Transplant question?

Mrblunts420

I planted a random seed in my front planter about 3 weeks ago not expecting anything. Its hard desert dirt. Wondering how to transplant into small pot with ocean forest? And if it big enough to transfer yet? Please help my first grow. If you go to my other post it shows my grow box I will be growing in.
420-magazine-mobile388583279.jpg

I would recommend you use a hand spade and "cut" straight down at least 3-4 inches away from the seedling, going the full depth of the "blade", all the way around, and then carefully use the spade to lift the seedling and the attached dirt out of the hole you just made. Do your best not to hold it by the seedling obviously, support it with the dirt, mostly, if possible.

To remove as much of the attached dirt as possible, you could either dunk it in some water to moisten it and hopefully have most of it fall away from the plant, or pour water over it with it resting in your hand / on the ground or something (safer method). Once done, simply gently place it inside the hole you hopefully made earlier in the pre-moistened FFOF. Alternatively, if you don't feel like risking any plant damage, just plant it, dirt and all, in your Ocean Forest mix.

Remember to water once you're done, and don't touch the root at all if you can help it, they're very delicate.

Edit : Oh and as to if it's ready; this is probably a case of sooner is better, since the roots are likely going to start searching around for nutrients and water quite a bit if it's just planted in some hard desert soil, which makes it more likely you'll slice into them when you make the "cuts". That said, FFOF is "hot" soil from what I've seen people say about it, and it might be a bit much for a super young seedling.
Experienced FFOF input here would be pretty beneficial.

NonyaBis! Thank you for the advice I'm going to start to get it carefully removed soon.... Do you have any recommendations for a medium that would be less harsh for my seedling?

Supposedly Fox Farms Happy Frog is a "more gentle" soil to start them off in, if you're interested in going with another FF product. But honestly, the Ocean Forest stuff is probably safe. I've just read a few stories about people burning their seedlings with it, but it seems the overwhelming majority don't have any issues, so there may have been other factors. Just make sure you start it off with nothing but properly pHed water.

I should point out that I have no experience with any Fox Farms stuff, at all, aside from reading up on it. Sadly it's not available up here in the great white (currently very damp) north. That's why I suggest getting some input from someone who's actually used it, if possible, heh.

Oh, one thing to make sure you do though, is ensure proper aeration, add some perlite (rinsed if it needs it) to the mix or something. You'll have a hell of a hard time doing that after you've got it all nice and potted.

Lol its all good, more experience then me haha, ive learned alot from on here and my marijuana growers guild, trying to get the most out of what im working with. Great white North huh? Washington...? I'm in the SoCal.

nice I have fam up there in BC. Its hot and fuxing dry as shit out here..which makes it harder to get temps and humidity correct.

Back
Top Bottom