Telling the Good Guys From the Bad Guys in Atlanta

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Reading this Atlanta Journal Constitution story revealing that more than half of the city’s police academy graduates used marijuana, and a third of them have criminal records, two thoughts occur to me.

First is the hypocrisy of a situation in which some people use marijuana and get arrested while others use marijuana but go on to lead productive lives – as police officers for heavens sake. Who decides which fate befalls a particular marijuana user? If marijuana use isn’t terrible enough to disqualify a person from the responsibilities of law enforcement, including the responsibility to arrest marijuana users, then how much sense does it make to arrest marijuana users in the first place?

The second is that these candidates are apparently making the cut because the city, desperate to increase the size of its force, has lowered its standards – at least in the minds of city officials. But what if the responsible, adult use of marijuana weren’t a crime? What if its manufacture and sale were regulated like alcohol rather than controlled by often-violent criminals? Atlanta’s need for law enforcement would almost certainly decrease, and they could recruit fewer, higher-quality officers to pursue violent crimes.

Actually, that reminds me of a third, terrible thought: Does lowered standards mean more bad cops on the street? The job is too important, and the consequences of making mistakes are too dire. Atlantans ought to recall the shooting of 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston two years ago next month by narcotics officers who mistakenly raided her house and then planted marijuana on her to try to cover their tracks.

We don’t need more bad cops, and we don’t need to waste good cops’ time chasing marijuana users – especially if they’re marijuana users themselves.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Author: Dan Bernath
Copyright: 2008 Marijuana Policy Project Contact: Contact MPP

"
Actually, that reminds me of a third, terrible thought: Does lowered standards mean more bad cops on the street? The job is too important, and the consequences of making mistakes are too dire. Atlantans ought to recall the shooting of 92-year-old Kathryn Johnston two years ago next month by narcotics officers who mistakenly raided her house and then planted marijuana on her to try to cover their tracks.
"

Were *all* the officers who took part in the coverup known to be former felons or criminals? Were half of them? Maybe just one of them, who was the one to come up with the idea in the first place? What are the statistics on bad cops? Do they all have previous records? Quite frankly, that statement is fear mongering. It's saying that people convicted of pot ought not to be cops because they're too immoral, or that they're going to plant evidence on folks who are victims of brutal police raids?

This is a terrible story, full of prejudice and malice. I think giving people a chance to change their lives and take up an occupation is a good thing. Bravo to Atlanta for doing so. What might be interesting is to discover whether or not these police officers are statistically more corrupt than other officers. It's not like the ones without backgrounds are squeaky clean in their unofficial police business.

Although, reminds me of a thought I had awhile back: When I was young and naive, I didn't want to become a police officer because I used drugs. Later in life I realized that they got all the best drugs and call girls for free, not to mention bribes. Sometimes I think if I could turn back the clock 10 years I'd have become a pig.

I would prefer having a MJ user over a liquor user as a cop. We all know MJ people are more calm and non aggressive I say hire the MJ people they are more mellow!!

its my feeling that though cannabis can open minds and mellow some people out, in general cannabis users are just people. if a good person uses cannabis they do good things. if a warped person uses cannabis they will still do warped things, especially if used with alcohol or hard drugs (yes people can change). i wouldn't trust a cop who uses cannabis any more than i'd trust one who doesn't. their rules don't apply to the general public.

I would prefer having a MJ user over a liquor user as a cop. We all know MJ people are more calm and non aggressive I say hire the MJ people they are more mellow!!

LOL... imagine the amount of doughnuts that would be consumed if we had stoners as cops. Atlanta doesn't have enough Krispy Creames or Dunkin's to accommodate this kind of demand.

Sorry, i know the cop and doughnut thing is overplayed, but i couldnt resist

Back
Top Bottom