Electrical question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to run my grow room on its own breaker.

I have an available 15 amp spot on my panel.

In my grow room I have:

1) 1000W HPS
2) 2 fans
3) water reseviour running a fish pump
4) inline 240 CFM fan
5) a veg cabinet with 8 CFLs a computer fan and t5 bulb
6) 250W metal halide

Both lights controlled by ballasts.

Please help with experienced advice. Thanks a million

I was in a similar situation and ended up having my breaker blown twice. I was running 2-1000w hps and an oscillating fan on a 20amp. I won't make that mistake again.

I agree with the previous posters:

1000W / 120V = 8.333 amps

+

250W / 120V = 2.083 amps

8.333 + 2.083 = 10.416 Amps

Assuming the loads are to be operated for 3 or more hours continuously, they must be overrated in order to allow the circuit to effectively dissipate the heat. The NEC advises a 125% overrate for continuous load so:

10.416 * 1.25 = 13.02 amps

That would only allow 1.98 amps for the rest of your equipment...

For safety (especially fire prevention) at least 2 circuits or more would be best. If you can figure the amp draw for each of your loads it would be best to balance them across your available circuits, IMO.

Pigeons, I like to put my lights on their own dedicated breaker(s). I like to know I have a secure power source for my lights, which is going to remain constant. The 1000w and the 260 would be ok as a maximum, on one dedicated breaker. Then, if possible, put the other appliances elsewhere? Basically- you have too much draw to comfortably put on one 15 amp.

...also...don't try to up the size of the breaker to accomodate Yer needs using a breaker that exceeds the capacity of the wire, is dangerous. The wire can overheat, and cause fire. For example, a 15 amp breaker should not be on any lighter wire than 14 gauge. 20 amp with 12 gauge, etc. ...h00k...

You guys are all genius! Thank you!

I went a head and put my room and the lights on 3 different breakers. Wow what an upgrade!!

You guys are far to kind to help a guy out. You each earned your pathway to heaven today. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom