be asked to consider a measure that would make policing marijuana the city's "lowest enforcement priority." Would you support or oppose such a measure? Why?

David F. Anderson: I am uncomfortable with the idea of the City Commission attempting to dictate enforcement protocols to the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety. I am sure that every day the chief and his staff make decisions as to how limited resources can best be used to keep residents and property safe. Recent priorities, such as reducing youth violence, have been positive. The city manager, who reports to the City Commission, works closely with the chief to create a long-range plan that guides education, incorporates best practices and builds partnerships. I support their ongoing efforts.

Jimmy Dean Ayers: I would support the measure of making marijuana the lowest priority. Because alcohol is worse for you and there are more important things for the police to worry about like rape, murder, prostitution and heavy drug dealing, like crack being sold on street corners behind the old adult bookstore on Portage Street.

Birleta Bean-Hardeman: I choose not to answer right now.

Nicholas Boyd: I don't use drugs, including marijuana, and never have. But I do believe there are other priorities for Public Safety to focus on with home invasions and thefts on the rise.

Kyle Boyer: I support this measure, and would encourage even further lenience on the substance. It's less harmful than alcohol ( if it's even harmful at all ), and we should not be telling adults that they can't enjoy a substance that is medically beneficial and would be a boon for artists and anyone else who uses creativity in their daily life. It will keep our prisons less crowded, ultimately saving our society money.

Don Cooney: Of course I will want to see the wording of the proposal. Our present marijuana laws are irrational. They are filling our jails, causing great harm to many incarcerated people, wasting huge amounts of much-needed taxpayer dollars. There is a better way and other communities have found it. All people must act responsibly and should be held accountable for their actions. Incarceration is not the answer to this problem.

Aaron Davis: I think the police have enough to do without having to worry about weed. The police should concentrate on murder, rape and robbery.

Bobby Hopewell: The use and distribution of marijuana is illegal under state and federal law. If the penalties for violating such laws are to be changed, they should be amended at the state and federal level, where a thorough public debate on this issue should occur. This would be consistent with the recent change by the citizens of Michigan relating to medical marijuana. Patchwork changes in drug enforcement policies at the local level are likely to cause significant challenges. For example, because drug enforcement efforts in our city and county are conducted across jurisdictional borders, inconsistent approaches throughout the county would lead to inconsistent justice outcomes in one community versus the other. Any changes to drug enforcement laws and policies should start at the state level, after a thorough debate, so that all such laws are enforced in a uniform manner in all local communities.

Michael Kilbourne: Right now marijuana enforcement should be less of a priority than the enforcement of other drug related issues. Let's not drain our resources on one issue, let's focus on all the issues together. We have to support our police to crack down on the drug enterprises in Kalamazoo. There is an abundance of crack, heroin, meth, and others drugs ruling our communities and ruining lives. Let's focus on all of these problems and do something about them.

Terry L. Kuseske: I will need to understand the context which the City Commission would be asked to consider this measure. Chief Hadley is charged with the enforcement of local and state laws. The City Commission must not put itself in the position of micro-managing that enforcement.

Hannah J. McKinney: The chief and his staff determine enforcement priorities as they work to keep the city and its residents safe and secure. I do not know how a city commission could pass such a measure that would be enforceable or what weight it would have in relation to state and federal law.

Barbara Hamilton Miller: I would oppose such a measure. Substance abuse is a serious issue in our society. Our Public Safety Department is charged with upholding our laws. When they come upon a crime or suspect illegal activity, they can't turn away because they see a marijuana infraction as a low priority.

Stephanie Moore: Support. Lowering the priority of enforcement will allow our law enforcement representatives to focus on other issues in our community such as violence among our youth, major drug enforcement and the maintenance of safe neighborhoods for residents.

Kai Phillips: Again, laws are laws. I may not personally agree with the current laws prohibiting the use of marijuana, however, we should not, and cannot, encourage Public Safety officers to ignore laws. Also, because recreational use of marijuana is not legal in Michigan or the United States, this creates a conflict with other law-enforcement agencies which then use our tax dollars to enforce them. For instance, in California, marijuana use is legal -- however, federal authorities then do raids which cost much more than local police enforcing marijuana laws. Since a recreational use of marijuana is not legal in Michigan, this would also create issues in the sale and distribution of marijuana. So, in conclusion, I would have to oppose this measure and refer it's supporters to our state or federal lawmakers.

Anna Schmitt: I would support a measure in which the policing of marijuana would be a low enforcement priority. Presently, Kalamazoo has larger pressing issues. Targeting the possession of marijuana uses a good amount of our city's time and money. Money being used for courts and jail cells regarding marijuana could instead be used in preventing the robberies that have increased over the last year.

Louis Cloise Stocking: In 2008 Kalamazoo Public Safety statistics show there were about 1,600 controlled-substance arrests here and that about 60 percent of those involved marijuana. Almost 90 percent of those charges were misdemeanors. This measure would benefit the financial state of Kalamazoo and provide time for officers to ensure safety. For more information on this amendment visit Welcome to KzooCPCL.org! | Kalamazoo Coalition for Pragmatic Cannabis Laws.

Karen Wellman: The candidate did not respond to the Gazette questionnaire.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Kalamazoo Gazette (MI)
Copyright: 2009 Kalamazoo Gazette
Website: Kalamazoo, MI Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - MLive.com

Again, laws are laws. I may not personally agree with the current laws prohibiting the use of marijuana, however, we should not, and cannot, encourage Public Safety officers to ignore laws.

That is laws are laws if you are not in the privileged elite or if you can't afford a high price lawyer.

I could fill this page many times over with A) crimes that aren't enforced and B) the disparities of how the crimes are enforced and the differences in punishment.

Their talk is as cheap as the bribes that they take from lobbyists.

That is laws are laws if you are not in the privileged elite or if you can't afford a high price lawyer.

I could fill this page many times over with A) crimes that aren't enforced and B) the disparities of how the crimes are enforced and the differences in punishment.

Their talk is as cheap as the bribes that they take from lobbyists.

absolutely agree, the person you quoted says they dont think officers should ignore laws.? the officers constantly ignore laws themselves,
but this is some good news in the state of michigan,
thank you user for this post.

Back
Top Bottom