Slimey roots please Help

Troublesome2

Ok iv got a question about my roots and res... I keep getting slimey roots. Iv cut them 3 times... My plants are healthy but this root problem is drivin me crazy! Im a week into flower and dont have a huge root system. Im using my fogger but its on a timer its on a half hour every hour and a half. My Ph never goes above 7 and i adjust that daily. I use Hygrozyme with all my nutes. My res is completley covered with aluminum tape, top to bottom the lids got a double layer.:lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke:

Here is my guess.
Res temp to hot. take out fogger, put in air stones 24/7. Flush with ph water 6.0 for
a few days. Keep Eye on water temp. no higher than 72. work nutes back in slowly.

good luck.

Its only on for a half hour every hour and a half... Maybe if i have it on for less? Half hour every two hours? They are sooo healthy now... lookin so good, if i does continue, which im sure it will (my luck) It will be removed 1st thing. When i checked this morning NO SLIME... Perky plants... IMO my res water was too high gonna drop the level a gallon so ill only use 5 gallons instead of 6 and see how that works... Like i said at the next sign of it gettin worse byebye fogger. My res is cool to the touch so i think its below 70 but ill be checking that today... Ill check it after the fogger has been on for 20 minutes and go from there

Took temp today... 78!! Removed fogger and hung a lunch box chiller thing in there away from the roots. Hope this helps... I have a seperate res. Maybe i could put a couple inches of ice in it then set my other res on top of it... Would that work or would that be too much...maybe put holes in the bottom of my res??? I need ideas of how to drop that temp w/out purchasing a chiller.

first off, run it for a day with just the air stones and then get a res temp. see where you are at. I used frozen 2 liter bottles for awhile, having another res is good to use too.

For me, I have to keep the water temps around 68. Anything higher and I start getting slime like you mentioned.

The temp in the grow room has a lot to do with the temp in the water, no matter how well you insulate it. Though a large system with great venting lowers the problems.

I ended up buying a cheap mini fridge, 80 foot of 1/2 ID tubing. Coiled the tubing around the freezer element, drilled one hole large enough for two tubes. Both ends in the tub, one connected to pump, the other to the feeding distributor.

Though I do like your thought on putting the tub into a larger one, then filling with ice. Just too much work for me having to keep an eye on that.

Prairie

Hygrozyme isnt enough?
And hey 19camaro78, weve talked about this in another thread but i completley drained my co2 tank in 2 days after i got it going. I got that i need to turn the tanks knob a quarter turn but how much do i turn the little black knob on the regulator? What # should the glass tube be on? I will be refilling my tank n will have it in an acual tent 3'11" x 3'11'' x 6. It will be light and air tight.

HERES A PIC OF MY REGULATOR

DSC01649_800x600_.jpg

Sorry, can't help you out with that. You are going to want to get some type of tester to see how much your putting in the room. I don't apply my co2 this way. I use butane.

The fridge thing sounds complicated?? Im interested though. Iv managed to keep the temp in my res at 72. I want it 68. An extra res isnt worth all the work. Ill do what i can this time and next grow ill be using a much bigger res.

It really isn't very complicated at all. You didn't say how exactly your grow is laid out, but since you're here in Hydro, I'll assume you have a reservoir.

If you already have a pump pushing nutrients around, then it is real easy. You can find mini fridges at many places, and should be able to find one under $100. I think I paid $89 for a 1.7 CF. It has to be the kind with a compressor. Easiest way to tell is if it has a freezer area is if it makes ice cubes.

Find some where on the fridge where you can drill a hole large enough to push two 5/8OD-1/2IN tubing through it ( or drill two 5/8th holes). I used about 30 foot of tubing. Run one end through the hole, wrap it around the freezing element ( I had to take out two screws to let it hand). Be careful not to bend the freezing tub to the element and cause a leak. Run the end back out the hole.

Connect one end to your pump, and the other end to where ever the pump was connected to.

I run a little over 500 watts of CFL in my veg closet. The veg reservoir sets up on a table, and is wrapped in insulation. With out the cooler, I run around 78F in the res. The closet is normally around 84F and 60% humidity. I can't cool it any better with out an AC unit.

Now with the cooler, I keep it at 1. The res temps stay right around 67. In testing I was able to bring the res down to 50F with the closet running at 90F.

My cost for this was one mini fridge = $89, 30 foot of tubing = $25. So for around $115 I can keep the res temps anywhere I want and not worry too much where the closet temps are going.

This is my flower closet a few days ago:
Thadilous_Bud_Grow_Room_01.jpg

It also has a separate cooler, but it is turned off after Labor Day, as my temps drop.

Prairie

Camaro has it down. Too much heat, plus too much dampness= slimy roots.

I tried blocks of ice, even went so far as to put the fogger in a separate container, connecting the two with a tube. I cut a hole in the top of the fog container and aimed a fan into the hole to force the fog into the root pod. My roots were still getting covered in slim. Foggers suck. Bubblers Rock.

Photo is a DIY bubbler. It's a 6 liter storage container (shoe box size) that I use for clones/seedlings. Inside are 2 X 10" bubble stones. The cracked seeds popped in 24-48 hours.
IMG_0739_500x333_.jpg

If you can, take the plant out and run water (gently) over the roots to remove as much slime as possible, then soak the roots in 3% H2O2 for ~5 minutes. Repeat several times a day for 3 -5 days.

HTH

Drop the hygrozyme... it breaks down organic material like dead roots and turns it into food, on which the slime feasts before your plants can.

Keep any sort of organic material out of the res, the slime will eat it first.

Use beneficial microbes to displace, starve, and attack the slime. Using bennies will also let you run res temps in the mid 70's with no problems.

Don't be intimidated. The recipe is simple and cheap.

How to breed and use beneficial microbes

Back
Top Bottom