Trimming opinions and suggestions

daveclark

Just finished a wet trim of GG4 after 78 days since sprout..grown outdoors in 3 gallon pots with minimal nutes. Yield was less than I had hoped for, 64/grams +/_ wet. Another plant I harvested yesterday had a yield of 93/grams +/-
20190827_130532.jpg
20190827_130552.jpg
20190827_130602.jpg

I would like opinions/suggestions regarding how I am doing with my trimming? Sure doesn't look like the buds I get at the store, but then again, I did this by hand and they use a mechanical trimmer.

Also, some of the buds/sugar leaves I couldn't quite get to are brown and dried...not mold, right, just dried flower?

I plan to go back after drying for some touch up, but just want to see if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!

Dave

Yield kinda stinks, but that's why I "mostly" stick with photos. As far as the bud appearance goes, they just haven't been smooshed together yet like bag weed. If you compressed it a bit, it would look much more like what you get from a bag. Doesn't look moldy to me.

Just finished a wet trim of GG4 after 78 days since sprout..grown outdoors in 3 gallon pots with minimal nutes. Yield was less than I had hoped for, 64/grams +/_ wet. Another plant I harvested yesterday had a yield of 93/grams +/-

I would like opinions/suggestions regarding how I am doing with my trimming? Sure doesn't look like the buds I get at the store, but then again, I did this by hand and they use a mechanical trimmer.

Also, some of the buds/sugar leaves I couldn't quite get to are brown and dried...not mold, right, just dried flower?
I have the feeling that you rushed it and the plant was not quite ready. 78 days from seed is 11 weeks. With an recommended average of 8 weeks from the start of flowering that leaves 3 weeks for the plant to grow. Don't know where you are so we have no idea if you had to do the plant early because of weather or something else.

Growing from seed in a small pot is tough.

I leave a lot of sugar on my buds. You could capture suger leaves and smoke them separately if ya like. Don't stress too much, this isn't a sculpting contest. Bud from dispensary never looks like my own trim job. I leave a lot for myself and others.

Here is a plant that was flowered from seed.

Before trim

After it dried I did cut off some leaves that had nothing good on them.

I didn't say it was auto, but it was! And as they say, I guess it is what it is...

My limited experience tells me that when I'm ready to jar, weight should be around 16 grams...of course, beggars can't be choosers...a little more than 1/2 oz is better than -0- ounces :).

I harvested now because the leaves were all turning brown, and I thought enough was enough.

I grew 5 of these, and this is by far the smallest yield...I expect that the 5 plants together should yield about 128 grams dry...not bad for a rank amateur...

BTW, I live in the northeast US.

Dave

Oh, about the trimming. It looks good. Some people take off to much of what they call the sugar leaves. Glad to see that you left some of them on. If you come visit let me know ahead of time and I will have some buds and you can help trim them to your heart's delight.:)

Another little trick to getting the buds look more like the ones in some dispensaries or outlets is to gently squeeze them while they are still moist. Not a lot of pressure, just be gentle. Doesn't make it smoke any better but it is what some people like to see. Plus it helps to hide the sugar leaves if someone just take a quick, casual glance.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom