Trying some new things

So I started a winter grow in my 6.5x6.5 tent . Two Bestva 2000W with veg/flower (385w draw ea.), FFOF soil in 40 qt. bags, lighs were on 20/4. but I recenlty dropped them to 18/6. 2 Do si do's, and 1 Northern lights, all autos. Seeds sprouted the second week of October, and were transplanted into their final bags about 5 days after sprouting. They vegged until late November when they began their stretch and started to flower. Been in flower about 4 weeks. So this is what I did a little differently. Based on a suggestion by Emilya, I put the lights as close to the plants as I could, without causing light burn, about 12 inches. I also varied my PH when watering, sometimes I'd go as low as 5.7, and then next time I'd go about 6.2, seemed to work well as I have no issues with nutes or lockout. Temps in the tent run from about 68 degrees to 82 degrees, depending on when the fans last kicked on. RH hovers between 43 and 55%. It has been cold, so night temps are getting into the low-mid 60's when the lights are off. Doesn't seem to affect them much. Leaving both the veg/bloom lights on. Nutes are the Fox Farm trio with Bush doctor (cal-mag) every other watering at about 1/2 to 2/3rds strength. Just now losing a few of the oldest fan leaves, but they've done their job. One of the interesting things is that the last grow with Do sido's and Northern lights, which was in the early spring (March), (seeds purchased at the same time), all the plants were very purple. This time no purple at all, and the night temps are muh lower than in the spring, I'ts been really cold (for California) the last few weeks. I plan on turning the lights down to about 12/12/ as the buds start to mature, in order to get a little more terpines. The buds are looking good, so I will try this again. Figure I've got at least 5 weeks to go, sorry for the picute quality, I don't have good way to get natural light on them, so this is by flashlight:

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

So I started a winter grow in my 6.5x6.5 tent . Two Bestva 2000W with veg/flower (385w draw ea.), FFOF soil in 40 qt. bags, lighs were on 20/4. but I recenlty dropped them to 18/6. 2 Do si do's, and 1 Northern lights, all autos. Seeds sprouted the second week of October, and were transplanted into their final bags about 5 days after sprouting. They vegged until late November when they began their stretch and started to flower. Been in flower about 4 weeks. So this is what I did a little differently. Based on a suggestion by Emilya, I put the lights as close to the plants as I could, without causing light burn, about 12 inches. I also varied my PH when watering, sometimes I'd go as low as 5.7, and then next time I'd go about 6.2, seemed to work well as I have no issues with nutes or lockout. Temps in the tent run from about 68 degrees to 82 degrees, depending on when the fans last kicked on. RH hovers between 43 and 55%. It has been cold, so night temps are getting into the low-mid 60's when the lights are off. Doesn't seem to affect them much. Leaving both the veg/bloom lights on. Nutes are the Fox Farm trio with Bush doctor (cal-mag) every other watering at about 1/2 to 2/3rds strength. Just now losing a few of the oldest fan leaves, but they've done their job. One of the interesting things is that the last grow with Do sido's and Northern lights, which was in the early spring (March), (seeds purchased at the same time), all the plants were very purple. This time no purple at all, and the night temps are muh lower than in the spring, I'ts been really cold (for California) the last few weeks. I plan on turning the lights down to about 12/12/ as the buds start to mature, in order to get a little more terpines. The buds are looking good, so I will try this again. Figure I've got at least 5 weeks to go, sorry for the picute quality, I don't have good way to get natural light on them, so this is by flashlight:

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG
Hello @Phytoplankton hope you are having a good day my friend.
Your ladies are amazing.
Just to clarify your something different was dropping the light and letting ph drift somewhat
It seems to be helpful as they are very happy ladies. :thumb:
Good work.

Stay safe
Bill

Hello @Phytoplankton hope you are having a good day my friend.
Your ladies are amazing.
Just to clarify your something different was dropping the light and letting ph drift somewhat
It seems to be helpful as they are very happy ladies. :thumb:
Good work.

Stay safe
Bill
Yes, dropping the lights down close, PH drift, and cutting the nutes down a bit (my theory is we often over fertilize, which great for the fert makers, but can lead to lockouts). After looking at the PH ranges that certain nutes have, I decided to float the PH a little to get into the PH ranges where max absorbtion is. Most micronutrients like a little acid (5.0-6.0), while the macros like the 6.0 to 6.5 ranges, so I've been varying them. In addition my water is pretty lousy, the PPM's of dissolved solid can range from 500 PPM to over 1400 PPM, depending on what mix of well water the water compny is using, befoe the new well the PPM's could get into the 2400 range. I have to PH and PPM my water every time, sometimes if the PPM's ar too high I buy water.

Well, things are going pretty well. I'm about 5-6 weeks into flower, figure it will be another a 4-5 weeks, the pistils starting to turn brown. Getting some yellowing in the fan leaves, so I did a mid-flower, re-set flush, and that should hold to me through harvest. Man, 40 qt bags are hard to move around!!! Here's how they look:

IMG_2174.JPG

IMG_2175.JPG

IMG_2179.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

If 'floating pH' isn't a phrase, it ought to be - I do that too
I've occasionally rinsed plants in the shower and seen a growth spurt at pH 7.0+
I mix nutes, bio/A&B etc so pH anywhere between 5.5 - 6.5 is good, not too fussy
Looking fine Amigo :Namaste:

So far, these are the best looking autos I have grown. Cutting back on the nutes and floating the PH seems to have really helped growth. Normally, I need to do a re-set flush just about preflower stretch, so it delayed that chore for about a month. I did the same grow last year, these are the biggest autos I've ever grown.

So far, these are the best looking autos I have grown. Cutting back on the nutes and floating the PH seems to have really helped growth. Normally, I need to do a re-set flush just about preflower stretch, so it delayed that chore for about a month. I did the same grow last year, these are the biggest autos I've ever grown.
Totally agree re nutes/pH, tho I do the re-set week 2-3 of showing pistils, before PK & boosters

Back
Top Bottom