Washing harvested plants

Vasdef

So I read about using baking soda, lemon juice, water in a bucket to wash. Is this done if you used chemicals on pests? Or do you do this ritual no matter what? I'm growing hydro.
Thanks!

So I read about using baking soda, lemon juice, water in a bucket to wash. Is this done if you used chemicals on pests? Or do you do this ritual no matter what? I'm growing hydro.
Thanks!
Hey @Vasdef hope you are well my friend.
I've tried washing plants before and the amount of dirt and debris coming off surprised me.
But I didn't notice any difference in the smoke quality.
It's a lot of extra work but worth trying at least once to see for yourself.
If you have been spraying I'd recommend it.
If not it's a growers preference.
Does work but not a necessity.
Stay safe.
Bill

Hey @Vasdef hope you are well my friend.
I've tried washing plants before and the amount of dirt and debris coming off surprised me.
But I didn't notice any difference in the smoke quality.
It's a lot of extra work but worth trying at least once to see for yourself.
If you have been spraying I'd recommend it.
If not it's a growers preference.
Does work but not a necessity.
Stay safe.
Bill
Thanks for that Bill. I was thinking of skipping it this grow. I have read it was mostly necessary for outdoor grows. Spraying makes sense too. To protect the trichomes I’m going to dry the whole plant instead of cutting branches, also slows the cure. Hard to dunk a whole plant.

I part water cure some of my bud in weak H2O2 and the gunk that comes off/out surprises me every time
Firm believer that it does improve the smoke but y'know, if folks want to smoke dirty sap that's their prerogative
Hey Bill - over to yours now to catch up, hope all is well my friend

Bud wash in 1/3 cup lemon juice + 1/3 cup baking soda inna 5 gal bucket with 2 rinse buckets plain water.

Once we tried it then skipped then I've never not washed after skipping.

My impressions are the flower tastes better and its clean.

I mainly wash cause I always have some pest in the grow room. Sometimes multiple pests. Not every plant but enough to wanna wash em off. Helps to get rid of them instead of hanging plants with a few pests still on em alive they make their way back into the flower room.

Yeah I’m indoors grower but

look at the funk of lint built up on your exhaust fans, yup its nasty

what about pests sprays or foliar feeding on your chicks?

trichs are stuck to the biomass like glue, it takes boiling water or a solvent to clean your trim snips - therefore trichs are not water soluble…

once you see how nasty the first bucket of water is you will be convinced

helps the dry cure phase go more smoothly

I wash everything, every time right at harvest, hang for 4 hours to drip dry then proceed as normal

I don’t use baking soda & lemon just bud soak in each of 3 buckets 5 gallons lukewarm tap water every bud stays under for 3 to 5 minutes before moving to next bucket

h202 can be used in first wash bucket to effervesce bugs / poop away on heavily infested plants

I will be washing/dunking. I’m outdoor in a forest with thousands of trees, deer in the back 40 chasing apples as well as all other sorts of wildlife and a residential community not all that far away, so who knows what they have been up to.
Who knows what’s been blowing around this season.
I’ve tried and abused many other growing techniques, so why not try a wash while I’m at it lol
+ We have dogs with needles for fur that weave their way in to everything in the house and they relax in the same area as the ladies. Yuk.

Supplies in hand. 4-25L deep bins, h2o2, lemon juice and soda all from the dollar store.

I’ll give them a whirl when it’s time :)

H2o2 once you dilute in a 5 gal bucket its pretty much moot at that point. My thought on it anyways. 3% peroxide mixed into 5ish gal of water, doubt there's much extra o2 left tbh.
Agreed
However if you use food grade you can make better h202.
Expensive yes, however I reuse mine for over a year now. I screen out the heavy stuff and when I done all my washing I'll run it all through a coffee filter then back into the bucket ready for next time. IMO it's h202 it ain't gonna go bad. Put a tiny pinhole in the lid if you're concerned about pressure build up.

My bucket is definitely stronger than 3%, that said I test by reaction on a concrete floor.

Ok.... lets talk h2o2.

It's extremely unstable. There's an extra Oxygen molecule that is looking to attach to something other than the other O molecule in water so as soon as we mix the 2 together that extra molecule reacts and breaks down quickly releases its bond to the other O molecule and turns into water and oxygen. That reaction is how you can make things like cleaning and bleaching and heating happen. There are other reactions we can make happen as well.

What happens if you mix hydrogen peroxide with water?

Hydrogen peroxide reacts very fast. It will than disintegrate into hydrogen and water, without the formation of byproducts. This increases the amount of oxygen in water. Pollutions are decomposed by free oxygen radicals, and only water remains.

Hmm Ok I guess... I'm no chemist by any stretch.
Where I'm confused is if it is only water then why does it sting when I get it on my hands? Also why does it still react when I drip it on a dirty concrete floor?

Back
Top Bottom