The Killing of Rachel Hoffman and the Tragedy That Is Pot Prohibition

PFlynn

Rachel Hoffman is dead. Rachel Hoffman, like many young adults, occasionally smoked marijuana.

But Rachel Hoffman is not dead as a result of smoking marijuana; she is dead as a result of marijuana prohibition.

Under prohibition, Rachel faced up to five years in a Florida prison for possessing a small amount of marijuana. (Under state law, violators face up to a $5,000 fine and five years in prison for possession of more than 20 grams of pot.)

Under prohibition, the police in Rachel's community viewed the 23-year-old recent college graduate as nothing more than a criminal and threatened her with jail time unless she cooperated with them as an untrained, unsupervised confidential informant. Her assignment: Meet with two men she'd never met and purchase a large quantity of coca*ne, ecst*sy and a handgun. Rachel rendezvoused with the two men; they shot and killed her.

Under prohibition, the law enforcement officers responsible for brazenly and arrogantly placing Rachel in harm's way have failed to publicly express any remorse - because, after all, under prohibition Rachel Hoffman was no longer a human being deserving of such sympathies.

Speaking on camera to ABC News' "20/20" last week, Tallahassee Police Chief Dennis Jones attempted to justify his department's callous and irresponsible behavior, stating, "My job as a police chief is to find these criminals in our community and to take them off the streets (and) to make the proper arrest."

But in Rachel Hoffman's case, she was not taken "off the streets," and police made no such arrest - probably because, deep down, even they know that people like Rachel pose no imminent threat to the public. Instead, the officers on the scene secretly cut a deal with Rachel: They told her that they would not file charges if she agreed to go undercover.

Rachel became the bait; the Tallahassee police force went trolling for sharks.

In the weeks preceding Rachel's murder, police told her to remain tight-lipped about their backroom agreement - and with good reason. The cops' on-the-spot deal with Rachel flagrantly violated Tallahassee Police Department protocol, which mandated that such an arrangement must first gain formal approval from the state prosecutor's office. Knowing that the office would likely not sign off on their deal - Rachel was already enrolled in a drug court program from a prior pot possession charge, and cooperating with the TPD as a drug informant would be in violation of her probation - the police simply decided to move forward with their informal arrangement and not tell anybody.

"(In) hindsight, would it have been a good idea to let the state attorney know? Yes," Jones feebly told "20/20." Damn right it would have been; Rachel Hoffman would still be alive.

But don't expect Jones or any of the other officers who violated the department's code of conduct - violations that resulted in the death of another human being - to face repercussions for their actions. Obeying the rules is merely "a good idea" for those assigned with enforcing them. On the other hand, for people like Rachel, violating those rules can be a death sentence.

Of course, to those of us who work in marijuana law reform, we witness firsthand every day the adverse consequences wrought by marijuana prohibition - a policy that has led to the arrest of nearly 10 million young people since 1990. To us, the sad tale of Rachel Hoffman marks neither the beginning nor the end of our ongoing efforts to bring needed "reefer sanity" to America's criminal justice system. It is simply another chapter in the ongoing and tragic saga that is marijuana prohibition.

News Hawk: PFlynn - 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: AlterNet (US)
Copyright: 2008 AlterNet
Website: The Killing of Rachel Hoffman and the Tragedy That Is Pot Prohibition | DrugReporter | AlterNet

Here is a perfect example where retribution is in order. I don't advocate violence but sometimes its the only recourse. The cops and police chiefs actions directly resulted in the death of an innocent civilian. If the legal system has failed there someone needs to end the corruption. And violence maybe the only way.

Obeying the rules is merely "a good idea" for those assigned with enforcing them.
^ I never thought about that but it's absolutely true. When it comes to marijuana users, we often lose our rights as human beings by the police and even when something as tragic as Rachels case happens they dont have to take responsibility for it.

Here is a perfect example where retribution is in order. I don't advocate violence but sometimes its the only recourse. The cops and police chiefs actions directly resulted in the death of an innocent civilian. If the legal system has failed there someone needs to end the corruption. And violence maybe the only way.

I agree that something must be done about this but I don't see how violence would help correct the situation. I think enough violence has already been used. First things first, the police officers should have their badges revoked and they should be banned from ever joining the force again. That would not only bring some justice to what they did, but it would also send out a message to all other cops who might use similar tactics.

OOOOH that sounds like a plan to me! lol

Fuck The Government

lol i heard an elderly lady the other day say "fuck the guvmin."

so the police broke the law did they not? they entrapped this girl into violating her probation. there should be consequences for this!

i bet those damn pigs aren't even in deep shit, i think that they are in protective custody or at least have guards to protect them from all the angry citizens.

ABC News
Thats 20/20's coverage of the story. The police chief makes me absolutely sick!

Back
Top Bottom