trichome9

Bucket: 3 Gallon Smart Pots (round)
Medium: FFOF (Fox Farm Ocean Forest)
Lights: One 600W HPS, Two 150W HPS'
Nutrients: None
Strains: White Widow, Northern Lights and Cheese
Stage: 4th week of flowering

Started outdoors with expensive seeds from Amsterdam and was pleasantly surprised when 90% germinated after I had them two years. So the start was good. Started with little planning. Got the tent (4x4x6.5'), put dirt in the pots, threw in the seeds and added a little water.

Seeds planted outdoors May 22, 2015. Now, July 21st - the are so beautiful with frosty white trichomes all over the Northern Lights Extra. I am having trouble holding back. Ready for harvesting, drying, curing and storage.
Will harvest whole plant when trichomes turn 50% amber. Will dry for 4 to 9 days at 40% RH. I live in a hot/dry climate where 10% RH and 110* are common in the Summer.
Therefore, I have been battling heat and dryness, the two things I must control, the entire grow. Got a 5000 BTU portable a/c to attempt to keep it cool and a humidifier. Well, I didn't need the humidifier for the flower tent, just the trim and dry tent. Apparently I got close enough as they look fantastic.

With all the bungling I did, it is going to turn out terrific - stay tuned. I am convinced that quality potent cannabis can be simple grow with at least 900W's of light, good seed and control of temperature and humidity.
The lights were not air cooled and this is a big mistake. Plants and tent were constantly under heat stroke conditions.

NEXT GROW:
1. Less plants - hard to water - garden - etc. Instead of 20 I'll go with 4 or 5.
2. Air cooled lights. A package I saw had a dimmable ballast and both a 1000W HPS And HID.
3. Two 4x4x6.5' tents - one for veg and one for flower - got the second tent and will use for trim and dry of current harvest.
4. Five gallon smart pots (round) filled with FFOF.
5. Seeds go directly into five gallon smart pots.
6. No trimming, bending, training, fertilizing or anything.
7. I am after absolute simplicity.
8. Harvest whole and hang upside down to preserve moisture in a very dry climate.
9. Dry for 4 to 9 days.
10. Continue drying in one quart mason jars with mini-hygrometers.
11. Curing in mason jars and storage in a locked file cabinet.

Summary: I have been very lucky on my first grow. I though all the plants would die because of the heat (over 90 degrees in the tent before I got the a/c). But they did not a look great. I will keep you posted and include pictures as soon as I figure it out. It is my belief that you can grow some dynamite medicine with good seed, strong lights and the correct soil and water. That way there are no problems with too much of this or not enough of that. It is all very simple - light, water, soil and TLC. It is a lot easier for a beginner to go this way. It is NOT the best way. I carried a lot of water. I have a whole three car garage to use an it seems like a more hydroponic garden would produce great stuff and have automatic watering. However, for the rookie it is more complicated. And this is a great point for anyone starting a first grow - it is harder that you think. Lots to remember and lots can go wrong. On the other hand - it is a weed and mine went through 90 degree temps and extremely low humidity and turned out fine. We will so how fine in about 2 or 3 weeks.
All the Best,
Tricome9

I am also using a 16 inch Carbon Filter and a 182CFM inline fan on 4" ducting. I should have used 6" ducting.
It looks like harvest is 1 to 3 weeks away. Have trichomes on all but two plants. Waiting for them to turn 50% amber. Then will harvest the whole plant and hang if upside down in a 4x4x6.5' grow tent I bought to dry - which will later be used for a I separate veg tent. Some leaves are very blotchy. Have used no nutes. Some plants are beautifully green and others are blotchy. However, they are producing very nice buds so I will do nothing at this stage - don't know what to do anyway.
I am ordering 2 1/2 oz. from my local dispensary - now I remember why I am going to all this trouble. Per ounce charges in Nevada range from $250 to $400. I am a heavy user and it is costing me a bunch.
On the next grow I am converting my 600W HPS to air cooled and buying a 1000W HPS and HID light kit ($350).
Will keep you updated on harvest and yield.

I take back what I said on not needing a loupe. I got the Gro 1 Illuminated Double Loupe 30x 60x with a switchable LED light for maximum clarity and comes ready to use with three batteries. Great for Trichome analysis and on-the-go identification of pests and diseases on my plants (so far none except blotchy leaves). Love looking at those thick lovely tricks - so far clear with one plant showing cloudy.

To sum up so far, I am in day 66 for a 4x4x6.5' tent grow of 7 white widow's, 7 cheese's and 5 northern lights extra. The tent is full and this is too many plants for a tent this size. Four would be optimal, in 5 to 8 gallon smart pots with FFOF.

Estimate that harvest is 10 to 14 days away (three plants are 2 to 4 weeks away). Have set up additional 4x4 for trimming and initial drying. Have mason jars for curing - to store in vacuum sealed containers.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Running one 600W HPS and two 150W HPS's. No nutes or trimming.

August 7, 2015 4:48PM Update:
In day 77 (11 week) in 4x4x6.5 tent with one 600W HPS and two 150W HPS's, FFOF, no nutes, no trimming or pruning. Seven white widow, seven cheese (unknown strain) and five Northern Lights extra (all fem autos) from an Amsterdam seed company.
Trichomes a plenty but no cloudy or amber yet. The plants are huge, some over five feet tall and hitting up against the light (which I can raise anymore). With a 6.5' tent you lose one foot for the pot and one foot for the light so max height is about five feet. The Colas are getting bigger every day. Each plant has 30 to 75 nugs that are covered in thick thrichomes. I have another 4x4x6.5 tent, separated with a bamboo matrix or rack. I have 20 S hooks and will hang the harvest in two layers in the tent. Plan to dry 5 to 7 days (live in very dry and hot climate), then dry and cure in one quart mason jars. I can not wait to dry these strains has I have not had any of these). I did just get some Grand Daddy Purple and Blue Dream buds (hopefully my last buy from these bandits). First time I got GDP and I love it. Must grow some of this. Although, I really like my dispensary (VIP North Las Vegas).

Note: Their seems to be a product (marijuana) shortage in southern Nevada. My dispensary had to drive to California and buy 16 pounds of Blue Dream and GDP as there is nothing available. I thought everyone was growing all out. Perhaps the heavy demand from none flower applications (dabbers and food and drink) have reduced supply drastically. What ever is going on I am glad I am close to what looks like a great harvest. I will keep you posted.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom