Stunted seedlings

wilbilly

Im starting some seedling under some florescent lights
1 3 lamp fixture
1 4 lamp fixture
Everything was going good now there yellowing on the bottom leaves .and not growing like I know they should be.....
My soil I used in pots outdoors last year so I'm not sure if that is my issue or what .....some of the leaves are showing yellowing almost crisping the end of some leaves. Any help appreciated

Sent from my SM-G903W using 420 Magazine Mobile App

What type of soil was it? And it is probably the soil FYI. Idk much about soil cause I do indoor hydro, but from what I have read you need good quality soil. I'm assuming your soil is to "hot" for the plants. High Ph.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Watering daily or every 2nd day depending on how dry the soil is the stand is hash plant and early vixxen from cks

Last years soil ah that sounds suspicious to me & suspect ya haven't added any nutrients yet ?

I'm just one these geezer's who work off little info with a gut feeling, ye well we'll tease a little more info out ya yet :thumb:

Most will use fresh soil/compost most off the time which is likely to be fortified with some nutrients already hence adding nutrients is not need in early stages of growth in less one is incline to amend used soils/compost by adding their favourite secret ingredients for another round of growing.

1. My own gut feeling is used soil/compost from last year depleted with any form of nutrients to which you mention some form of deficiency at present stage of growth.

2. Not mentioned any form of feeding yet either.

So ye i'm just thinking lack of nutrients causing def's & stunting growth, i'm not gonna jump on the PH band wagon just yet when the simple solution might be time to feed em bud.

In less the complete opposite just happened, ye well we will soon see ah...

So what kind of nutrients are u thinking ......I've only ever done clones first seed grow ....no experience with seedlings
I haven't given them anything but water so far

Started them October 22 germination

Temperature steady around 20 degrees Celsius

Lights are on 18/6

420-magazine-mobile1962130432.jpg
420-magazine-mobile477860381.jpg

Are the roots growing out the bottom of the solos?
They are small for a month old. Usually I wouldn't feed at that size, but I would also have up-potted them by now.
I'd knock one or two out of their cups and look at the roots. If root bound, I'd move 'em.

Are the roots growing out the bottom of the solos?
They are small for a month old. Usually I wouldn't feed at that size, but I would also have up-potted them by now.
I'd knock one or two out of their cups and look at the roots. If root bound, I'd move 'em.
Roots definitely not growing out of the cups .
They're just staying the same size

That will stunt their growth and cause problems. The mix should be dry to the bottom before watering again. Be patient.
Do those pics I put up look like an over water issue to u? I keep seeing similar issues associated with nutrient deficiencies

In the photo, the soil looks wet enough and (to me) the slow growth doesn't appear to be from lack of nute's.
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'd still knock one or two out of their cup(s) and get a look at the roots. If all looks good, put 'em back. No harm. You'll learn how wet the soil is, how much the roots have developed, and if there is any obvious problem below the surface.

Definitely let them dry out correctly in between waterings. Also what is your soils npk ratio and have you been feeding nutrients so far ? Depending on the npk amounts in your soil they may not need any yet. (Most likely not)

Not as bad as the entail description at first & it is only really the dicotyledon or first stage leaf showing yellowing, i would not concern myself to much about that even tho you have some minor discolouring on some other leafs to which a slight rams horn curling turning down wards may be related to over watering... a few others have mentioned that !

So learning how water is one step in the right direction.

Yup indeed that is pretty slow growth for a month but we may look at other issue's which might be of concern & not yet mentioned !

Looks like ya got T5 tubes for lighting hopefully you have 6500 k (kelvin) that is blue spectrum which is good for seedlings 'n' veg growth, unfortunately the side positioning of the tubes is more likely not doing you a favour (that might be accidentally i don't know) but best hung just above the plants a few inches away, you may ask why ?

That is about the inverse square law of light effect, my ol china basically the further away the less light energy becomes which will slow stuff down... it is just T 5's & cfl which suffer badly with this, that is why we hang em close to our girls.

Another thing mentioned was small pots & month old plants right may relate to root balling which may also stunt growth as well as some kind other members have pointed out ya wanna check it...

Now this is the point of happy return :thumb:

Now if ya discover ya root balled it is time to pot up into larger pots on the bright side of things you may buy in another bag of compost/soil which has some nutrients in for awhile & once potted up, watered in etc they should pick up in few to several days time happy, happy, joy, joy...

On the other side of things the cheap option ! you might reuse the recycled soil/compost from last year ?

Then i would suggest using nutrients basically if going online to hydroponic store or visiting one the basic nutrients are called grow (veg) & bloom (flowering) various brands to choose from up to you bud.

But 3 categories to choose from on average 1. hydroponic aka water based systems or for use with inert growing mediums like rock wool, perlite, clay pebbles etc 2. Coco coir based nutrients, 3. Soil based nutrients & those are the ones ya want :high-five:

So ya thinking Ok i'll get some grow (veg) nutrients how much do i use dude ?

Well at that stage of growth perhaps 1/4 strength of suggested application rate mention on label will do & increase with plant development or size etc bit like larger plants need more food etc

Ya work it out once ya see some feeding charts etc some times measures in ml or EC/ppm etc per volume of water basically start low when plants are young & increase up this just helps avoid nutrient burn issue's.

I know a little bit off info over load it will get ya thinking perhaps inspire you to do some more research, it's for the best bud :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom