Silly Auto Question

Hey! I'm pretty sure it'll be okay, but figured it couldn't hurt to get the opinions of the experts here at 420MAG - I have a few autos in my veg tent (24/0), that may be taking up too much space soon to allow my photos in there to get the light they need. The autos haven't started to flower yet - they're currently 36 days from sprout, and have been topped and started quadline LST on them. What I'm curious about is if I put them in my flower tent (12/12) for a bit while my flowering plants mature, then put the auto BACK into the veg tent once I move the current plants to the flower tent... Will this have any adverse effects on the autos? So roughly: 40 days 24/0, 30 days 12/12, and the remainder of the days until harvest at 24/0.

I have not grown auto's enough to give a solid answer. I know I don't like to change much when plants flower. Changing light hours and intensity can cause hermies in regular photo strains. They will be fine for the first move. It is back to longer hours when something may show up. Keep a eye out.

In the end you have to do what you have to do. If something does hermie. The pods may be able to be trimmed of with good results. A stress hermie will stop if it is because of environmental issues that are solved. Remember they will not flower well with lower light hours.

That seems like a long time at 12 hrs. I've never tried it. What I've seen with autos the more light the better. They need the light to bulk up autos are still growing during flower up to a point. If you have to do it though keep a post please I'm curious about the 12 hrs.

That seems like a long time at 12 hrs. I've never tried it. What I've seen with autos the more light the better. They need the light to bulk up autos are still growing during flower up to a point. If you have to do it though keep a post please I'm curious about the 12 hrs.
It's a hit or a miss really mate. Some take it well others don't bulk up so good. Doesn't really effect the strength that I can notice but yield isn't as much even when they do propperly fill out.
Doesn't stress them out or anything though. Perfectly safe.

12/12 barely enough for autos...they'll grow, but the yield will reflect the decreased light.
Still handy to have them taking up free space in iether tent though mate.
I just do random autos on the sidelines. Mostly dont get more than an oz or 2 but they usually stay pretty small too so always a bonus. Bit of variation is never a bad thing :)

Not a great idea to hope for a good yield but a lot of them do turn out surprisingly well. Done a few d/p autos that each got me 2.5-3.5oz of quality puff on 12/12 from week 2 and taking 14 weeks from seed.
Not a bad result just for some variation in the free spaces. There's always a free space somewhere for most folks :)
Doesn't matter if it's strong light, weak light, 12/12 or 24/7. Just put them in small pots and you can move them about.
Sorry for rambling but I love autos mate.
Can make them as big as you want or as small as you want to suit whatever spare space or lighting is available.

Got a spare veg tent while some heavy sativas go into bloom and you could grow over a pound per meter and have it harvested before the buds are.

Find there's space in the bloom tent then use pot size to control them. Plastic pots will make them bloom faster.
1-2litre solid pots and they're pretty much garunteed to show by week 4.
Usually faster so you can get mad wee ouncers that just grow one big cola with a few tiny secondaries that sometimes don't even separate from the main. Looks like a bell lol.

Iether way, autos are great fun wether you've got optimal conditions or not.
Just chuck them wherever you can and you'll get a bit extra and some different puff :)

Seen plenty guys drop nearly a kilo per plant with them and very rarely a complaint on the effects.
Those used to full on, hardcore smoke all the time won't like them but for the vast majority of folks autos should be more than a worthy addition to the grow space :)

Yeah, my original intention was to grow them outside, not indoors in a tent. But I live in a 2nd floor apartment on a very busy street in MA. I already had 3 other plants out on the deck. But after a couple weeks I had to bring them inside because of all the city filth being blown onto them. They were actually becoming quite filthy. Now, I have everything cramped into my 2x4 veg tent, waiting for my 8 photos to be ready for the 4x8 flower tent.

The autos are in the 3 plastic pots centered over the 8 fabric pots.
dUMNc1h.jpg

And they're just starting their preflower phase
vBuc1Xz.jpg
or4cuf4.jpg

If they fit in the smaller tent then swap em all round maybe? Just a thought
Huh. Never thought of that. I'll have to get another timer for the small tent. Or maybe just take the one from the big tent. Problem is, it'll get too hot in the small tent. Don't really have the $$$ to add another fan/exhaust/etc. to the small tent. And moving it from the large tent is just too much of a chore to make it worthwhile. So, I guess my best option will be to just take the hit on the yield and put the autos in the flower tent as late in the process as possible, then back to the veg tent and pray they don't hermie.

Huh. Never thought of that. I'll have to get another timer for the small tent. Or maybe just take the one from the big tent. Problem is, it'll get too hot in the small tent. Don't really have the $$$ to add another fan/exhaust/etc. to the small tent. And moving it from the large tent is just too much of a chore to make it worthwhile. So, I guess my best option will be to just take the hit on the yield and put the autos in the flower tent as late in the process as possible, then back to the veg tent and pray they don't hermie.
If autos hermie mate then it's bad genetics or you're feeding them vodka lol.
They should be able to take any light changes within reason.
Can't go 24 hours at 100w per square foot then leave them for a week in the dark but asuming the wattage per square foot is around the right level and youre not putting seedlings under 1000w hps bulbs or anything daft like that then you should be able to just throw them wherever you want with the only negative being the the yield.
Sorry for the lack of punctuation there. It was annoying me as I was doing it but couldn't figure out where to stop .
Damn sativas :)

Back
Top Bottom