Side lighting

Anoobis

In my small filing cabinet grow box, I find it really easy to hang fans and powerboards because the cabinet is metal. I use rare earth magnets to hang everything which makes it very easy to readjust. I am using a 300w led as my primary light, but I want to boost it. Is side lighting worth it, and what should I use. Would a low watt panel burn the plant if they come in contact? I will get a 600w light when I can spare the cash, but I have seen some PC case grows on YouTube where they use side panels and they boost mid plant buds a lot.

I'm growing in a space 1sq.ft. larger than yours,and the way my plants are
growing,combined with defoliation, sidelighting won't really help anything, because there will be nothing but stems down below the canopy. (lollipopped)

Since only the top surface of the leaves are where the magic happens (photosynthesis),I don't think sidelights would do enough good to warrant having them in there.

If I were going to use sidelights,I'd just use a couple of hi wattage led bulbs,which don't put out enough heat to add to the heat load,or damage the plants when they touch them.
And in that small space,they will pretty much have to touch them.

Maybe look a little closer at the youtube videos and see if you can identify the leds they use-if your plants
have alot of leaves and budsites "down there" sidelights would be a good thing,as long as they don't burn the plants.

From personal reading about the topic I came to the conclusion the slight increase in yield, if there is any, dont really outweigh the electric bill. If money's not an issue and you're looking to just produce the best grow results theoretically possible, some led strip lights would be a safe bet. But a stronger main light would be a better investment long-term.

Not sure if we can post YouTube links, but do a search for "dzagicup18 blue dream CBC by humboldt". Its impressive at least to me

It went through the grow of this plant, he did some serious LST. But I can see some sort of side lighting and I can't see how he would have got it so dense without it?

Attachments

• mqdefault.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom