To air cool or not to air cool

ReactiveLlama

Hi,

I will be growing in a small converted wardrobe of about 21" by 48" and 72" high. I want to use a 400 Watt HPS. The question is in such a small area with a 400 Watt light do I need a air cooled hood?

I'd like to get the light as close to the plants as possible so I was going to buy a hood with glass anyway, but between the size of the hood and tubing for venting a fan, ect I wasn't sure if it was needed. I was considering just mounting a fan on the flange and letting it suck/blow the air over the light and exhaust that air into the cab and have that air exhausted through the carbon filter/fan that will be handling the main ventilation.

Another consideration is that this is a stealth grow cab so I want to limit the number of holes I have to cut. In fact I'd like to keep all the holes to either the back wall or top.

Opinions/thoughts?

Thanks!

In that area, Hell yes.... Look at a cool tube, lower profile then a hood.....

The intake for the light can be on the back and the exhaust could come out the top. Sounds like one of the grow cabinets.. Check them out and see if you can snag any ideas...

Okay, I looked around and found a reflector called the Cool Star which looks like a cool tube style, it's 22" long so that gives me some room to work with.

Another question on the subject since it just occured to me. Do you mount the fan at the reflector or at the intake (with the air blowing through the reflector, not being sucked through)? I ask because sound is an issue and I was hoping to use a cheaper Axial fan to cool the light since there will be no carbon filter to pull air through. With the fan inside mounted to the hood it may be a little quieter than if it was mounted on the wall of the cabinet.

Thanks!!:bong:

Back
Top Bottom