Topping? When, where and why?

prettynough2b

Hello friends. I keep getting mixed advise on whether or not to top my ladies. So i figured id ask all of you for your opinions and advise.
420-magazine-mobile363510223.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1930582260.jpg
420-magazine-mobile788094756.jpg
420-magazine-mobile683661977.jpg

Yes they are clones. A friend gave them to me around christmas. Ive done no toppings yet myself and was sure if i should. (In the picture on the bottom) i have tried to make her bushier by bending the two main branches and she seems to love it. Also how long should my veg state last before i should change the light/dark times? (Currently doing 21/3)

I would reduce the light on times to something more natural, like 16 on, 8 off, in veg.

Do you have a bigger space to flower in or is that your whole area?

If you do have another space, I would take the biggest one and send her straight into 12/12 (or, 11 on/13 off)

I would reduce the light on times to something more natural, like 16 on, 8 off, in veg.

Do you have a bigger space to flower in or is that your whole area?

If you do have another space, I would take the biggest one and send her straight into 12/12 (or, 11 on/13 off)

Normal light schedule during veg would be 18 on, 6 off. Not the other way around.

To answer the OP. You top to make a bushier plant and thus increase production. Simply put, you turn a single branch into multiple branches. I usually top after the third node of true leaves. So when you get a new node with a new set of leaves, you will see 2 sets of growth at the base of the new leaves. If you cut (or top) above these 2 bushy parts, these will become the dominant growth (because they are higher and closer to the light) and both start growing. One branch becomes 2.

I sometimes top after the second set of nodes because these are usually fairly close to the first nodes and when you top there, you sometimes get 4 nodes of dominant growth. The 2 new (2nd) nodes will be dominant and if the bushy stuff from the first node is close enough it will become dominant as well. So you end up with 4 new dominant branches.

Google some articles and/or watch some Youtube vids and experiment yourself. With practice and experience you'll be able to form a plant to your liking. Some people get pretty extreme with "training" their plants.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Sharky

This is a picture of a plant right after I topped it. The tiny little growth on the left and right at the base of the leaves will become two strong new branches. BTWs, I probably could have cut this a little lower but it worked fine. You need to be careful not to cut the little bushy stuff off when you top the main branch. Also, see how close the nodes are? The bushy growth at 6 o'clock (at 12 o'clock too but you cant see it in the picture) sometimes becomes dominant as well, that's when you'll get a bonus couple branches.

20141213_150702.jpg

By the way, clones usually have uneven nodes. Instead of having leaves coming out both sides, one node will pop out the right side and the next one will pop out the left and it will continue to alternate. You can still top clones but its a little bit different. Read up and watch some vids.

Sharky

Back
Top Bottom