Transplanting my clones - but what medium?

xcaret

420 Member
I'm looking to transplant my 2 clones ,they are poking their roots tough the jiffy pellets . I'm wondering what medium to use.
I have lots of steer manure ,and read that it's got lots of nutrients suitable for MJ. What % should i use in plain dirt, or maybe mix it with potting soil ?

How well rotted is the muck? Unless it's really well composted it'll be too hot and burn your babies
I'd plant the clones into plain potting mix; if you wanna make up a soil, you'll need more than just manure and it needs to break down for a while after mixing - myco, lime, frass and stuff like that

Would I just stay with the potting soil through the whole life of the plant , fertilizing it as needed ?
My manure isn't all that rotted .
I have virgin soil too, (only cattle have been on it ,never a crop) . Could I mix it 50 % with the potting soil ?

Would I just stay with the potting soil through the whole life of the plant , fertilizing it as needed ?
My manure isn't all that rotted .
I have virgin soil too, (only cattle have been on it ,never a crop) . Could I mix it 50 % with the potting soil ?
No, raw or uncomposted manure will fry your plants! Get quality potting soil or coco, if you want to go that route. It takes a season to age manure.

You can and probably should go that route until you have picked up some experience with growing the plants. It takes a bit of experience to be able to fertilize as needed because that will happen as you learn how to read the plant. Until then fertilize according to the schedule.

Pick a brand of fertilizer that is considered best for growing the same plants as you will be. Do not buy a fertilizer just because it costs less than the other brands. Take your time and look at several different ones. Find the schedule for how much and how often to feed the plant and be sure that you understand it.

Probably best to go to a grow shop for fertilizers. I notice that you have been to Lowes and Home Depot to buy potting soil and if the place you live can have one or more of each of those stores then there is a good chance you have grow shops or hydroponic stores in the area. They will have the potting soils that many here use and talk about. They will have the fertilizers that many here use.

Try to have an idea of what you are looking for because the people in these stores will be giving you so much information that it can become confusing really quick. Go to find out about potting soils and fertilizer one day and then plan another trip to find out about lights. Trying to remember everything when it is new usually means that nothing is properly remembered.

Before long everything starts to fall into place.

Back
Top Bottom