Dry trimming, popcorn buds and bucket tumble trimming?

jokerlola

Hung and dried each plant intact and am now dry trimming 6 plants for the first time. I didn't defoliate as good as I should have and I am stuck with a lot of very small buds and trying to decide how to handle them. Do most here go to the trouble of trimming and jarring these or do you just put them in a bag for edibles/hash etc. and only trim and jar the best, decent size buds?

I am seeing videos on youtube of people using 5 gallon buckets to tumble trim their untrimmed buds by shaking them around in the bucket. Is this a viable, quick way to dry trim buds or does it cause too much damage and lost trichomes? The comments on these videos seem to be split 50/50 by those that say it works great and those that say you are ruining your buds.

On my first 2 grows I wet trimmed then hung and dried. This grow of 6 plants, I decided to hang the whole plant and dry trim for the first time which I think was a mistake because it is even harder than I imagined so it's taking me much longer.

Hung and dried each plant intact and am now dry trimming 6 plants for the first time. I didn't defoliate as good as I should have and I am stuck with a lot of very small buds and trying to decide how to handle them. Do most here go to the trouble of trimming and jarring these or do you just put them in a bag for edibles/hash etc. and only trim and jar the best, decent size buds?

I am seeing videos on youtube of people using 5 gallon buckets to tumble trim their untrimmed buds by shaking them around in the bucket. Is this a viable, quick way to dry trim buds or does it cause too much damage and lost trichomes? The comments on these videos seem to be split 50/50 by those that say it works great and those that say you are ruining your buds.

On my first 2 grows I wet trimmed then hung and dried. This grow of 6 plants, I decided to hang the whole plant and dry trim for the first time which I think was a mistake because it is even harder than I imagined so it's taking me much longer.
I always wet trim and the tiny scraggly buds just go in to the trim bag for hash and tink! I've tried trimming them Buds and by the time they're all dried out they don't really amount to much anyways so into the hash or tink they go! :peace: :green_heart::blunt:

Look at my profile pic. That's CCO I made a few weeks ago cooking off the grain alcohol and decarbing. It's so friggin easy..to blow yourself up.. lol but not lol ok..really be safe.

I decided to try drying the whole plants this time because we were having an unexpected record cold front coming so I didn't have a lot of time to get plants cut trimmed and hung and I was reading and watching videos that said that dry trimmed cannabis will give you a better product but I should have done at least half dry trimmed half wet trimmed to see which I liked the best. It has been just too much on 6 plants.

I chopped and hung a whole plant on my very first grow 9 years ago when I got a free clone from a medical dispensary when they were offering all the freebies when medical cannabis first started in Colorado. I didn't know what I was doing at all and had my cousin trim it up for me so I never dealt with trimming the dry plant. I didn't grow again until 2018 and only wet trimmed then and 2019.

Thanks for the comments. I will put the small stuff in a bag for concentrates and only trim and jar the good buds.

I decided to try drying the whole plants this time because we were having an unexpected record cold front coming so I didn't have a lot of time to get plants cut trimmed and hung and I was reading and watching videos that said that dry trimmed cannabis will give you a better product but I should have done at least half dry trimmed half wet trimmed to see which I liked the best. It has been just too much on 6 plants.

I chopped and hung a whole plant on my very first grow 9 years ago when I got a free clone from a medical dispensary when they were offering all the freebies when medical cannabis first started in Colorado. I didn't know what I was doing at all and had my cousin trim it up for me so I never dealt with trimming the dry plant. I didn't grow again until 2018 and only wet trimmed then and 2019.

Thanks for the comments. I will put the small stuff in a bag for concentrates and only trim and jar the good buds.
So you don't have a preference yet on wet trimming or dry trimming? I'm very curious. As I said before I always try and wet trim because dry trimming just seems like a pain in the butt to me.

Look at my profile pic. That's CCO I made a few weeks ago cooking off the grain alcohol and decarbing. It's so friggin easy..to blow yourself up.. lol but not lol ok..really be safe.
I'm gonna do the instapot thing with mine.

I hang dry plants.

I hand trim.

Popcorn gets trimmed just like the rest but I trim all the big tops first leave the laf (popcorn) for last. I do use a bucket to take the popcorn branches off and put them in the bucket for after I'm done trimming the flowers.

6 plants - you better get busy. I try and stagger my harvest so I don't have all that to trim at once. 6 plants for me is like 2 weeks full time trimming by myself. 2 weeks is too long the good flower will get too dry. We can trim 1 plant a day with 2 trimmers but thats big plants.

So you don't have a preference yet on wet trimming or dry trimming? I'm very curious. As I said before I always try and wet trim because dry trimming just seems like a pain in the butt to me.
Yes, my preference is to wet trim now. Dry trimming is just too hard for me. Although, one of the strains I grew (Silver Mountain) was much easier than the Super Lemon Haze and the Harlequin. One thing I also don’t like is seeing the puffs of trichomes getting shook off as I dry trim. I will only dry trim again if I have a “Trim Bin” to catch those knocked off trichomes.

My plants aren’t that big. They did get chopped at slightly different times but even though my 3 strains started flowering at different times, (By the trichomes) they were all ready at roughly the same time with only a few days difference! I’ve been able to do a plant a day and have been trimming as they have been ready from drying. I have 2 plants to go and got a couple of days off since they are not quite dry enough yet.

Yes, my preference is to wet trim now. Dry trimming is just too hard for me. Although, one of the strains I grew (Silver Mountain) was much easier than the Super Lemon Haze and the Harlequin. One thing I also don’t like is seeing the puffs of trichomes getting shook off as I dry trim. I will only dry trim again if I have a “Trim Bin” to catch those knocked off trichomes.
Thanks for the opinion! Nice strains by the way! Hope the cure goes or went great! :peace:

I'm gonna do the instapot thing with mine.

I hang dry plants.

I hand trim.

Popcorn gets trimmed just like the rest but I trim all the big tops first leave the laf (popcorn) for last. I do use a bucket to take the popcorn branches off and put them in the bucket for after I'm done trimming the flowers.

6 plants - you better get busy. I try and stagger my harvest so I don't have all that to trim at once. 6 plants for me is like 2 weeks full time trimming by myself. 2 weeks is too long the good flower will get too dry. We can trim 1 plant a day with 2 trimmers but thats big plants.
I have to stagger my harvest. I don't have enough room in my bus for more then 2 big plant's ( and that's pushing it) to dry at a time. :rollit:

I would like to change my answer upon my last trimming. If the bud has any kind of meat any substance at all I trim it up and keep it in my popcorn jar.
IMG_0677.jpg
If there's no meat it gets cut up and into the hash jar

I prefer the wet trim. I take off all the Fan Leaves before I chop the plant down & I may even spend 2 - 3 days removing them. Then I cut off the branches & hang dry. I leave any sugar leaves till it's dry & then just do a very minor trim to remove the wild leaves that stick out. It's much easier to trim when the plant is still in the pot then trying to trim after you cut the branches off.
This is what mine look like before I chop & hang to dry.

Hanging the whole plant is a pia. I like to cut the branches let it hang upside down a day and then flip them right side up again. The big leaves will usually be more limp and will hang right out from the branches making that part of trimming a little easier. I'm sorta on the fence about your task, I wish I had that much to trim but no I dont wish I had to trim and cure it lol

Back
Top Bottom