The different types of seaweeds

chinchillin

I've been trying to source kelp meal for a bit in my little euro country I live in but, it always has to be imported from western europe at some slightly at times prohibitive costs. Another type of seaweed that is more readily available in my country is a Baltic fucus vesiculosus or "bladderwrack" . I looked up the differences and as small as they are people in the body nutrients circles seem to think they aren't interchangeable.

Anyone have any idea if that would be the case for growing plants?

A big difference is where the two types of seaweed grow. The Kelp that is recommended for gardening uses grows in deeper and cooler waters further out in the ocean. Part of the harvesting procedure is to remove a good amount of the sea salt from the Kelp.

The Bladderwrack grows in the area along the shores between the high tide and low tide levels. My thought is that it will be more likely to pick up more of the trace pollutants are are being dumped in the oceans. Those will not be washed out during processing. I have to believe that the processing would help to remove most of the salts.

Hard to find the NPK numbers for the "bladderwrack", proably because it is used for animal and human feeding more than for gardening uses. But, I did find them and the bladderwrack is shown as having a Potassium level a bit below the ocean Kelp. Not that much of a difference but it is lower.

A big difference is where the two types of seaweed grow. The Kelp that is recommended for gardening uses grows in deeper and cooler waters further out in the ocean. Part of the harvesting procedure is to remove a good amount of the sea salt from the Kelp.

The Bladderwrack grows in the area along the shores between the high tide and low tide levels. My thought is that it will be more likely to pick up more of the trace pollutants are are being dumped in the oceans. Those will not be washed out during processing. I have to believe that the processing would help to remove most of the salts.

Hard to find the NPK numbers for the "bladderwrack", proably because it is used for animal and human feeding more than for gardening uses. But, I did find them and the bladderwrack is shown as having a Potassium level a bit below the ocean Kelp. Not that much of a difference but it is lower.

Thank you for the reply! Bladderwrack is easier to find and cheaper but if there is a will there is a way to get that kelp meal. A couple more hours of searching and I think I found kelp meal that isn't from an overpriced cannabis shop online. Thank again.

Back
Top Bottom