The Deep Water Culture Home

HELP! My roots are getting brown and slimy. What should I do guys!?

SAM_10011.JPG
The only time using H2O2 is bad for any garden organic,inorganic,mixed regimen is that it will kill your beneficial bacteria and fungus that most garderners try to keep alive in their rez and at the grow medium. If you have more of those beneficials such as Piranha,Tarantula, or Voodoo Juice then you can just flush with PH corrected water at between 5 to 35% hydrogen peroxide for several hours, drain the rez and refill with normal nutes give 24 hours for any risidual proxide to break down and then just readd your beneficials.

I would however recommend running something like Sensizym at double strength with a mild nute mix then for a couple days I know that Sensizym will help cleanse your roots whiten them up get rid of the slime and any dead or dying roots will be broken down and feed back to the plant in useable forms. (I am sure there are = or better products than Sensizym but I know that it will work for sure thats the only reason I mention it)

This link will explain alot of what I am speaking about and also helps explain the things listed below. Instead of doing what Erik says at the end of the video about using Sensizyme to flush near the end of flowering is what I am talking about doing with your problem. So it can safely be done now or with a product that works the same. And you can even use 4 times the recommend amount of sensizyme safely.

Also I do not buy enzyme products really anymore I just started making a bioreactor of (Piranha,Tarantula,Voodoo Juice) that I feed with a small amount of carboload and as the beneficials grow they produce many different natural enzymes. This saves me on hardly ever having to buy Pirhana,Tarantula,Voodoo Juice by simply keeping a single rez that is basically a bio reactor when slightly modified. If anyone wants the details on a bio reactor I can give ya the basics on mine, came up with the premise for saving on beneficials through a home made bio reactor on my own but i am surely not the first. =)

PS in your case I may even run the peroxide through and then run sensizym through afterwards and then keep sensizyme on the high side for the next several feeds afterwards remember to give it a day after the nutes stablize to reinoculate with Pirhana,Taratula, or Voodoo Juice or any living beneficial organisms

Sorry I meant to link that for Blitty D , Really sorry for the double post just wanted to make sure it was seen before Blitty ran off to the hydro store to buy anything

alien8,Hope your next harvest will be a good one .. It's nice to have a good stash put away ! I hate having to buy this stuff before I grew my own I was spending over 120 a wk on weed !! That was way more than I could afford with no work !! Hang in there alien8 this place can be entertaining !! :peace:

Peroxide is good to have. Worth going and getting. But it doesn't always work best against this slime.

Physan 20 is the stuff you will really need. Nasty stuff, but it works.

FF nutes? As in their normal line? No worries, not the most organic. It's compatible with h202... no live beneficials. (*edit Cafghanica went into far more detail on this topic.)

Anyway... I got some info for you to read... but its a lot. I'll try PM. Give me a little bit.

Sorry I am not more familiar with your setup bro. Just don't have all the time I would like. What's the temps? Room and water?

My temps are in the high 80's ( I know too warm). My rez is about 73. Im looking forward to your PM. :reading420magazine:

Oh yeah I believe in a mixed regimen you can use the Sensi 2 part or Coniseur lines and really its about 85% organic and 15% inorganic. I find a nice medium between quick up take and long term feeding when using these lines, I have also had excellent results with the 100% Organic AN line but would still recommend Big Bud Supplements as well as overdrive but big bud is not 100% organic and overdrive is close but still not 100%.

Con is definatly the way to go its the same formula as Sensi 2 part bloom but with for proprietary hormones extracted from kelp/seaweed through fractionation that drive the plants metabolism extremely high at the end of flowering when it tends to slow, so you end up with plants that are Girthing and growing with no trade off on potency and increase in yield and overall beauty of the bud.

Interesting stuff Cafghanica! Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

press.jpg
Hi all I think I may have got a bit of mold or fungus amungus If you look at the edges of the leaf you may se some gray matter, it's not trichs ! I think it's mold ? I've been spraying the hell out of it but it's on all the buds in and under the canopy I hate to keep spraying but don't know what else to do !! Is it advisable to take the plant out and wash it off completly ? The buds are small and I have at least a month to go maybe more so if anyone has any idea what to do or what to use I'd love to hear from you, I've been using "Serenade" garden Disease Controll Good for fruits, flowering plants (bingo) , trees and shrubs. If I can't get rid of this will it hurt me to smoke it ?? Can't be any worse than some of the shit I breath in at work !!?? Thanks guys :peace:

Some others wanted to know what I was going to send in a PM to Blitty. Well, I was not able to get it all set, so I wrote up a small something. More will come tomorrow, but I am WAY too busy right now. Its crazy!

Blah, blah, blah about the type of Algae he has. Lots of useful info, but I am not allowed to post much of this here. Rules are rules.

Physan 20 is the stuff you'll need. It's nasty stuff. So much so... it's 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of water! A large nursery type chain would have them. Arnold's should. Maybe Lowes. Call around so you don't waste gas trying to find it. Worse comes to worse, you'll have to order some online.

h202 will help keep it in check. There are so many different kinds of algae, it's hard to say. but yours looks like Brown Slime Algae (google it). It's nasty. More closely related to a bacteria then an algae. It does not require much, if any light.

Block off all light, and make the reservoir 100% dark.

Drain out the water. Scrub down the inside best you can. Clean up everything in the water (airstones).

Hang the plants over two chairs, or something else that allows the roots to hang free. A mister bottle works well here. GENTLY spray the roots trying to remove some of the algae. Some roots might be suffocated and fall off. Don't worry. But DO not starting pulling off roots. A root trimming will be a last ditch effort later, if we need it. Lets see if we can save them.

Once everything is scrubbed clean... start filling the reservoir back up. Using over the counter 3% Peroxide (h202) mix in 2 tablespoons for every 1 gallon water. PH test the water. Keep it in the normal range for cannabis.

I would leave this for 24 hours. Drain, and refill using physan 20 diluted mix. Let me double check on mixing Physan, as this stuff can be harsh and hurt the plants if done wrong.

That was most of what I said. I have lots more on this subject.

press.jpg
Hi all I think I may have got a bit of mold or fungus amungus If you look at the edges of the leaf you may se some gray matter, it's not trichs ! I think it's mold ? I've been spraying the hell out of it but it's on all the buds in and under the canopy I hate to keep spraying but don't know what else to do !! Is it advisable to take the plant out and wash it off completly ? The buds are small and I have at least a month to go maybe more so if anyone has any idea what to do or what to use I'd love to hear from you, I've been using "Serenade" garden Disease Controll Good for fruits, flowering plants (bingo) , trees and shrubs. If I can't get rid of this will it hurt me to smoke it ?? Can't be any worse than some of the shit I breath in at work !!?? Thanks guys :peace:

Looks like Powdery mildew to me....

trying spraying a mix of Baking Soda and water. Yup, just those.

It will throw off the leaf's surface PH and the Mildew will not be able to grow.

Get more fans. Powdery Mildew does not like moving air! If its a super bushy and dense plants, use LST for canopy managements and open her up to some fresh air.

Here, use this recipe:
* 1 tablespoon of baking soda
* ½ teaspoon of liquid soap
* 1 gallon of water

Might want to invest in some bubblebags. I can link you to great ones, cheaper then the name brand (made by a medical user in CA). I have used them for a while now. Jonnybtreed just got himself a set. They are TOP notch. The water/ice extraction will take the mold/mildew/funk out and separate the hash. A great way to save an otherwise wasted crop.

NEVER, EVER, EVER SMOKE MOLDY, MILDEW COVERED, NASTY, OR OTHERWISE "OFF" CANNABIS. A LONG LIST OF HEALTH CONCERNS CAN QUICKLY FOLLOW. TRUST ME. Breathing mold spores is not good.

"what about the fire?"

You start breathing before everything has burned for a long enough time to be certain the mold is gone. Not worth the risk. Make hash instead! :cheer:

RP, Just soaked the hell out of them with your solution (Pun ?) I also turned 2 fans on the plant to help dry it out and blow the shit out of that mold !! Thanks I'll let you know how it all turns out !! :peace: Can you give me the name of the guy whos got those bags ?! I may just use that if I have anymore probs. :thanks:

Hey guys sorry I haven't been around in a while, unfortunately I have been hospitalized since last Thursday, due to a nasty leg infection! Hopefully I'll get to go home tommorow! If so expect a killer garden update! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Thats no place to be , hope your out of there soon Answer, do they give you your meds there :)smokin2:) ? I guess the only good was you probably got caught up on your reading !! Take care of your self in there Answer, and be carefull those hospitals are full of sick people...:peace:

P.S. To the above next time (hope it never happens) let your pals here know where your at so we could send a card or box of edibles !!

Thats no place to be , hope your out of there soon Answer, do they give you your meds there :)smokin2:) ? I guess the only good was you probably got caught up on your reading !! Take care of your self in there Answer, and be carefull those hospitals are full of sick people...:peace:

Thanks ol hippy! Unfortunately only chemical meds here! Your right I have been doing some reading, a good book called Dark Mission: The secret history of NASA! Great read, I highly reccomend!

:420:
Yep, THE EXODUS, when Mostly Crazy Moses led us out of bondage to the promised land of milk and honey and home of the BHs!

I'm so glad you are here, you are an experienced needed grower and as I recall, you have a lot to offer.

We are not allowed to mention that site here by name, so we just call it "the other place" or "the hell hole" ! LOL

Damn I missed all the fun hah. Thats a shame about the other place, seems like your in a great place now, as soon as I got here I noticed all the Deep Water Culture/Deep Water Culture threads and I knew I was home :grinjoint: I appreciate that Roseman, im glad to be back man, all of you guys taught me so much it only seems right to pay it forward. I love the Deep Water Culture Smilie/Icon they have, thats very cool! :420:
:peace:

NEVER, EVER, EVER SMOKE MOLDY, MILDEW COVERED, NASTY, OR OTHERWISE "OFF" CANNABIS. A LONG LIST OF HEALTH CONCERNS CAN QUICKLY FOLLOW. TRUST ME. Breathing mold spores is not good.

A mate of mine got really sick doing just that. Lung infection closely followed by serious septisemic shock. So it seriously should be bubblebagged or thrown.:peace:

What's a bubble bag?

Oh, googled it, take the moldy buds and make hash, I get it now.
Also most of the 5 gallon bubble bag sets from for example Kindseeds etc for 5 galllon bubble bags are a little pricey ranging from 200 to 300 bucks for a set. They are well worth it espcially if you are coming off lots and lots of trim. I was going to offer you a cheaper method on ebay they have 1gallon sets of bubble bag so if your only doing small batches they may save you a ton of money espcially if your on a tight budget. Here are some of the 1 gallon sets cheap

NEW 1 GALLON 1GAL 8 BAG HERBAL BUBBLE ICE EXTRACTOR KIT - eBay (item 230457458846 end time Apr-07-10 13:15:05 PDT)

and here are some of the 5 gallon cheaper knock off sets.

NEW 5 GALLON 5GAL 8 BAG HERBAL BUBBLE ICE EXTRACTOR KIT - eBay (item 180482643211 end time Apr-16-10 21:52:56 PDT)

If money is not an issue I would go with Kindseeds products though they are made to last for along time, the knock offs above may rip or tear if not handle gently with in the first 10 or 15 batches but u will have paid for it 10 times by that time. hope this was helpful! Peace

RP, Just soaked the hell out of them with your solution (Pun ?) I also turned 2 fans on the plant to help dry it out and blow the shit out of that mold !! Thanks I'll let you know how it all turns out !! :peace: Can you give me the name of the guy whos got those bags ?! I may just use that if I have anymore probs. :thanks:

That was fast! :roorrip:

It should help a lot. Now be careful not to mistake the baking soda residue for more Powdery Mildew.:smokin:

And worse comes to worse... check these out:

Sprung Bags, Multi-Purpose Filter Bags

For the price, they can't be beat. Same exact quality as Bubblebags. Only difference, Bubblebags come color coded. These have labels, but are all one color. These are NOT those cheap, crappy e-bay bags. They are nice. I'd suggest the 5 gallon set.

I just dried some hash out, will be pressing it tonight. I'll take pics.

(absolutely nothing wrong with Bubblebags. Bubbleman even has a website, and is active on forums. Super helpful guy, with quality product. These are just another choice!)

And just for fun, this is some little babies getting ready for the outdoor season

outdoor_4-2010.jpg

Just getting started. Have more to go. Also got a couple autoflowers I plan to grow in pots to give me multiple harvest (early and late), and just to see what they can do. 15 autoflower seeds for this year. Lots of regular beans to choose from.

This has got to be one of my favorite all around strains:
Black_Domina_outdoors_4-2010.jpg

Strain is Black Domina. Always a heavy yielder and always super quality smoke. It's couchlock/painkiller smoke, but its GREAT. I'm a big fan.

I know, pics aren't much yet. One autoflower is starting to bud, so hopefully better pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom