Super Skunk 400w hps from seed

tassy

hey everyone im growing 6 super skunk plants under 1 400w hps retro conversion light and 1 cfl that i added yesterday. 1 plant is doing well others not so well . i have a intake and exhaust temp has tried to be kept under 30c / 80f but few times has been over. i think they may have been stunned from heat?

they were planted around 20/7/12 so there about month old from seed and still pretty small.

i have the lights on 18/6., there off through out the day from 11 am to 5 pm

any ideas whats wrong with them

Re: super skunk 400w hps from seed.

20120817_204138.jpg
20120817_204129.jpg
20120817_204117.jpg

AHH SUPER SKUNK!!
My fave:) Well Tassy, im keen to see how they grow for you.. A hps will give slower growth during veg, as opposed to a MH. You can buy a DUAL-SPECTRUM globe that will cover both stages, but atm they need more blue light than red.
Youre plants seem a bit light in color, but that can be nothing..BUT..
I think your soil may be a problem for your girls.. Does it contain any nutrients?? Like a potting mix? As usually your seedlings will be fairly big after a month of growth, this is my girl at 1 month - she would be taller but ive LST'd her:
2012-08-07_15_08_01.jpg

Now, if your plants are in a soil with little nutrients your plants wont grow well. You can try adding LIGHT dose of nutrients, with N nitrogen, P potassium and K phosphorous, plants need more N during veg growth..
OR.. IMO you should get some decent potting mix or soil blend with these nutes and quickly transplant them and water in. They will take few days to respond, so dont stress, but they will come back to life!
Your HPS light CAN grow a plant from veg to flower, but im FAIRLY sure the results wont be as good, so maybe get urself a dual spectrum to save having to buy a ballast:)
Hope this helps a bit.. I WANNA SEE SKUNK BUDS!! lol SMOKEM...

thanks 4 your reply, yeah there in osmocote soil which is 4 month controlled fertlizer i have a mh light too the orange kinda one? so a soil with no nuts at all would be best? if i transplant should i remove any soil that there in now?
thanks

is yours just 1 plant? looks good! could i mix standard soil with my potting mix?

Hi Tas,
Well firstly, do you mean you have put 'Osmocote slow release fertilizer' in the soil?? Thats ok if you have, but yeah any decent potting mix should have nutrients in it enough to sustain a seedling for a while anyway so if youre using a good potting mix you wont need to add any.
I dont suggest transplanting into a nutrient free soil, i meant like some of that fox farms organic soil mix or similar.
They usually contain adequate nutes mate..
Secondly, a MH light is a bright whitish blue light, used for lighting football fields etc; not Amber, thats for flower - a HPS..
And yeah thats my girl, CINDY, she sprouted on 26/7, I LST'd her, my first attempt, it slowed her growth for a bit but now she's caught up. Im trying to grow her to 5 or 6ft, flowering her when she hits about 3.5-4ft... She has been a handfull as she has shitloads of shoots in her centre all fighting each other for space and now she looks MAD!! HOPING she will give me more than 8 oz..
I use a potting mix, with a little sand, some pea straw mulch and good Humus soil..
I feed her Nitrosol, mix of N,P,K and blood and bone, and some Seasol - Seaweed extract, Great for roots and plant health!
She has only just started a full dosage of nitrosol, after her first months birthday:) Its only a low dosage compared to some, but i find it fine for my grows.. Seaweed extract i use every 3rd feed.. She drinks a fair bit now!
So mate, really, my advice is just find some good potting mix that is a good soil base, not all pine bark and stuff, shouldnt be any more than $10, and see if you can find some good soil like the HUMUS soil i used,-about 10 buks too - mix em 50/50 and then you can transplant into that.. Give good water in and they should be fine until they get to around my girls size at 1 month.. You can add some 1/4 strength nutrient solution after she's settled in her new home if u like, but dont go too strong at first!
I hope this helps you mate, and as i said if you wanna save some bucks get a dual spectrum globe for veg and flower, or if you have a proper MH - Blue/White light, use that.. Careful with how close you have them as they will burn your plants if too close and also put out some heat, so having fans helps alot.. And during veg i use a 20/4 light/dark cycle until theyre bigger then go to 18/6 until i flower..
Also having the MH - i use a 400w - too close will create a shorter bushier plant, you can safely have a 400w MH light 3 feet above it and it will grow well as seedlings do not need all the intense light yet of a close 400w MH.
GOODLUCK AND ASK AROUND SOME MORE FIRST, get some opinions and take it from there ok! Later mate,
SMOKEMUP;)

i have transplanted them into a soil mix from bunnings and i mixed it with the potting mix about 4 soil and 1 potting mix, and yeah the potting mix had the nutes in it already

Hey mate,
Sweet, i hope that they will take off for you now in a few days they should start showing fresh growth:) You should have maybe gone 50/50 with soil and pot mix, but it should be fine..
They should only need a water every 2nd day or so, just wait til the top 2 inch or so is dry as they dont like soaked soil, the roots need to breathe also..
Give us another update in couple days and I REALLY HOPE THEY START TAKIN OFF GROWTH WISE SOON!!
Take it easy, SMOKEMUP;):thumb:

Hi Tassy,
Good to see they have grown some.. But lookin at the one with the hairs coming out the top, im not sure if theyre flowering pistils or if theyre whats known as 'Banana s'?? You shouldnt have that type of growth on the seedlings yet.. I think you may have to pull that one mate?
Not sure why it did that.. Hps lights - unless ur using a Dual-spectrum globe, have more of an amber light plants use for flowering usually.
Its the Mh most growers use at this stage and once bigger then change to hps for flowering. You can grow all the way thru with them, but as the light isnt a white light like an Mh and it may be why the seedling has done that?? IM NOT 100% on why that happened, but yeah, maybe when you can, buy a dual spectrum globe, that, you can use all way thru..
How high above the plants is the HPS? about 3.5ft away should be ok.. And maybe you want to keep the plants abit closer together under the light, so theyre all getting about the same light coverage. Hope this helps you a little..
All the best with the rest of your skunky girls:) Later mate, Smokem..:thumb:

hey was going good now has slowed down and seem to not be growing. some look flimsy and some got brow leafs colud it be ph or something like that?
20120906_182412.jpg
20120906_182400.jpg
20120906_182353.jpg

hi again these are my plants now i started 12/12 on 6/10/12 so few weeks in they are doing all right but one, the tallest one which i transplanted two weeks ago it bent a bit but i think that didnt damage it too much, anyway it is not growing at all since transplant and leafs are curling over burnt at tips on old and new growth all leaves are drooping pretty bad and are yellowing too.i think they were over fed a bit but im not feeding it at the monen for about two weeks now. i have flushed it with about 20liters of water three days ago... no improvement tho. the other two are good i spose they dont have massive buds as you can see but they are growing ... lil bit of nuits burn but nothing major?
. none of them smell really at all yet

20121107_195356.jpg

20121030_201104.jpg
20121030_200949.jpg
20121030_200919.jpg
20121030_200937.jpg
20121030_200707.jpg
20121030_200659.jpg

and also there are lots of mossies or fruit flies in the tent,not eating plant i dont think. are they bad?

Back
Top Bottom