Storing Banana Tea

S two teaspoons per gallon.Depends on how you made it, I guess.

I do the Jadam version and it last pretty much indefinitely, getting better with age.
Hey @Azimuth thanks fer responding, not sure of the name seen on a video but they did not explain storage. Was made using 6 Bananas chopped and mixed with Brown Sugar the same weight as the bananas. Placed in 3 quart Ball Jars with a coffee filter covering the jar opening. Said to leave in jar fer bout 5/6 days then strain liquid. Recipe says two teaspoons per gallon. Not sure if this tea can be in a sealed container, or open or refrigerated. Does this tea sound familiar? Happy Growin.
:thanks::passitleft:

Hey @Azimuth thanks fer responding, not sure of the name seen on a video but they did not explain storage. Was made using 6 Bananas chopped and mixed with Brown Sugar the same weight as the bananas. Placed in 3 quart Ball Jars with a coffee filter covering the jar opening. Said to leave in jar fer bout 5/6 days then strain liquid. Recipe says two teaspoons per gallon. Not sure if this tea can be in a sealed container, or open or refrigerated. Does this tea sound familiar? Happy Growin.
This looks like the start of a fermentation process that should take about 21 days. Cutting it short like this will end you up with mostly just the water soluble components, and very little of the base elements that could be released with full fermentation. I also use only the peels when I make this high potassium supplement, and left sealed it should last for many years since the fermentation process produces a lot of alcohol that will help preserve it. Not sure who made the video, but my experience is that given a full 21 days you would end up with a potion that is much much stronger than you would get in only 5 or 6 days because fermentation unlocks the elements on a cellular level.

Ok, that's the KNF (Korean Natural Farming) method. In that one, you do the extract for 5-7 days like you said. The equal amount of sugar to fresh material is to dry out the material and cause osmosis drawing the goodies from inside the plant's cell walls out into solution.

After about a week or so, you've gotten most of the osmosis you're going to get so that is why it gets filtered at that point since the liquid that's been extracted will begin to equal that left in the cells equalizing the pressure and eliminating any further osmotic effect.

It  is quite concentrated so the usage rates are generally 1:1,000. I usually go a bit stronger at 1:750 which works out to 1 teaspoon per gallon.

For long term shelf storage (no refrigeration needed) it is recommended to add an equal amount of molasses to the liquid extract you got to keep the liquid from souring.

I started with KNF but I've switched mostly to the Jadam version of the extracts which, in my view, is easier and I think better. Check out the first page or two in my 'Alchemy' thread in my signature for some background on the two methods.

Thank you fer the info, KNF sounds a lil familiar lol. Solution has been fermenting fer bout 3 days. There is an obvious separation as you described.
:thanks: and have a great weekend :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom