Suggestions on a good PH meter

Maer

And also a meter for dissolved solids? (Testing water before adding stuff) I purchased a battery-less soil pH meter but it does not have the resolution to tell 6.3-6.7 accurately. Of course I would like a cheap one but want something accurate that will last.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheapest one I found on their site was 99 for a combo pH / TDS.

They have a really nice one for 129 that does it all. 10 bucks less if you don't want temp.

Thanks for the advice I think ill got for the 129, temp is for hydro I think but ill prolly pay the 10$ anyway.

OK now I have my meter and I have tons of questions:

1. How many readings can I take before I need to recalibrate?

2. How many times can I use the pH buffer / calibration solution? I am rinsing the probe with distilled in between readings and before putting it in the solution.

3. How long do I let the probe sit in the wash-through water until the reading is valid?

All my readings were between 6.8 and 7.2, from what I have read pH tends to go down as you grow, so should I try to force it down or wait for the nutes (Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom) to force it down? I have organic pH Up and Down waiting.

OK now I have my meter and I have tons of questions:

1- Lot of variables there. Test every week or 2 for peace of mind.

2- I would not store in the parent solution bottle. Rather pour some into a separate container. I would store in a dedicated storage solution or 4.0 buffer. Usually you put a few drops into the cap and store it upright. Did you get a manual?

3- Stir or shake the runoff for 30 seconds then let it sit for 5 min. Let the reading stabilize. Take 3 readings. Over time you get a feel for your meter.

I was never sure why people measure runoff. Been around horticulture/plant science for a while but new to cannabis.

Good Luck.

Absolutely you can measure soil pH with your meter. Some labs differ on the exact procedure but I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Google soil pH test procedures and you'll be able to find something you can follow easily.

You'll start by putting your soil into a solution/slurry w/ distilled or deionized water. The important part is to be consistent in the amount of soil and water (over different tests) to get consistent results.

If you're using a commercial grade mix I wouldn't fret too much over the pH (I know many will disagree). If you are outdoors or using outdoor soil you'll want to adjust, if necessary.

One more thing: As you adjust your water, whether with nutes or additives, give it some time (overnight) before measuring pH.

Regards,

HC

Back
Top Bottom