Small seedling tents, any thoughts?

Saxplayer

I’m considering a small bench top tent for my seedling growing. Wonder if anyone would like to throw in their opinions with this?

Okay, the plot goes like this. I am growing in a 2x4 tent using a LED light which I thought was ample light for the job, but looking again I think I need to upgrade it. So, I thought I could then utilise this LED for a seedling setup, as it is dimmable.

I have space for a small tent in a room close to my main tent. I thought if instead of taking up time/space in the main tent, I could use a small tent to either start seedlings or clones so that as soon as I cut my main plants down I am set to go with new ready established plants to replace them with.

The small tent is around $110 here in NZ, and as I say, I have a LED to go in already (I will have when I replace my main tent LED.

Also, I have seen some small hydro pot systems which look a great idea for popping the seeds and sprouting.

So for around $150 I will be set up. Does this sound like a plan worth doing?

I only ask because when I originally saw the small tents, I thought they looked a waste of money…. But now maybe not so much.

No, that's a great set-up. Allows you to go perpetual, getting a harvest every 6 weeks or so if you have enough space to veg the next plant up about to flip.

Thats my preferred set-up actually. I grow mostly from clones and that part happens in about 1 square foot of space is all. Then a space with enough footprint to veg a plant before flip.

Then I uppot a plant from either seeds or clones to veg for my preferred amount of time, so when I harvest one in the flower box it gets replaced by the vegging plant. Very efficient and I get 8 rounds a year with that process.

No, that's a great set-up. Allows you to go perpetual, getting a harvest every 6 weeks or so if you have enough space to veg the next plant up about to flip.

Thats my preferred set-up actually. I grow mostly from clones and that part happens in about 1 square foot of space is all. Then a space with enough footprint to veg a plant before flip.

Then I uppot a plant from either seeds or clones to veg for my preferred amount of time, so when I harvest one in the flower box it gets replaced by the vegging plant. Very efficient and I get 8 rounds a year with that process.
Wow Azimuth, 8 rounds a year! That is more than I could hope for. But, sounds like I am doing the right thing and thanks for the positive comment. I have only managed one round/year in my tent so far (also outdoor grows during spring/summer). But this could take my game to a new height! I LOVE the thought of turning over more plants per season with my small 2x4 tent.

Well, that's 8 single plant harvests a year, one every 6 weeks.

Here's the math.

Most strains I grow are listed at 8-10 weeks for flower but that doesn't include what is typically a 2 week stretch period. So, 2 weeks of stretch plus 10 weeks of flower equals 12 weeks.

In a 2x4 space I would grow 2 plants in a SIP (link in my sig), and stagger them at 6 weeks. Sometimes with faster finishing plants I'll have an open space for a week or two but the schedule has to be built around the longer ones.

Clones get vegged typically 5-6 weeks, seedlings more like 7-8, but timed to replace the harvested flower plant and 6 weeks behind the other plant in flower.

In a bigger space, say 4x4 you could harvest every 3 weeks with four plants in flower, staggered in that case by every 3 weeks (4 plants x 3 weeks = 12 weeks).

So for me, every 6 weeks I harvest a plant and promote one to take its place. Spreads out the harvesting duties as well, much less trim jail at a sitting.

My flower space is 3' wide and tall and half that deep, and my veg space is 3' wide x 22" deep x 20" high. So you definitely don't need lots of space to be successful. Of course smaller spaces equal smaller harvests, but I flower in 2 gallon buckets and only grow for me so it's plenty capable of meeting my needs. And I grow mostly cbd strains and the dosage suggestions for that are higher by far than they are for thc.

Do you have an idea of how much you'd need to produce at a minimum?

How much minimum.... ummm, well not really sure as I am pretty new to this.
I have just so far been making batches of cannabutter which I use to make cakes/cookies and some salve for my joints.
I think I have enough with one grow a year in tent + my outdoor crop once a year (three or four plants outdoor). That said, I would like to be able to grow more, so that I can experiment with new strains, also maybe have enough to sell on to help recoup some of the costs and outlay. Yeah I know that comes with risks but I'm not looking to become a "dealer" as such, just a little to friends thats all.

With just a little extra space on your veg tent you can keep mothers of different strains and then clone them in rotation. And your cloning setup can literally be a solo cup full of perlite.

I root 5-10 cuttings in a cup and then choose the best of the best to grow on. Clone process also in my sig.

So, I picked up a small clone tent yesterday..... approx 32"W x 32"H x 24"D. Sits nicely on a benchtop. Cost only $109NZ which is about $65USD. Bargain I thought. Well made, plenty of vents/fan holes and tray included.
Now some bright bugger will be telling me I need another tent, for keeping a mother etc... Yes Azimuth, I'm talking about you! 😁

I didn't know this "hobby" could become so addictive. Not the use of cannabis I mean, but the actual growing part!!!!

Now some bright bugger will be telling me I need another tent, for keeping a mother etc... Yes Azimuth, I'm talking about you! 😁
Nope! Won't hear that from me. Veg/mother space and seedling/clone space all operate on the same 18/6 light schedule so I absolutely would combine them in the same grow space. A 2x2 or 2x3 is easily all you need.

For flower, all you need is 2x2 for each plant you want to flower at one time. A perpetual harvest at 6 week intervals can be done with 2 plants in a 2x4. Doesn't have to be a huge space.

Back
Top Bottom