Tips on cleaning buds

NolaGrow

I'm getting closer and closer to my first harvest and well I can't wait to...! Question I have is no matter how well I keep my grow room those pesty dog hairs find away to fly in due to the negative pressure. I hear about 'washing' buds would this method work for hairs too? Also was thinking about having to keep my little air compressor near by to blow them off while I trim?? Any suggestions would be great!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_6.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_6.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 137
I’ve watched videos of people washing their buds by dunking them in buckets of water but I haven’t tried it myself. Maybe you could try putting a piece of screen over the end of your intake to catch the hair. Just a thought

Shave your dog, man, lol.

@SweetSue , got a link to a bud washing thread/post handy?

Trust me I wanted to over a month ago but the Mrs would throw me in his dog cage, which is bigger than my tent so that says that lol. There is a form on here with the details? Never expected such frustrations from dang dog hair :lot-o-toke:

I see Teddy answered you. :hug:

I don’t pollute my wash with either lemon juice or baking soda, but instead I use a dilution of H2O2 in the first bucket. One 32-oz bottle to approx. 5 gal of water has worked well for me.

@TorturedSoul yikkkkes my biggest fear came true today. these pollen sacs formed overnight it seems like because I examine my plans pretty well everyday. I'm guessing it might be from me running a little higher temps around 82° Fahrenheit maximum with lights on. I'm not sure... I've got it growing with two autos as well hopefully it doesn't mess them up. Is it possible to cut the one branch off and let the plant continue to grow or would that just completely stress it out and continue to hermaphrodite? I don't want to run a chance screwing up my autos that only have 35 days left meanwhile this thing is just in week 3 of flowering. Was looking so good.. things were going to smoothly for my crappy beginner's luck. Some professional advice would be helpful right now :lot-o-toke::nervous-guy:

I see Teddy answered you. :hug:

I don’t pollute my wash with either lemon juice or baking soda, but instead I use a dilution of H2O2 in the first bucket. One 32-oz bottle to approx. 5 gal of water has worked well for me.
So this method would actually remove the dog hair that is stuck pretty well to all the buds? These sticky things are pretty hard for me to pull off sometimes with my fingers which I feel like I'm doing more damage to the plant when doing that by knocking trichs off. I will definitely give it a shot either way because these are the wrong kind of extra hairs I'm looking for! :hmmmm:

heya friend,,

bud washing may remove dust and possible spray residue, and perhaps some bugs as well,, :thumb:

but them hairs,, they be there to stay.

i presume you are talkin fine hairs,, not the big course ones,, i have the same issue, but with cat hairs. the hairs get in there early on and the buds grow around em,, hard to get them out,, indeed :confused:

but wash them buds, indeed. as Sue stated. the hydro peroxide does the trick

cheers friend

heya friend,,

bud washing may remove dust and possible spray residue, and perhaps some bugs as well,, :thumb:

but them hairs,, they be there to stay.

i presume you are talkin fine hairs,, not the big course ones,, i have the same issue, but with cat hairs. the hairs get in there early on and the buds grow around em,, hard to get them out,, indeed :confused:

but wash them buds, indeed. as Sue stated. the hydro peroxide does the trick

cheers friend
[/]
Yikes I figured that. They are those fine hairs your talking about, I'm sure those are going to taste great :passitleft:
Also noticed I got a hermaphrodite in the garden. What a swell day it's been..! The few sacs didn't open yet so hopefully me removing it in time saves me. The growing pains:volcano-smiley:

I think you’re stuck with the hairs, but enough members have the same dilemma, and they’re still partaking. :laughtwo: I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

I don't suppose that ingesting a dog hair now and then is going to constitute any kind of major health danger, lol - after all, there are still lots of Koreans on the planet ;) .

NolaGrow, yes, of course it is possible to remove a branch, if you feel that there is a need. Does doing so cause stress to the plant? Yeah, well, you know... Probably so - it will have just lost a percentage of its mass. <SHRUGS> But I'd consider it to be a minor concern, call it "working stress" if you want, meaning that this is one of those things that can - and does - occasionally happen in nature, and my feeling on the question is that the species would have evolved over (obviously) quite an extended period of time, during which, events such as the one you are contemplating would have occurred... Not frequently, but not probably not all that rare, either. Thus my use of "working stress" to imply that it'd probably be one of those things that were allowed for in the design, so to speak, if this was a human-manufactured product instead of a plant. Er... If that makes sense. People do keep mother plants - and, upon occasion, we find ourselves "harvesting" a significant percentage of the plant's mass over a short period of time for cuttings that we can turn into rooted clones and supply plants for the next round of growing. I expect that, if such things had a high likelihood of causing of the sort that you are worried about, well... First, we'd have heard/read something about it by now and, second, we'd probably have had to rethink the whole mother plant concept.

So I wouldn't be greatly concerned about it, if I were you. Vigilant, sure. Keep an eye out for the occasional(?) appearance of opposite-sex flowers. In theory, one could grow a "full-on shim" and take it all the way to harvest without ever seeing a single seed produced IF the grower is able to remove each male flower before it opens and releases its pollen. However, this kind of thing can turn into a bit of a PITA - so it's up to you to decide whether you're looking at the occasional production of a small number of male flowers, if the effort involved would be worth it to you (or even possible - my eyesight is pretty poor, and I have learned that it's pretty easy to miss a male flower or two), et cetera.

Back
Top Bottom