Training....huh?

Cannibal

As the title implies, I'm a newb.

Is training primarily for grows that are under space limitations, or is training good for any plant? I've got plenty of room in my grow room, although I feel crowded with 8' ceilings, so I don't know if there would be any benefit. Honestly, I'd feel kind of bad about causing distress to the ladies I spend so much time, energy, and money caring for. Then again, I'm a hammock kind of dude, so I guess I'm a tree hugger from the get-go.

My grow is just getting started; the clones have been in the system for less than 24 hours at this point. I'm thinking if I'm going to train, I need to start getting ready to do so. I've cruised many a thread about training and I think I get it. I'm just wondering if it is worthwhile since I have plenty of vertical room.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? All are welcome.

As the title implies, I'm a newb.

Is training primarily for grows that are under space limitations, or is training good for any plant? I've got plenty of room in my grow room, although I feel crowded with 8' ceilings, so I don't know if there would be any benefit. Honestly, I'd feel kind of bad about causing distress to the ladies I spend so much time, energy, and money caring for. Then again, I'm a hammock kind of dude, so I guess I'm a tree hugger from the get-go.

My grow is just getting started; the clones have been in the system for less than 24 hours at this point. I'm thinking if I'm going to train, I need to start getting ready to do so. I've cruised many a thread about training and I think I get it. I'm just wondering if it is worthwhile since I have plenty of vertical room.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? All are welcome.

Hi there Cannibal

Depends on the strain, how much horizontal room you have and type of lights. Training early will make them spread out but side branches can be topped to get them bushy closer to the main stem. If you let them veg longer and grow taller don't forget to allow for stretching when they start flowering. Some strains can double in height by the time they're done.

If you're using CFLs you want to keep them bushy and the canopy even for best usage of the available light. If you're going to use HIDs the light penetration is much better and the plants can be taller. Just don't run out of head room! lol

I didn't top any of mine but I'm training some of the tops that stick up to keep the canopy even and let the shorter ones catch up. If you're going to train wait a while until you've got a half dozen sets of true leaves and the plants are well established and growing well.

Good growing!

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom