Tray watering in RQS fabric pots?

Spain1

Had a plan of putting just an inch of water in my bottom trays for slight uptake as clay pebbles at bottom. Sort of to encourage root growth downward and cool medium ( soil ). Inch high pebbles in trays usually to keep bottom dried / airflow. Advisable or a terrible plan ? ..Autos 3 weeks old, LST biggest one today and thinking of giving them their 1st proper nute feed tomorrow morning, only being mixing what was left in Nitrogen cap after shaking whilst they were seedlings, all have 2 to 6 proper leaves now , which I will mist after sundown tonight then go 1/4 recommended bottle dose before going on the balconay tomorrow. Temp outside 28c , in shade...so thinking after just pouring small amounts 4 inches from stems so far, really give them a dousing tomorrow...1 ltr inc nute in each ? Any obvious idiocy in the plan ? 1st time outdoor Auto grower. Thank in advance for advice.

You'd probably be better off putting your bags on a perlite bed reservoir. The perlite will wick the water and transfer it to the bag but your roots won't be submerged in water which could lead to root rot. That's called a Swick.

I use this method for photo period plants indoors with 36 plants in 4L pots in a 120x120cm tent and it works very well, even with 36 different plants grown from seed.

No need for pebbles or perlite in the tray, fabric pots will wick up the water in no time, just make sure you have an aerated soil mix (lots of perlite etc. in the soil mix) then you'll never get root rot.

A good tip is to water with 25-33% of the combined soil volume, e.g. 10x 11L pots = 110L soil, water with 27-36L of water.
When pots are getting light, it's time to water again.

Happy growing :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom