Update: Former Employee Is To Blame For Marijuana Arrest, Comedian Ron White Says

Johnny

VERO BEACH — Comedian Ron White is claiming his drug arrest last week is an extortion plot by a former employee angry over not getting a severance package.

The "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" star told the Atlanta Journal Constitution his former pilot, Scott Wolcott of Conyers, Ga., tipped off Vero Beach Police that he was carrying marijuana while flying Wednesday into the Vero Beach Municipal Airport to do two shows in Fort Pierce.

White, who was charged Wednesday with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, described the incident as "extortion, plain and simple."

Wolcott denied the allegations in a phone interview with the newspaper.

White didn't deny he was carrying marijuana. He said his California doctor prescribes him the drug for medical use, though he did not say for what condition. He admitted to knowing the prescription wasn't good in Florida.

The controversy has been kind to the comedian, according to the newspaper.

"My ticket sales have spiked. My book sales have spiked. My record sales have spiked," White told the newspaper Saturday.

Atlanta's WSB-TV Channel 2 Action News reported the Federal Aviation Administration is conducting an investigation into a May incident in which Wolcott and pilot Chris LaPlante allege White became drunk and enraged and tried to enter the cockpit on board his private jet, "Tater Air."

The pilots said White fired them after the alleged incident, according to WSB-TV.

Terry Lloyd, a lawyer for the comedian, told the TV station, "I have absolutely no confidence in any allegations they make against Ron White. They were terminated by him. They're nothing more than disgruntled former pilots."

Holding a glass of scotch in one hand and a cigarette or cigar in the other, White often includes jokes in his acts about being arrested and charged with public intoxication after being thrown out of a New York bar and booked in Texas with the alias "Tater Salad."

News Hawk: Johnny: 420 Magazine
Source: Vero Beach Press-Journal
Copyright: 2008 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Website: Former employee is to blame for marijuana arrest, comedian Ron White says

Back
Top Bottom