Small Town Living

RangerDanger

I live in the heart of The Emerald Triangle, near where Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity Counties (CA.) meet.
Moving from an urban area of 8 million to a county that has approx. 12,000 residents was quite a culture shock.

The Trinity Journal (the only paper in Trinity County, comes out once a week) has a section where they list ALL calls to 911 for the entire county.

This is a typical day:
"On Monday Aug. 7, a Lewiston woman reports illegal burning and the volunteer fire department finds that it was a small barbecue that is out.
A Weaverville woman reports a theft.
A vegetation fire is reported in the roadway on Deadwood Road.
A Weaverville woman reports threats.
A Weaverville man says a suspect tore down a fence and clkeared brush on his property.
The CHP (California Highway Patrol) requests medical aid for a female with a possible broken leg.

That's it. That's all the calls that came into 911 that day.

"A Weaverville man says a suspect tore down a fence and clkeared brush on his property."

LOL I wonder what kind of "brush" someone would break down a fence to clear....:hmmmm:

Thats kinda strange that they list the 911 calls. I've never seen anything like that. I always though this town was bad. We have a little over 55,000 people. I would never live anywhere smaller then this. Small towns are ok, but not for me, I like to visit just not stay.

I live in a real small town far off the beaten path, so small that the general store is STILL the post office here. Until a closer (22 mi. each way) movie theater was built recently it had been a 80 mile round trip to the movie theater. 70 mi. round trip to the closest McDonalds & when you get to that one they warn you the "Next McDonalds is 83 miles". Our sheriffs report is much like the thread start, a bunch of petty stuff.

i was born and raised in the San Fernado Valley until i was 15 years old moved around cali a little before moving to first a VERY small town in Kansas. we couldn't find jobs within 50 miles so we moved to maryland. we lived in St Mary's county for 3 years, where you share the road with Amish people. i didn't know there were still amish people in the year 2002(at the time) and everytime i saw the horse drawn buggies, i would just wonder how they lived.
it was always so quiet, no train whistles or honking horns, just birds. but it took 30min to "run" to the store!

now i am back in the city and wonder how i handled that. love to run to the store and be back in 10min LOL:bong:

I live in Denver now, but ive lived in little country towns in Texas. OMG the cops in those little country towns were fekkers. If you were anything but white and got pulled over, oh man were they gonna have a time with you.

I live in a town of, or the sign says, 20,000 people. I've noticed that it's growing, though. Used to be kind of tiny, nothing real big. Now there's construction everywhere and traffic is a bitch, for sure.

We have 2 utlit malls, which aren't malls in my opinion and another factory just finished building before summer started and I heard talks of a multi-movie plex. :hmmmm:

CherryEyed said:
I live in a town of, or the sign says, 20,000 people. I've noticed that it's growing, though. Used to be kind of tiny, nothing real big. Now there's construction everywhere and traffic is a bitch, for sure.

We have 2 utlit malls, which aren't malls in my opinion and another factory just finished building before summer started and I heard talks of a multi-movie plex. :hmmmm:
I'm talking real small here..... the town down the road 6 miles away has a population of 130, has a real post office, three bars, 2 grocery stores, gas station, etc..... the town I live in has a population of about 60 and has a general store only. Everybody here knows not only your name but all your business too...... It's why the guys who sell to me are from out of town (way out, 350 mi away) and it's why I travel over 300 miles round trip for my meds when I feel like making the trip to Mnpls...........:headbanger:

Now that's what I call the boonies!!!:peace:

My home town has 1,250 bodies...on a good day. They post all court proceedings for the month in the paper. Speeding, minor in possession, theft, burglary, drugs, DUI, bounced checks, etc. And 5-10 Canadians a month get popped at the border crossing with paraphenelia and possession. LOL God I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

One thing cool for me at least about living in a small town is that the cops know I'm not a "bad guy".
My grow is 100% legal and what's grown here stays here (except what I swap with fellow growers).
I see the local cops (there's only 1 cop who is stationed in this area, the next nearest cops are a hour's drive away) at the grocery store or bank.
In every community there is a criminal element. Out of the 1,000 people that live in my area there's a hardcore element of about 50 people. Tweaker's, meth cookers, thieves, scammers. The cops get to know them real quick.

SlimDog53185 said:
Thats kinda strange that they list the 911 calls. I've never seen anything like that. I always though this town was bad. We have a little over 55,000 people. I would never live anywhere smaller then this. Small towns are ok, but not for me, I like to visit just not stay.

Thay put this shit in the paper in my town too!!! Except they use the Actual Names of people that got in trouble. So lame.

Stoner4Life said:
I'm talking real small here..... the town down the road 6 miles away has a population of 130, has a real post office, three bars, 2 grocery stores, gas station, etc..... the town I live in has a population of about 60 and has a general store only. Everybody here knows not only your name but all your business too...... It's why the guys who sell to me are from out of town (way out, 350 mi away) and it's why I travel over 300 miles round trip for my meds when I feel like making the trip to Mnpls...........:headbanger:

Sounds like where I live...but worse

Back
Top Bottom