Training aid for watering container plants

jaybirdz

A simple training aid for new growers to assist learning container plant watering skills.

Tools and Materials

- used food container with screw on lid, 5-6" diameter, 6 or more inches tall

- drill and bits

- scissors or aviation snips

1. cut bottom off container keeping top half and lid. The lid will become the bottom of your new container

2. drill drainage holes either in lid or in my case I chose the shoulder next to the threads where the lid screws on

3. Screw on the bottom and your done

How it works:

By "unscrewing" the bottom of the container carefully the grower can check the water content of the soil under the seedling where the roots are to determine if its time to water or not. Once that determination is made the bottom can be screwed back on.

Usage

1. Add soils and seed. A few days after germination unscrew bottom and check moisture content of the soil, screw bottom back on and adjust watering as necessary.

2. The important part. On watering days observe the plant's leaves and soil surface. How does the plant look different? Are the leaves droopy? Is there a visible gap between the soil and container sides like the soil has shrunk inward towards the plant's stem? These and other observations will help the grower in the future when they transplant their plant into a larger container.

3. Learning HOW a plant looks after watering and when it needs water is key with this project. Hope this helps somebody understand when its time to give their plants a drink.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

I run PPK system.. always looking for another way to transplant from veg to bloom that doesnt impact root ball at transfer.
Using Turface MVP (basically cat litter..clay chips) I've learned that transplanting from veg to bloom is better for continued growth if the media is wetter than drier. Turface (MVP) become basically a liquid if/when wet. Trying to contain or not disturb root ball when wet (which isn't a ball at this point) is a PITA.. I will try to use this/your idea for propagation to veg stage of next run.. will additionally, cut container vertically top to bottom. The screw on lid will hold the bottom 2 halves together and couple pieces of gorilla tape holding the 2 sides together. Upon transfer to bloom container, take screw off top/bottom off place in new bloom container, take off tape holding 2 sides together remove it back fill with more Turface and done.. well see if it works well.. Thanks for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom