Two related questions: clone re-vegged grows asymmetrical & spirals, seeds with GA3

Vesti Bule

Greetings Experts!

So I am about to begin treating a clone just at the point of flowering with some GA3 to induce male pollen, the goal being to bank just a few seeds as backup. The strain is Kush n' Kookies CBD (very nice strain, very balanced and "centering" - now one of my all-time favorites) from the breeders at Garden of Green Seedbank.

The plant pictured is a clone taken a little late from a plant that had entered the early stages of flowering. It took root, re-vegged, and is now an established plant. As can be seen in the pics, much of the new growth on one side developed on a smaller scale and with a weird spiraling to the leaves (you can see a couple remaining spirals in two of the close-up pics). A little research indicates that odd growth patterns are common among re-vegged plants, so not too worried about fungus or some other pesky ailment.

My first question is whether self pollinating this plant (which I believe would make "S1" seeds) would harbor any genetic predisposition to grow in this strange pattern.

My second question is related but more generally about seed quality. Will the quality (germination rate, vigor, etc.) be better with the S1 as I have described it, or with pollen from this lady applied to another plant grown from another seed of the same strain? (Again, not interested in breeding a new strain, just making some backups of a given variety.)

I could get more seeds than I would know what to do with from just dedicating this modest clone to a seed run, so that would be ideal, but long-term quality matters too. Grow space is limited, and I hate the thought of wasting space and time fighting with mediocrity.

Really not looking for off-hand "guesses" here or reports on some rumor heard somewhere, just a bit of knowledge and advice from anyone with experience along these lines.

Thanks, all, in advance for the help, and be well!

Vesti

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_115713983.jpg
    IMG_20200215_115713983.jpg
    671.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200215_115726960.jpg
    IMG_20200215_115726960.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200215_115838955.jpg
    IMG_20200215_115838955.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20200215_115911219-1.jpg
    IMG_20200215_115911219-1.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200215_115911219.jpg
    IMG_20200215_115911219.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 71
Well Vesti, I am not an expert, but I just recently harvested about 2500 S1 Blue Dream seed. And popped 25 for my new grow. 24 of the 25 seeds germinated, 10 in the first 12 hrs.

Of those, I kept 20 (accidentally killed 4, whoops) which are all doing well.

I also have a Pineapple Chunk currently in-flower which has been treated with GA3 to produce seed. Be April before I see what I get, but the last run did well.

Hey Celt, thanks for the note, and glad to hear of the quality of your BD S1's. I kind of thought as much, but keep running into forum entries opining about how they produce less vigorous or sturdy plants.

Do you use gibberellic acid? I've never tried either of the Sodium compound options, and I have found Silver to be pretty laborious and quite hit-or-miss. This will be my first attempt with GA3.

Thanks again, and good luck with the Pineapple Chunk!

Vesti

I'm going to try Colloidal Silver on my mind. Heard good results.

About the curling... I am honestly not sure I haven't seen that before.It maybe genetics. I'm sure you will find the answers. But the plant over all looks ok... I'd carry on. Do you have a microscope? Can you look more closely to leaf and see if you see any bugs? Tiny things so ya have to look closely

That being said, if you have no bugs, and it turns out to be generic do you want that lineage? I do believe it continues generations but I am no expert but I'd buy new seeds and try again with a stronger plant perhaps? Just a thought

MK - Thanks for the response.

Yea, curling-wise I'm now resting assured it resulted from being re-vegged. I've used CS before, but it takes 2-3 weeks of daily spraying, and my results have been inconsistent. I think part of the problem is that my CS making apparatus can't produce a concentration much higher than 15ppm. 30ppm, as I understand it, is recommended - it can be purchased, c=of course, but the the amount necessary is out of the price range of this part-time college/university instructor. And yes, growing is both a fun, transgressive hobby, and the only way to afford a decent night's sleep, as it were.

Thanks again, and be well!

Damn missed the part about the leaves, that is most likely due to the reveg.

A clone from my original BD did that and was the mother of the 4 clones I self crossed. The original plant showed no signs of leaf oddities nore did the 4 clones I took off the one that did show it.

I thought it was interesting, the 5 blades stayed connected except for the points and looked like a pinwheel.

Back
Top Bottom