So You Think You Want to Grow Weed, Huh?

PetFlora

The beauty of mj is that is a weed. And like weeds, it will grow and produce in some of the worst conditions.

I am amazed at the results I have gotten simply by reading a book or two, and above all, CLOSELY following directions. I have also been very bummed at the outcome when I didn't.

How to Have Immediate Success

Decide which method suits you; soil/less/drip/dwc/aerolp/aero hpa, get a book or find a completed grow journal, and follow it step by step, and above all don't try to reinvent the wheel. I have tried them all, but it wasn't until I stumbled upon HPA (High Pressure Aero) that I realized I was not growing plants as much as I was growing roots. You might want to reread that last sentence. So now, my entire focus has changed. The better job I do to control the conditions that feed/house the roots the better the smoke and the higher the yield. BINGO

To me, the first place to start is to know what strain you want to grow, then learn all about it; country of origin, height at maturity, climate, light conditions during veg/bloom (18/6, 16/8, 12/12), nutrient requirements, THEN build your system around as many of those parameters as you can afford to control. The closer you come to doing so, the better your experience, and you harvest.

The most important thing to compensate for is the size of your chosen strains' roots at maturity. Believe me when I tell you, you are growing roots not plants. Or said another way, the better you learn how to care for your roots, the better your harvests. NOT the other way around.

It's All About The Roots

The first mistake most growers make is shoving 5 pounds of roots into a five gallon pot. A 2 foot plant at maturity needs a minimum of a 5 gallon container (at least 3 ft tall), and ten gallons is a whole lot better! Why?

Roots need room to grow and breathe/transpire. Each portion of the root is responsible for a particular part of the plant. When roots are crammed together they are fighting over the same real estate, and any nutrients that flow by. Some portion of the plants will suffer.

In veg, plants develop an entirely different type of root than they do in bloom. When the plant senses it's time to reproduce, it sends out new roots from the base of the plant. When they have sufficient room, they will look like a cheer leaders pompoms, and should be as fluffy and airy. The less room allotted for them lowers the quantity and quality of the smoke.

Moral of the story If you're gonna do it, do it right.

This should get you started on the path to great grows. :goodluck:

Are you suggesting that for a 5 ft plant I have a 20 gallon pot... That seems very excessive to me, I'm very possibly wrong but I feel that while it may be better for the plant, it seems like it may be very hard to accomplish in a medium sized grow in a not huge space.

Another reason for using larger pots, and/or not recycling nutes: Plants defecate through their roots.

You can get away with this in early veg; BUT, as plants develop a large root mass, the amount of excrement increase accordingly.

In a planter that is undersized you wind up with a heavy concentration of excrement in close contact with the roots. Eventually, the plant shows signs of this, but it is mistaken for nute deficiencies.

Good stuff PetFlora!
The root zone certainly is where the magic begins.
I think you may be a bit like me where I was on a good path growing good herb and then one day I had an ahh ha moment finally realizing that when the root zone is mangaged well, frosty fat buds are inevitable.
Since that moment of clarity I've been all about roots.
Today I'm using Air Pots for both soil and hydro and using mycorrhizae innoculants in both applications. It's no coincidence that since these two things were implemented in my grows that my hauls have been of the highest quality and heaviest yields I've ever grown.
:peace::rollit:

Bandit: Twin Sons from Different Mothers :cheer:

I came by the info by being a student of the game, and of course wondering why my crops were sickly, or not producing the volume they should.

Insufficient lighting also plays a roll. I just addressed that by getting a Quantum Bad Boy T 5 with 8 bulbs. I will use my UFO 90 for veg then finish under the T 5.

Have you visited my HPA journal lately? I just posted some new pics/info.

Here's a couple pics of a plant I am growing in a HPA environment The link to my journal is below

IMG_0741_333x500_1.jpg
IMG_0740_351x500_1.jpg

Nice post, I have some as a second grow which I've trimmed back for them to regen. They are so pretty and getting so bushy; cloned the first and the other two are just the same way. Nice vertical growth and best of all-Big Bud!
thanks for the info PetFlora.

Another reason for using larger pots, and/or not recycling nutes: Plants defecate through their roots.

You can get away with this in early veg; BUT, as plants develop a large root mass, the amount of excrement increase accordingly.

In a planter that is undersized you wind up with a heavy concentration of excrement in close contact with the roots. Eventually, the plant shows signs of this, but it is mistaken for nute deficiencies.

Petflora,
Can you site your reference for this. I can find no evidence that plants excrete any waste products at all.

From what I've found by doing a small amount of research:

Plants do not excrete waste materials from their cells at all.

Instead, plant cells possess an organelle (a cell-sized organ) called a Central Vacuole in which the plant cell deposits all waste products from chemical processes within the cell.

The central vacuole is filled with waste products until either the cell or the plant dies, it does not "excrete" any sort of waste.

Read more: Answers.com - How do plants excrete their waste materials

My bad. I tried to keep it simple, but the fact is we are not feeding roots we are feeding microbes that colonize on the roots. They digest the nutes and feed them to the roots- a symbiotic relationship. They excrete the left overs either into the soil (which is why you want large pots) or into the runoff, which is why you D2W during flowering. hth

CORRECTION: On other sites (and maybe a few posts here) I have mistakenly been calling what I am doing HPA (High Pressure Aero) because I am using a high pressure pump. I now know that the pump alone is not the qualifier: to be HPA the nutrients need to be under constant high pressure so that when the timer comes on 100% of the nutes are delivered at a high pressure. Since my rez is open (not under pressure) my pump has to pressurize each time it cycles (now every 3:25 sec), meaning that the first second of each feed cycle is not delivered under full high pressure. How important is this? I am working on that in my current journal here.

In order to be properly called HPA, one needs an accumulator to keep the nutrients under constant pressure.

Here's a pic from my current grow. It's a quasi-AF cross between Lowryder #2 (AF) and Bubblicious, which is not an AF, but a short plant. The combination can produce 24" plants when the Sat is dominant.

Lots of bud sites, plus trics are beginning to sticky things up.

IMG_076111.JPG

Love the post - great insight!

Do you flush every 30 days or some other schedule? I grow in organic soil and if I need to add nutes I go organic. I am not sure if I need to do a 3x flush every 30 days or if that is overkill. Any ideas or suggestions?

:thanks:
:peacetwo:

I don't flush, but then my ppms are very low. keep in mind my roots get a 1-2 second wet cycle every ~ 60 seconds. Compared to soil, where plants are fed once ~ every 3-4 days, my method allows the microbes living on the roots to feed virtually constantly.

veg 200-450
flower 450-600
late flower 450-250

hth

Hoping someone is online now, that can help me root my clones, since we are discussing roots. I can't get my girls to root! Tried several different methods, cut them and set them in dome with 1/8 inch water and mild nutes, full light, dump water in 4 days, open dome for air and mild mist every morning. No go! Cut them, set them in dome no water in tray and mild mist, no sun for 12 hrs...still no go!

Each time, clean blade, 45 degree angle, dipping in Olivia's clone gel, transfering them into "rapid rooters" that I soaked for a 1/2 hour in PH 5.5 w/mild nutes from GH.

What am I missing? Water in tray of clone dome or no, light or no light for first 12 hrs, mist or dip tray into water daily? Help my kids keep dying. :)

I'm new to all this myself, so I am going by what I read (too soon for me to try it yet). Maybe this will help.

From a Grower's Bible:

Clones root fastest with 18 - 24 hours of fluorescent light.

Water as needed to keep growing medium evenly moist. Do not let it get soggy.

Wish I could help more. :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom