Bud washing

KentuckyDave

420 Member
Recently I have been experimenting with washing my bud after harvest as I grow outdoors and have a lot of pests to control. So far I have basically just gently rinsed lightly trimmed buds in cool tap water with good results. Meaning I have successfully removed dirt,bugs and organic pest deterrent sprays without damaging the trichs and overall quality of the bud.I have read a bit on using hot water,lemon juice and baking soda as a wash but haven't tried it yet.as I am a couple weeks away from a fairly large harvest I am curious as to what the general verdict is on bud washing.Any input will be greatly appreciated. Peace.

:welcome:

There is a lot of debate on bud washing. I do it and notice a huge amount of shit in my first wash bucket, which proves there is debris to be cleaned out of the buds. However, I have tried not washing some buds and it seems they retain more of an aroma, which many people love.

I use 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup baking soda in a 5-gallon bucket with 2 buckets of rinse water.

Gold leaf clone. 41 days into flower

Attachments

• IMG_20180916_123235.jpg
    IMG_20180916_123235.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 896
Have you read the bud washing thread Here?

I use a gallon of H2O2 mixed with 4 gallons of room temperature water, followed by 2 rinses of plain room temperature water, and hang to dry for at least 5 days. I don't like the baking soda/lemon juice combo as i felt it imparted an unusual taste to my finished flowers, and it seemed unnecessary after using hydrogen peroxide.
You're outside so you may want more of the surficant cleansing power that the baking soda/lemon juice gives you.
All the best in finding the method that works for your situation. :ciao:

Welcome to :420: by the way. You've found the place to be for great information and even greater people.
Again :welcome:

I noticed an immediate decrease in aroma in the buds I washed recently, but as they have been drying the smell is now powerful again and very pleasant. Go Big Blue! You a Wildcat fan Dave? Welcome to 420 mag by the way!

Wow! As I said, I'm just learning to navigate around this site via smartphone, a cheap one at that! Just now found all yalls great feedback.Nice Scrogster! Been both a Ky.cats and az cats fan Magoo.yes I definitely will be washing my bud this year.Also kind of tricky drying/curing in single digit humidity. Took Ky.for granted.literally had to scatter seed and kick dirt over.come back 2nd week of July and side dress with tri phosphate s and return to harvest in late fall

Wow! As I said, I'm just learning to navigate around this site via smartphone, a cheap one at that! Just now found all yalls great feedback.Nice Scrogster! Been both a Ky.cats and az cats fan Magoo.yes I definitely will be washing my bud this year.Also kind of tricky drying/curing in single digit humidity. Took Ky.for granted.literally had to scatter seed and kick dirt over.come back 2nd week of July and side dress with tri phosphate s and return to harvest in late fall

Yeah, there is sure something special about that Kentucky dirt. I remember years back when I was youngin I would spend my summers around the Millwood, Leitchfield area, and we had this not so well put together tree fort outback my aunties place. Anyhow, we would smoke up there all the time, and in the course of rolling all them doobie brothers joints we would find seeds and toss them out, and I swear every seeds we ever tossed grew without any help from us. Man, some of the biggest plants I have ever grew was in that Ky dirt. Anyhow, I send you a big thanks for kicking up that very fond memory!!!

Hey there Igbg,I know where Millwood is. Grayson co.I think.I'm from the far so west of state on the Tn.state line.Ky.Lake area.for sure in the monster plants you can grow there! Back in the late 70s when Colombian Red Bud and Gold prevailed. A ton of those classic Sativa's were grown there.I swear um not exaggerating.I have walked through patches where you would think you were in the woods.Like trees! 16,17,18 ft tall and maybe even much more.I stuck to hybreds.White Widow,white Rhino,NL etc.The man is on constant air patrol down there now a days.grew a few Jack Herer and Durban poison there once and even after tying down to ground with green rope the sides all grew WAY,WAY too tall.Was certain I would get busted that fall!! Anyway,its good to hear from someone who knows what im talking about! Peace

How about indoors tent grown plants, in a fairly clean environment - so they "need" a wash? No point in it? A first time grower, I've only just read about this...
I do/did because it’ll wash the dust, any foliage spray residue, and in my case lady bug poo and mites off my buds.
649FBFCB-FD6F-465B-9AE9-4AC68B715D92.jpeg

I read many articles and decided on doing my own process.
#1- Warm water with 1:3 ratio H202
#2- Room Temp 1/2 cup “real lemon” juice and 1/2 baking soda with and aeration stone.
#3- Cooler plain tap water
#4- Room temp spring or RO water

The H202 is usually used when PM is present. I didn’t have PM, but decided to use it due to the amount of mites I had, and it just seemed like a good thing to do. I use warm water to help release the oils from the buds that were in my mite spray. (Your trics won’t melt off from the warm water)

I heard the “Real Lemon” juice has a preservative in it that helps with the cure, and baking soda is a natural agitater so I decided to use it also. The air stone was an added measure to knock any stubborn debris off the buds.

I heard that cold water is not good for trics as they will break off easier, but some people say that “blanching” the buds bring out more trics and improve the colors. I didn’t want to use cold water, but this bucket is cooler than the other three.

Lastly I have the purest water of all the buckets at room temp. I hang for a week minimum with a light indirect breeze. The drying environment is around 75F @60%. My buds are way tastier than store bought buds without any “funky” tastes.

Trimmed
55612671-7F77-454A-8249-4C816C654E72.jpeg

Washed
B931C7CA-40AF-4FE6-AF11-044F1402CDF7.jpeg

Hung
54ADE1F1-30F9-4477-A6AD-B6B753574E02.jpeg

Keep your drying buds out of the lights
74B1CC29-A4BE-4BA5-B1B3-A38944A243D1.jpeg

Thanks, @Calvados @AdaminCO!

My initial thought is that it'd be hard to bring myself to wash the buds - I want to be gentle with the pretty flowers... :D

In the numerous harvesting guides I've read and watched, there has been no mention of washing. I guess I wanted to get a feel for how prevalent this practice is. However, I'm willing to try, so I'll first be washing one bud/cola and see how the water looks, then take it from there.

Thanks, @Calvados @AdaminCO!

My initial thought is that it'd be hard to bring myself to wash the buds - I want to be gentle with the pretty flowers... :D

In the numerous harvesting guides I've read and watched, there has been no mention of washing. I guess I wanted to get a feel for ho prevalent this practice is. However, I'm willing to try, so I'll first be washing one bud/cola and see how the water looks, then take it from there.
Jorge Cervantes has a video on it. I trust anything that man says when it comes to cannabis. Lol!
You want hurt the buds, just don’t be rough and knock them around in the buckets.
If you’re worried about losing trics, just load another bowl. The loss you’d have wouldn't amount to anything.

Back
Top Bottom