Tallahassee Police: We Shouldn't Have Blamed Rachel Hoffman

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Tallahassee Police Chief Dennis Jones admits the department was wrong to have initially said Rachel Hoffman got herself killed when the confidential informant was shot in a disastrous May 7 drug bust.

"We were placing most of the blame on Rachel Hoffman. I regret that now," Jones said Friday. "It made us look like we weren't taking responsibility for what happened."

Speaking a day after the release of harsh internal-affairs reports, Jones said he'd suspected early on that there was more to the story than simply Hoffman's refusal to obey instructions by following two suspected drug dealers to an unauthorized location. But that's what officers initially told him, he said, and that's what he told the public.

"I think we were too quick to relate what we knew at the time," he said.

Within a few days, however, he began to look into the incident and read the officers' first reports. He realized the department had made mistakes, too.

"That's when I said, 'Whoa, wait a minute, guys. This isn't the way we were supposed to be doing it,'" he said.

Hoffman's family lawyer, Lance Block, said the chief's comments are a step in the right direction.

"It's been obvious for five months now that Rachel Hoffman was the victim of negligence by the Tallahassee Police Department, which directly led to her death," Block said. "So, Chief Jones' comments are clearly appropriate."

Jones ordered an internal-affairs investigation three days after Hoffman's body was found May 9. That investigation found 21 individual violations of nine separate policies.

"I didn't think it would be so many policies not being followed," Jones said. "We have to share in the responsibility."

Ultimately, however, Jones and other city officials say, it's the job of the criminal and civil courts to determine exactly who shoulders the most responsibility.

"If there hadn't been these procedural errors, can you say with any certainty that Rachel wouldn't have been killed? I don't think we can," said Michelle Bono, assistant to the city manager. "Even in the best of operations, you never know exactly what the outcome will be."

But Hoffman's parents and others have contended that she should never have been used as a confidential informant in the first place. Certainly, they say, police should never have let such an untrained novice go alone to meet suspected drug dealers who officers knew had a gun.

Hoffman was also in a court diversion program stemming from an earlier marijuana-possession conviction. Because of that, the State Attorney's Office should have been notified before Hoffman was recruited as an informant, but that never happened.

"(City officials) say that they want to be held accountable," said Block. "I think they should admit they are negligent and say they are sorry and ... compensate this family fairly."

Jones said that Hoffman should have been dropped as an informant early on. From the beginning, she did numerous things that should have made it clear to her main contact, Investigator Ryan Pender, that she wasn't cut out to be an informant.

"He should have cut her loose then," Jones said.

As chief, he trusted his staff and didn't think it necessary to micromanage how confidential informants were used.

"There were assumptions made that people were doing their jobs," Jones said. "My disappointment is a loss of confidence in those folks."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Tallahassee Democrat
Author: Jennifer Portman
Copyright: 2008 Tallahassee Democrat
Website: Tallahassee police: We shouldn't have blamed Rachel Hoffman

"We were placing most of the blame on Rachel Hoffman. I regret that now," Jones said Friday. "It made us look like we weren't taking responsibility for what happened."

Most of the blame? All of the blame is yours for putting a naive young user into harms way with known violent dealers several levels up the food chain

Speaking a day after the release of harsh internal-affairs reports, Jones said he'd suspected early on that there was more to the story than simply Hoffman's refusal to obey instructions by following two suspected drug dealers to an unauthorized location. But that's what officers initially told him, he said, and that's what he told the public.

"I think we were too quick to relate what we knew at the time," he said.

This is either unbelievably naive or the chiefster still hasn't left coverup mode. Cops lie just like everybody else.

Within a few days, however, he began to look into the incident and read the officers' first reports. He realized the department had made mistakes, too.

Again, you made all the mistakes not just some. You've got to get away from the model of trying to build rat pyramids. People are getting hurt and the public should have your head for this incident

"That's when I said, 'Whoa, wait a minute, guys. This isn't the way we were supposed to be doing it,'" he said.

Good point Doctor Obvious pH Duh!

"I didn't think it would be so many policies not being followed," Jones said. "We have to share in the responsibility."

The slow turn begins.

First it was all her fault.

Now it's shared responsibility.

Soon the court will teach you it's all your fault and if there's any karmic justice you'll all lose your jobs and the laws will be changes so this type of horror never happens again.

Found this on Reason Magazine

Rachel Hoffman: More Collateral Damage

Radley Balko | May 13, 2008, 8:11am

Earlier this year, police in Tallahassee, Florida raided the home of college student Rachel Hoffman, who friends say was a bit of a hippie-ish free spirit, and concede that she shared and sold small amounts of marijuana and MDMA within her social circle. Hoffman was at the time undergoing state-forced drug treatment after police found 20+ grams of marijuana in her car during a traffic stop. The raid turned up another five ounces of marijuana, plus six ecstasy pills and assorted pot-related paraphernalia.

From this, Tallahassee police apparently threatened Hoffman with prison time, then agreed to let her off easy if she'd become a police informant, and set up a deal with her supplier. They never informed Hoffman's attorney or the state prosecutor of the arrangement. They wired Hoffman, and asked her to arrange to purchase 1,500 ecstasy pills, cocaine, and a gun—a deal that would have run well over ten thousand dollars. Hoffman's friends and family have told me that all three purchases would also have been drastically out of character for her. Which means the dealers she was buying from were almost surely on to her.

Tallahassee police found Hoffman's body last week. The first thing they did was call a press conference in which they blamed Hoffman for her own death, stating that the arrangement she made with the police was consistent with department protocol, and that she agreed to meet with the dealers in a different location than the one previously agreed upon.

After public outrage, the city is now walking that back a bit, and has asked Florida's attorney general to look into the Tallahassee Police Department's procedures for dealing with drug informants.

Chalk it up as collateral damage, and add Hoffman's name to that of Isaac Singletary and Anthony Diotaiuto, three deaths of non-violent, non-threatening Floridians in just the last few years, thanks to the drug war.

Source

This sad story should take you back to basics. NEVER trust a cop, NEVER talk to a cop. They are not your friend, they are not going to help you.

This sad story should take you back to basics. NEVER trust a cop, NEVER talk to a cop. They are not your friend, they are not going to help you.

exactly. They aren't your friends nor are they to help you. They have a job to accuse you of anything they possibly can. That's why they get paid for it. Know your rights before you talk to pigs.

exactly. They aren't your friends nor are they to help you. They have a job to accuse you of anything they possibly can. That's why they get paid for it. Know your rights before you talk to pigs.

We've all got some good friends at LEAP. LEOs that have seen the light, stood up against their colleagues, and publicly taken their position against the war on drugs. I think we should commend this slice of the population. It's only when this sector grows that the naked emporer (failed prohibition policy) can eventually be acknlowedged.

I do however agree we all need to be cautious in dealing with the police, and we should know and exercise our rights, particularly when "at risk".

I think User' has the exact correct question, and I wish I knew the correct answer.

I think we all need to be careful in any encounter. But the LEAP members that I've heard speak, primarilly on Reason sponsered podcasts, said they avoided Pot related infractions. Of course that's just their word but the guy I heard speak was damn passionate about the need to leave the people be, the waste of money, and how much time it took away from catching real criminals that were hurting people.

He had me convinved he was a good guy. That said, I'd still ask for my lawyer if I met him on the street:)

I agree there are "some" good cops out there. But you have to operate inder the assumption that they are all bad when you are being confronted by them. Just exercise your 5th amendment rights.

Back
Top Bottom