Upgrading lights in flower closet

Dave Groomer

I currently have a veg closet and a flower closet. They both are CFLs. I am thinking of upgrading my flower closet lights. I am looking into HPS or LED.

It is not a big space (2'dx3'wx6'h). I was thinking of 400w hps or equivalent led. What are the pros and cons of each? I am just starting to do my research so any input is welcome. I would like to have between 4 and 6 medium size plants at any given time. I am growing for a friend and myself who both have MS. I would love to be able to produce at least 2oz per month for us.

Thanks in advance.

Supergroomer

HPS will produce more heat, especially in a closet. If you have an easy way to install ventilation, the HPS will work great.
HPS are also pretty cheap now.
HPS will use more electricity, since you're looking at 400w+ for the ballast and bulb, plus electricity for a ventilation system.

LED works great in a closet that size (I am using 100x3w TopLed in a closet of almost identical size).
My temps never go above 81F with the doors closed, and I had no ventilation running. I recently installed ventilation to the attic, and temps never exceed 74F now.
LED can be about the same price of a CFL or HPS grow, but it depends on what you buy, and from where. The LED I bought is now $101.99 (From Mars-Hydro.com) if I remember correctly, and only uses 150-170 watts of power, but others claim other LED lights are more efficient, using less power than that, and have a higher output. But those also cost more..

Every LED manufacturer has advantages and disadvantages. Most of which are price vs. power use vs. output.

You can find all of our sponsors here: Sponsors : 420 MAGAZINE ®
On that list you'll find everything from seeds, to equipment. HPS setups, and LEDs from different manufacturers, and you can compare which works best for you.

Depending on how many CFLs you're using, you might be able to reduce it.
If you're using a total of 100 watts or less, the chances of reducing power consumption are slim, and the use of HPS will use 4 times the amount of power currently used.

On my grow I was using 14 bulbs for 2 plants, a total of 361 watts, yielding 3.15 ounces total. My goal in my light upgrade was to reduce power use (Using less than half the power I did before), with better plant growth (I am now seeing 4 branches on some nodes, and tons of offshoot branches growing from the main branches), and the final test will be how well my potency and yield improves, which I'll know in a few months. But other growers report great results with LEDs, some claiming them to be even better than HPS systems.

Why pick just one spectrum? TopLED/Mars-Hydro has a light, called the Reflector series that allows you to select which spectrum you want. You can grow with just a Veg spectrum, Just a Flower spectrum, or you can use both at the same time. Some other manufacturers have this feature as well, but I'm most familiar with TopLED's products since I'm using one myself. I am using the "Old Model" which is just a full spectrum light. Rating on my light is 100x3w. So a total of 100 diodes, each rated at 3w.
The sponsor I'm talking about: Mars Hydro LED - the Best Solutions for Horticulture and Indoor Plants

I do not supplement with side lighting at this time. I train my plants to grow short and wide, so all the lighting I give them is from above.
I complete this training by topping/FIM to encourage more branches and less height, and to further control height, I use LST (Low stress training) to tie the branches and train them to grow horizontally instead of vertical, and when I flower I continue training to keep all branches at the same height during the stretch phase.

Back
Top Bottom