To cut or not to cut that is the?

74firebird

fan leaves ladies and gents! do i get them out the way of bud sites now,or wait till flowering and just cut the ones that are blocking light,or just dont cut at all? thank you!

I am a mutilator. I will bend some plants over to fill in gaps in the plot but mostly I top them. I do cut out fan leaves to let more light onto lower bud sites right along in the grow. Heck, I cut a few off just about every day I’m back there. I feel removing fan leaves helps to let smaller plants/stems get more light and better compete with the taller plants. To encourage lower bud sites to grow I’ll top the plant and let the lower site catch up to the upper ones. Taking some fan leaves out in the process is not an issue with me.

Sure, topping does slow growth upwards but it promotes lateral growth and helps keep the terminal bud sites closer to the same height. I also get that many more terminal bud sites. Perhaps they are not as large as if I didn’t top but I’m not into size, I’m into quality. They have all summer and I’m not looking for a 20’ tall plant, I’m looking for what gives me the best return for my time and space. I have never had any detrimental effects from removing fan leaves. Perhaps the stem I removed one from didn’t get a percentage larger due to it but a lower bud got that much fatter from having done it.

This year I have G13 along with BG, BB and PPP. The Sativa has not needed any leaf removal, only topping. Folks weren’t kidding when they said they get tall and lanky! The indicas have needed lots of leaves trimmed as I bent them over and topped and there are lots of bud sites. From my perspective, it has turned a leafy bush into a buddy bush. I do not go hog wild in pruning, only the ones that I can see are or will grow to shade a bud site.

Why don’t you start with one or two and see if you like the results? If they are getting good sun and soil it will only be a few days and you will notice results one way or the other.

thanx www,im growing master kush and i lst'd them i have bud sites everywhere,the plants are bushy but the fan leaves are abundant i was just wondering,thanx for the advice!

Some of them I will clip, lots of them I just tuck under and out of the way. It is very plant dependent for me. I take it on a plant by plant basis.
It also (for me) depends on how big the plant is... the bigger the plant, the more leaves, the more options I have in thinning it out!
The important thing I think is to have uniform light coverage while not hindering growth!

Back
Top Bottom