There is a Plant That Could Save Us!

Jacob Bell

What if I told you there is a plant that will grow in almost any climate with little or no fertilizer or irrigation necessary and whose seed has nutritional value superior to every other plant except soy? What if I told you this plant contains all nine essential amino acids, nutrition not available from other plant sources? What if I told you this plant can be used to produce a variety food products such as snack bars, "nut butters" and other spreads, bread, pretzels, cookies, yogurts, pancakes, porridge, fruit crumble, frozen dessert, pasta, burgers, pizza, salt substitute, salad dressings, mayonnaise, "cheese," and beverages, and is astonishingly nutritional?

What if I told you there is a plant which produces fiber superior to cotton because it is more absorbent and its fibers are longer and therefore stronger? What if I told you the cultivation of this plant pre-dates the cultivation of cotton?

What if I told you there is a plant which produces fiber that can be used to make naturally acid-free paper without the use of toxic chemicals? What if I told you this plant produces fiber at a rate four times greater than the fiber produced by pulp wood (trees) using the same land area?

What if I told you there is a plant which produces oil that can be used as bio-fuel? What if I told you the material remaining after the oil is extracted is an excellent source for animal feed? What if I told you this plant can be used to produce ethanol without the use of traditional food crops such as corn?

What if I told you there is a plant that can be used to produce healthy and therapeutic oils and lotions for human use?

What if I told you there is a plant that can be used to produce construction materials that are rot and bug resistant, breathable and which sequester (store) carbon, thereby reducing greenhouse gasses? What if I told you these construction materials include fiber-board which is stronger than that made from wood, insulation that is naturally pest resistant and environmentally safe? What if I told you that, mixed with lime, parts of the plant produce a stone-like material similar to concrete but lighter and with better heat and sound-insulating properties?

What if I told you there is a plant that, when used for animal bedding (from horses to cats to birds) can absorb 50% more moisture than wood shavings, is dust-free, non-allergenic and is easily composted?

What if I told you there is a plant that can be used to produce biodegradable alternatives to plastic? What if I told you this plant can be used to make molded auto-body parts which are stronger than fiberglass?

What if I told you there is a plant which could help clean toxic soil contaminated by lead or other heavy metals? What if I told you this plant actually replenishes the soil rather than depleting it? What if I told you this plant has been cultivated for thousands of years and used to make rope, cloth, paper and food?

What if I told you there is a plant which Popular Mechanics magazine in 1938 called "the new billion dollar crop," stating that it "can be used to produce more than 25,000 products, ranging from dynamite to Cellophane?"

What if I told you it is illegal to grow this plant in the United States?

This plant is hemp, and despite being related to the plant we call 'marijuana,' smoking hemp will not get you high. Remember when your 10-year-old self found a long, hollow, dried-out grass stem growing somewhere? You pulled it up, lit one end and sucked the noxious smoke into your lungs. Did you get high?

In spite of the uses and potentials listed here, it remains against Federal law to grow industrial hemp. Why can't this plant be grown in the United States? Who benefits from a continued ban on domestic production of this plant? That might be worth looking into.

Thank You to Julie Gardener for submitting this article.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: associatedcontent.com
Author: Emmet S Cooney
Copyright: Yahoo! Inc.

Thank Jack Herer for bring this to light.

If those numbers are true and if the us uses 19.6 million barrels a day we would need to plant roughly 22,356 square miles of hemp to get america of oil. A little smaller than west virgina. My math might be wrong tho.

If Hemp were legal (although I did read somewhere that it's not officially federally regulated?), I would bet my lunch money that every state would have many folks growing it. It was the number three cash crop in 1937, I bet it would quickly reach no. 1 if legal these days. I know I would grow it :)

Back
Top Bottom