Soil 'cooking' ideas

kush magnet

Hey there! I finally just recieved the last amendments I needed that I couldn't find at our local grow stores. I am excited to say that I am about to mix and start my cooking process. This is my first time every doing organic soil so I want to make sure I am on the right track here. I got three 10 gal pots I am going to fill. I went and got two 18 gal totes with the lids tonight and I am going to mix up 15 in each container and give them a diluted molasses drench. I have been debating leaving the lids off for aeration for less stirring like I have read? But I also read some people cover them the whole time and stir more frequently (which I heard slows the microherd). Well I had an idea. I used to grow mushrooms and I made a breathable tote for the cake to grow in just by simply drilling holes and covering them with polyfil. What if I just cut a big hole in the lid and do the same thing for my soil container? That way I get best of both worlds. Full gas exchange, and less stirring. Only thing I can see happening is spraying it more frequently to keep moisture content correct. Just a thought, I would love to hear some feedback. Also, would it be a good idea to soak with compost teas every other soak to feed the microherd?

Back
Top Bottom